Most recent revelation

Guest TheLutheran

No... You didn't just say that "general" predictions of future events show that in hindsight what a prophet said is proof?

I'll go on record in saying the following things:

1. There will be a epedemic in Africa in the next 50 years

2. There will be widespread civic unrest in the middle east.

3. The world will undergo major climate changes within 100 years.

4. The church growth rate will diminish to <1% year on year.

So... 10 years from now when these predictions come 50% true, will you talk about me in a post?

Can you attempt to be a little more rude in your next post? You asked a question about revelation in the last days. I attempted to give my opinion on it. Disagree if you will. But there's no reason to be a jerk about it.

You ignored my portion of the post that DID answer your question about the world wars in D&C 87, then jumped on a point you wished to verbally attack. Are you authentically interested in a discussion? I don't think so.

I'm personally done with this thread.

Sorry, Didn't mean to offend. I was actually a bit offended at your post to me, and I overreacted. I was just meaning to prove a point with an off-the-wall example. I get a bit miffed when we try to attibute revelation when none exsists. I'm a bit preplexed why you bail on a conversation when I bring up a point.

I'm frustrated in F&TM when someone will get up and say they were almost in an auto accident but was protected at the last minute by making it through the intersection just prior to a major accident. They "know" they were being watched over. This has always bothered me as what does it tell the next person into the intersection that got nailed. "Sorry, you wern't being watched over"??? No, that is the wrong message.

I was simply giving a "over the top" example of the logic that says that since Pres Hinckly gave a general conversation in GC, that a few years later we start saying "See.. He warned us". It just doesn't follow.

Sorry to offend, but it probably won't be the last time I do it.

One of the proof points we often use in the church is that prophets are able to prophecy of future events. ".

I've been in the Church 15 years and have never heard anyone say anything near to that. I been in 5 wards in 3 states during that time.

I'm frustrated in F&TM when someone will get up and say they were almost in an auto accident but was protected at the last minute by making it through the intersection just prior to a major accident. They "know" they were being watched over. .

I can understand that, I'm ready to start throwing things when someone tells how God helped them find their car keys or their lost cat. I just consider the source and move on.

I'm kinda agreeing with rameumptom, some pretty good answers have been given and there's not much else to say, you either accept them or not.

Edited by mnn727

It starts with faith, knowing you will receive an answer. Now, please, throw something over here if you like. [LOL]

A good example here, after exhausting search for my wife's cell phone, it came down to prayer in aiding us to find her phone; after using a GPS search, we found the phone was turned off. No more than a few minutes later, my son for unknown reason decided to look into the newspaper stack and with hand into the box, found the phone.

Was this a by chance? Not likely...again, we apply first then ask. It works.

• 3 years later...

First off, I appreciate your openness to listen and learn. Also your wisdom to seek information from LDS people instead of others. Many people look for answers in the wrong places, if one wants to know about something, ask someone who is part of it (IE if I want to learn more about Islam, I'll ask a practicing Muslim, not an Evangelical or practicing Jew).

In answer to your question, much of it has been addressed. The latest "scriptural canon" could be "Official Declaration 2." I would say that the latest canon that we've received is any direct revelatory teaching given from an inspired person.

One thing that many non-LDS people do not understand about us is how we see revelation. LDS believe that any time some speaks by the power of the Holy Ghost (a member of Deity) than that person is speaking revelation.

If a church leader extends a calling to someone in the church and it is by the power of the Holy Ghost, then it is revelation. In fact, if a person receives any kind of guidance from the Holy Ghost, it is considered revelation. This is generally referred to as "personal revelation" because it only involves the person receiving it, not the church or the world.

LDs people view revelation as an ongoing, dynamic force that not only applies to the church as a whole, but to each person individually. We believe that God speaks to everyone because He loves us all.

Hopefully that makes sense to you.

I can understand that, I'm ready to start throwing things when someone tells how God helped them find their car keys or their lost cat. I just consider the source and move on.

You must have really hated President Monson when he made the claim in General Conference that God helped him to find his 5 dollars then.

What an ignorant guy