• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CliffieDuckie

CliffieDuckie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

Ok, well I've heard that if you don't tithe, you can't get married in the temple or be endowed. Now, I'm not a member yet, but I do plan on becoming one and I do want to get married in the temple, but I have almost no money because I'm in school (and will be for quite a few more years). How does that factor into it? I mean, I probably have $100 spare each month... Is tithing the 10% really worth it at that point?

#2 WillowTheWhisp

WillowTheWhisp

• Registered Users
  • 2160 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

If your annual increase is only £1.00 your annual tithing is still 10p. Is it 'worth it'? By that do you mean does Heavenly Father need the 10p? Consider the scriptural story of the widow's mite. Heavenly Father needs your tithing in order to be able to bless you for paying it.

What you think you heard me say may not necessarily be what I thought I meant.

;)

#3 CliffieDuckie

CliffieDuckie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

Ok. The person I heard this from mentioned that there was like a minimum dollar amount or something which I knew I couldn't pay... then they mentioned the 10% part. I'm HAPPY to tithe as much as I can, I just was unsure if it was considered adequate.

#4 skalenfehl

skalenfehl

• Members
  • 3865 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

If you have no income/no increase, then there is nothing to tithe.

#5 Stone_of_Truth

Stone_of_Truth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

tithing is paid on your increase, so if you have zero increase you pay zero tithing. if you have a little increase you pay a little tithing. if you have a lot of increase....well you get the idea. It is between you and the Lord to determine what your "increase" is. the Bishop will never audit your finanicals to see if you are really paying 10% of your cash and asset increase. the Lord doesn't need out money for anything, he just wants to see if we will sacrifice for him.

#6 skalenfehl

skalenfehl

• Members
  • 3865 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

By the way, welcome to our forums!

Best wishes. ^_^

#7 ampat777

ampat777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:54 PM

Tithing scares away lots of people who are interested in church so I would no be that strict. I heard about members who are scared to admit they don´t have enough money so they will do everything to pay. That´s not good because heavently father surely knows who is a liar and who really is in trouble to pay tithing.

Now I guess it´s always a bit different and depends on the people involved.
"Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done."
President George W. Bush

http://www.usa-board.com

#8 KeithLBrown

KeithLBrown

• Registered Users
  • 426 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

I probably have $100 spare each month... Is tithing the 10% really worth it at that point?
The short answer to that question is YES. I believe that first of all we must understand that our Heavenly Father knows each and everyone of us. He knows our needs and our struggles. Paying tithing is a way of thanking Him for the increases that we receive in life. The greater the increase, the greater the amount of tithing should be. It is all really a matter of the heart. The Lord judges our hearts. There are people who can pay large amounts of tithing and don't, and then there are people who have very little and are willing to sacrifice whatever it takes to pay their tithing. Who receives the greater blessing? In that case I also refer to the story in Scriptures about the Widow's Mite. Why did that poor widow go home more blessed than all the others that gave of their substance? Some would say it was because she gave all she had. I say that is only part of it. Again the Lord judges the heart. That poor widow gave all that she had and she gave it from the heart, not for the recognition of the others that were there. But, she gave out of her love for the Lord. How much you give in tithing is a matter between you and the Lord. He knows who pays an honest tithe and who doesn't. He is the ultimate "accountant" as it were. In my own personal life I have found that I have received some of the greatest blessings in my life when I have paid my tithing even when looking at my circumstances at the time, I did not think that I could afford to do so. But, then on the other hand, how could I afford not to?
"I Stand All Amazed" has always been and will always be my favorite hymn. For truly I do stand amazed when I think about where I came from and how far the Lord has brought me through the years. I need Him every hour of my life. It is He who leads, guides, and sustains me. Apart from Him, I can do absolutely nothing. He is my Rock, my Lord, my Savior, the Pilot of my ship and the Captain of my soul. If He were to ask me, "Whom say ye that I am?" I would humbly reply, THOU ART THE CHRIST!

#9 RachelleDrew

RachelleDrew

• Registered Users
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

Honey, ANY money you give to god is acceptable. Don't be embarrassed to give smaller amounts than other members.

Think about it, if you've got 100 a month in income, your tithe would be ten dollars. It may not seem like much, but that's ten dollars that the church could use to feed someone who is starving, or pay for a missionary's car gas, or pay for the paper to make our weekly bulletins.

You wouldn't be the first poor college student to be a member of the Chuch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. ^_^ That ten percent is important to heavenly father otherwise he wouldn't command us to give it!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there...

#10 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9648 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

It is not the amount that matters, it is the spirit in which it is given that the Lord cares about.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#11 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 8633 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

Honey, ANY money you give to god is acceptable. Don't be embarrassed to give smaller amounts than other members.

Think about it, if you've got 100 a month in income, your tithe would be ten dollars. It may not seem like much, but that's ten dollars that the church could use to feed someone who is starving, or pay for a missionary's car gas, or pay for the paper to make our weekly bulletins.

You wouldn't be the first poor college student to be a member of the Chuch of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. ^_^ That ten percent is important to heavenly father otherwise he wouldn't command us to give it!

Paying a small amount for the poor is a great amount and should be considered greater than that which is paid by the rich.

I would also add that it is my belief that G-d ask us to tithe because of the great benefit it is to us - not him.

Thank you Sister Drew - it was a joy reading your post.

The Traveler

#12 WillowTheWhisp

WillowTheWhisp

• Registered Users
  • 2160 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Ok. The person I heard this from mentioned that there was like a minimum dollar amount or something which I knew I couldn't pay... then they mentioned the 10% part. I'm HAPPY to tithe as much as I can, I just was unsure if it was considered adequate.

I've never heard any mention of a minimum amount. In our Ward children pay tithing on their pocket money and that is often a matter of mere pence but at 12 years of age when they come to be interviewed for a temple recommend to do baptisms for the dead they can say that they are full tithe payers.

What you think you heard me say may not necessarily be what I thought I meant.

;)

#13 NeuroTypical

NeuroTypical

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 7362 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Ok. The person I heard this from mentioned that there was like a minimum dollar amount or something which I knew I couldn't pay

The notion that there's some sort of minimum dollar amount is completely false. The scriptures say 10% of your increase, and the only thing a bishop will ask you is "are you a full tithe payer". You answer yes or no. He doesn't check your financial records.

LM
If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack, to sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

Ohhh....
If I were a rich man...

#14 lilered

lilered

• Members
  • 1726 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

There is no set amount. The Law of Tithing indicates 10% on your annual increase. The short answer is yes, you should pay tithing using that guideline. Two benefits related to obeying the Law of Tithing:
Demonstration of Faith by paying Tiithing to God
Demonstration of Obediance to Gods commandment to pay 10% on ones annual increase.

God promises to bless you for paying it. Put him to the test.

#15 ruthiechan

ruthiechan

• Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

I have never paid tithing on my college financial aid checks. I did not earn it, the government is *giving* it to me as a gift. If your Mom gives you $20 for your birthday you are not expected to pay tithing on that. If you are on welfare you are not expected to pay tithing on that. If you EARN it, such as in a work study program at school, or if someone paid you to clean their house, or if you sold something on ebay, THEN you pay tithing. And that is only 10%. So if you make $10 you only pay $1. If only taxes worked the same way. . .

The benefits of tithing are, to name a few, being able to say Yes, I am a full tithe payer and then reap the blessings of going to the Temple. All of the supplies, the free Book of Mormons, the free lesson manuals in Relief Society and the study guides for Sunday School, the Bishop's Storehouse (the food program), the church welfare program, the library at church, etc are all available to us because of tithing. We would not have such a wonderful support network during times of need if it were not for tithing.
"We must be the change we wish to see." -See Who I Am, Within Temptation

www.ruthiechan.net

#16 jadams_4040

jadams_4040

• Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

Ok, well I've heard that if you don't tithe, you can't get married in the temple or be endowed. Now, I'm not a member yet, but I do plan on becoming one and I do want to get married in the temple, but I have almost no money because I'm in school (and will be for quite a few more years). How does that factor into it? I mean, I probably have $100 spare each month... Is tithing the 10% really worth it at that point?

Very much so!!!!! go ahead and get started, you will be very,very,very,very, glad you did.:)

#17 MichaelPAGuy

MichaelPAGuy

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

In all my years of paying tithing the only thing I experienced was less income.

#18 Moksha

Moksha

Banned

• Banned
  • 9321 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

In all my years of paying tithing the only thing I experienced was less income.

Perhaps the money was put to good use. We cannot always see the outcome of our good deeds, but we can take comfort in realizing they were appreciated somewhere.
Jesus said, "The first in importance is, love the Lord God.'
And here is the second: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'
There is no other commandment that ranks with these."

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

#19 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Registered Users
  • 2292 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

I have never paid tithing on my college financial aid checks. I did not earn it, the government is *giving* it to me as a gift. If your Mom gives you $20 for your birthday you are not expected to pay tithing on that. If you are on welfare you are not expected to pay tithing on that. If you EARN it, such as in a work study program at school, or if someone paid you to clean their house, or if you sold something on ebay, THEN you pay tithing. And that is only 10%. So if you make $10 you only pay $1. If only taxes worked the same way.

i disagree....a gift is still an increase, as is welfare, unemployment checks etc..

#20 Truegrits

Truegrits

• Members
  • 4162 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

I can see the 'conflict' in whether a "gift" is an increase. You do not tithe on the book you receive for your b'day, nor the new computer, nor the new clothes. So why is the 20.00 in cash considered an increase, instead of a gift? Maybe this should be an individual choice?

True Grits

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters.

If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters."

(~Alan Simpson~)

"If you have men who will exclude any of

God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity,

you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."

(~St. Francis of Assisi~)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq