- - - - -

Read The Book of Mormon in the home and as a family

42 replies to this topic

#21 Mykdiver

Mykdiver

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

Help me out here, but I heard it was said that if you read the scriptures daily as a family, your children would never go astray? I'm probably way off on that one.

Man if that is true my family needs to get hot. We are dealing with 2 out of control children, and I am sure the only answer to their issues is the Lord.
I deffinatly need to make daily family scripture study, and prayer a part of our routine!
My wife and I are at whits end with our 2 kids, we are almost convinced they are bad seeds (their birth Father was an alcoholic, chain smoker, very abusive and probably had mental disorders).
I do not think that there are "Just bad seeds", but man some time it really seems like that there is.
I know the answer to my families issues is in the scriptures, prayer, involvement in Church, and faith in the Lord.
I am just not sure how to get the kids involved in such a way to help them improve themselves and to head down the right path.
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I had to share it.
I am going to start family BOM study every day weather the kids like it or not, preferably they will like it.
Anyone have any ideas on how to make the study interesting to kids. My kids are 11 year old boy and a 13 year old girl?
My website dedicated to our Church and Savior: Latter Day Warriors
Proud member of the US Navy 17 years and counting.
I am an ET1(SS/DV) ET=Electronics Tech, 1=1st Class Petty Officer, or E-6, SS=Submarines, DV=Diver

Even prouder member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 2 years and counting

#22 Mykdiver

Mykdiver

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

I feel that we all need to study all the standards works, not just the Book of Mormon.
The Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley, made a challenge for everyone in the church, to read the Book of Mormon, in a year, I would like to give a similar challenge:

Read ALL the standard works.
At least once in your life, more if you can. On the churches web site, you can download all the standard works, and put them onto your mp3 player, I’m a delivery driver, and I was able to listen to all the standard works in three to four months, in my car. Here is the web address:
Audio
I think all of our lives would be enriched, if we read from the Book of Mormon, and the rest of the standard Works (including the Old Testament) every day of our lives.

On a side note... To read all the LDS standard Scriptures in a year you have to average 7 chapters a day. I am attempting this right now, but with a new born baby it is challenging. I am only averaging about 3 chapters a day.
My website dedicated to our Church and Savior: Latter Day Warriors
Proud member of the US Navy 17 years and counting.
I am an ET1(SS/DV) ET=Electronics Tech, 1=1st Class Petty Officer, or E-6, SS=Submarines, DV=Diver

Even prouder member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 2 years and counting

#23 rayhale

rayhale

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

In Sunday School we study the scriptures in a 4 year cycle. During the year that a given scripture is being studied, you can read the chapters for the following Sunday. This way you can, not only read the scriptures, but to study them.

#24 richlittell

richlittell

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

On a side note... To read all the LDS standard Scriptures in a year you have to average 7 chapters a day. I am attempting this right now, but with a new born baby it is challenging. I am only averaging about 3 chapters a day.

I read the B.O.M this summer somewhere between 30 and 45 days. It was not that difficult--equated to only about 10-25 minutes a day depending on how I felt (that was not study and ponder, that was just reading because that was my goal).

#25 richlittell

richlittell

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

Help me out here, but I heard it was said that if you read the scriptures daily as a family, your children would never go astray? I'm probably way off on that one.

Proverbs 22:6

6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I take that to mean primarily scripture study and prayer (but of course, that would be all things righteous like attending church, tithing etc..) Notice it doesn't say they will never depart (stray) in their youth, but they will not depart when they are old. Basically, either they never depart, or they temporarily stray but have a foundation upon which to return (after learning a lot of life's hard lessons for themselves).

Edited by richlittell, 13 September 2008 - 08:40 AM.

#26 MsCrispy

MsCrispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:32 PM

I'm not sure who's quote that was, but I do know that whoever said it was pretty accurate. I'm a single Mother of 5 (kids) who realized pretty quickly that my children needed all the help they could get to get by in this life. My children weren't always excepted in their quorums or young womens classes so they began to run with the tough crowd of kids. When Pres. Benson challenged the members of the church to read the B of M with their families on a regular basis, I took that challenge very seriously.

As a result every one of my grown children have stayed active in the church and have Temple Marriages. My youngest is planning to go on a Mission in a few years. Without the blessing of reading the B of M every night with my children I'm very sure they wouldn't have stayed close to the church.

Crispy^_^

#27 MsCrispy

MsCrispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Mykdiver,

I always had my kids read one chapter with me every night. As we went around the room, each of us read 3 versus at a time. That way they had to pay attention to keep up with the reading. It went pretty quickly and in the end it helped the kids with their reading, phonics, enunciation and reading comprehension.

#28 Rory_Jensen

Rory_Jensen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

Yes, the importance of reading the scriptures and praying as a family, is great. Unfortunately, my mom (she is a member) is inactive and my brother hates my religion. So I am the only one in my family who is an active member :(.

Not everyone can have family time in terms of our religion, that is my point :).

~Rory.

#29 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Marriage - P

#30 Maya

Maya

• Registered Users
  • 4105 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

My grandson comes from a family with not much religion... as my son today sat by the table in order to eat, i was int eh kitchen and other son had not come yet, my grandson came there too and my son began to eat ... my grandson said: HEY did we forget something ... and he crossed his fingers.... and my son hold the prayer...:D
It is great to see that your example really brings fruit!
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning,Satan shudders and says .... "Oh crap,.... she`s awake!!"[/url] .

#31 Seabeagle_Jr

Seabeagle_Jr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

I grew up in the Military family. We always have scriptures, even when my father is faraway on his assignments. We also had family home eveing too.
I'm so great ful for the example of my mother, and my father.
My brothers and I are active in the church.
I'm married now, and have a duaghter. She reminds my wife, and I about scripture reading.
I take my scriptures to work at nights. It keeps my company at work, especially when I'm only LDS at work.

Take Care,
Jared
Omaha

#32 amyboyack

amyboyack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

We almost always read the Book of Mormon and say prayers before we go to bed. It seems like a part of our evening routine and when we miss this vital part, we don't feel that we can go to bed. Our family has had problems, but because we all have a love of the scriptures, we have a common bond and we feel unity when we are together for scriptures and prayers.

#33 rayhale

rayhale

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

In Dyer and Kunz’s study of effective Mormon families (Effective Mormon Families), they found that only 28 percent of effective Mormon families read their scriptures regularly. Eder Gene R. Cook has estimated from traveling as a General Authority that only 10 to 15 percent of Church members read the scriptures together as families.
See Raising Up a Family to the Lord, p. 110

A recent study conducted by the Church has forcefully confirmed statistically what we have been told again and again. That is, if loving, inspired instruction and example are not provided at home, then our related efforts for success in and around Church programs are severely limited. It is increasingly clear that we must teach the gospel to our families personally, live those teachings in our homes, or run the risk of discovering too late that a Primary teacher or priesthood adviser or seminary instructor could not do for our children what we would not do for them.
Jeffrey R. Holland, “Within the Clasp of Your Arms,” Ensign, May 1983, p. 36

Presently the Book of Mormon is studied in our Sunday School and seminary classes every fourth year. This four-year pattern, however, must not be followed by Church members in their personal study of the standard works. All scripture is not of equal value.
Ezra Taft Benson, A Witness and a Warning, p. vii

True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than the study of behavior will improve behavior.
Boyd K. Packer, Conference Report, October, 1986, p. 20

I have a vision of homes alerted, of classes alive, and of pulpits aflame with the spirit of Book of Mormon messages. I have a vision of home teachers and visiting teachers, ward and branch officers, and stake and mission leaders counseling our people out of the most correct of any book on earth—the Book of Mormon. I have a vision of artists putting into film, drama, literature, music, and paintings great themes and great characters from the Book of Mormon. I have a vision of thousands of missionaries going into the mission field with hundreds of passages memorized from the Book of Mormon so that they might feed the needs of a spiritually famished world. I have a vision of the whole Church getting nearer to God by abiding by the precepts of the Book of Mormon. Indeed, I have a vision of flooding the earth with the Book of Mormon.
Ezra Taft Benson, Flooding the Earth with the Book of Mormon, 1988, 4-5

I need to say this as clearly as possible so there is no misunderstanding. The Book of Mormon is the Keystone of the LDS Church, and to the Gospel, without it, people won’t have a true understanding of the Lord, Jesus Christ. Now having said that, I feel that the Church over-states the need to read the Book of Mormon, while saying almost nothing about reading the other scriptures.

“The first five books of the Old Testament lay the foundation on which the rest of scripture stands. Its great themes, epochal events and towering figures set down vectors on which the biblical story is played out. The very shape of the rest of the Old Testament would collapse were the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Old Testament) to be removed. The structure of the New Testament thought would be barely intelligible without it.” Quoted from a review of ‘Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch'.

I would also add that the Book of Mormon would be barely intelligible without it as well. I agree with President Benson that all scripture are not of equal value, but that should mean that we should totally ignore the other scriptures ether.

I over-heard a member say that someone told him to read the Book of Mormon, so he stopped reading the Old Testament and started reading the Book of Mormon, I had to bite my tongue to not say, ’don’t do that, you can read both at the same time.’

‘An indispensable foundation’ by George A. Horton Jr. in the Ensign March 2002, is a great LDS article that shows the connections of the Old Testament to the New Testament, to the Book of Mormon, and even to the Doctrine and Covenants.

#34 gina

gina

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

Not being LDS why is the emphasis solely on the BOM and not all scripture. I read the Bible often and I have found that I have been able to draw very close to my Father in Heaven by reading the Bible. There are many things to be learned there as well.

#35 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 49953 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

Our emphasis is not strictly on the Book of Mormon. We are encouraged to read all scriptures which include the Bible.

#36 rayhale

rayhale

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

Yes, we are encouraged to read whatever scripture that is being taught in the Gospel Doctrine class, yet I have yet heard the Prophet challenge the Saints to read any other scripture than the Book of Mormon. If you know of a time, please tell me.

#37 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49953 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:17 PM

Was that to me rayhale or someone else? If to me I didn't use the word challenged. I used the word encouraged.

#38 rayhale

rayhale

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Yes it was to you Pam. My point is that, yes we are encouraged to read the scripture being taught in the Gospel Doctrine class, yet, beyond special occasions, like in 1979, when the LDS version of the Bible came out, did the Prophet, or really any of the Apostles, said to read any other scripture than the Book of Mormon.

#39 BenRaines

BenRaines

• Registered Users
  • 5505 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

I just did a little search of lds.org and found article after article that suggest that we read and study the scriptures. Most make reference to the Bible, both Old and New Testament, the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. There are many more articles that refer to Scriptures than refer to Book of Mormon. Here is one that I tracked and there are many more.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Feasting upon the Scriptures

I know many people who study not only their scriptures but other books that help them to grasp what it was like during the times they were written and to better understand what things were referenced to. An example: The call to the wedding and the wise and foolish virgins.

Study the Scriptures means all of the canonized scriptures we follow.

Ben Raines
"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties." Sir Francis Bacon

#40 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49953 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Yes it was to you Pam. My point is that, yes we are encouraged to read the scripture being taught in the Gospel Doctrine class, yet, beyond special occasions, like in 1979, when the LDS version of the Bible came out, did the Prophet, or really any of the Apostles, said to read any other scripture than the Book of Mormon.

I'm just really surprised this is being debated. Could you show me where any leader of the Church has said..other than the scriptures we are studying for the year we should only concentrate on the Book of Mormon? I think you would be hard pressed to find anything of the sort.

As Ben pointed out..we are taught to search the scriptures..to make them a part of our lives. I've never ever seen it taught or encouraged to do otherwise. When I hear our leaders say make scriptures a part of our every day lives..I never hear them say only the scriptures we are studying for the year and the Book of Mormon.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq