#41 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8390 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

ray, what's your point? Is it that since President Hinckley challenged us to read the Book of Mormon within a time period, that you think the prophets should do the same with the Bible, D&C, and POGP? I think that President Hinckley made the challenge to us to read the BoM because that book was written distinctly for us in our day. We know that we can draw nearer to God by studying the BoM. That does not mean that the prophets ignore the other scriptures. It doesn't mean that they are inferior to the BoM. It doesn't mean we should only study the BoM and not study the other scriptures. God will not command us in all things--but He has been very clear on this--study the scriptures, ALL of them.
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#42 cassiebea

cassiebea

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

I want to chime in on this conversation because this message board sort of hits home for me. I am so passionate about Family scripture study. I also am passionate about teaching our children when they are young to value the scriptures and to understand them.

I was struggling with this exact issue about 5 years ago. As a mom of 4 (now 6) I was trying to figure out how to help my kids could learn to love the scriptures and have daily study at a young age. My problem was that with 4 kids I didn't know how to help them to do their personal study. We were doing it as a family but then to try to fit in 4 different scripture study sessions to help each one read became a nightmare. I finally came up with a solution and went to work. I felt like the Lord was guiding me so that "my solution" could also be a solution to millions of families around the world.

Now my children read their scriptures every day as a family and on their own. I regularly discuss with them what they learned from their daily study. Including my 3 year old.

My solution is here at Scriptures 4 Kids . I originally started putting it together for my children but now it is available to all kids. My favorite part of the site is the "question to ponder". Each day after my kids read they will come and discuss the story question with me. It really has done a ton to start thoughtful questions between me and my children.

I hope that there are others out there that will benefit and be blessed by all the work that our family went through to put this site together. My family has collectively made a goal to make daily scripture study a priority. I am sad to see that only 28% of families read daily. I only hope that our site Scriptures 4 Kids will allow children to learn to love the Book of Mormon at a very young age and that by doing so that % might go up someday. I really think that it needs to go up if we are going to be able to successfully fight the battles that are ahead of us in the world that we live in.

I think that daily Scripture Study of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and the Bible will make all the difference in our children's lives. I hope that Scriptures 4 Kids will in some way help children learn the principle of daily scripture study and that the questions to ponder will teach children how to apply the scriptures to their lives.

Angela
Scriptures 4 Kids

#43 tholyoak

tholyoak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

I have a hard time reading the same books over and over again, including the scriptures. So I've found different ways of reading the Book of Mormon. I'm currently reading the "Reader's Edition," edited by Grant Hardy. It is exactly the same text, but reads like a contemporary novel. Somehow it is much easier on the brain to read and enjoy when it's reformatted that way. And by the way, just the introduction is worth the price of the book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq