wheat grinder question

christmasvalleyfarms

After 20 years my stone grinder finally bit the bullet. I think my main reason for getting the stone one at the time was it enabled me to select the degree of fineness; could also do cracked wheat. So now I"m back on the market but wonder if anyone who's had experience with different kinds of wheat grinders could offer their advice as to what type they prefer and why? Thanks!:)

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of it depends on your use model. If you plan to do small amounts, perhaps for a loaf or two of bread per week and a bit of cracked wheat cereal, then a hand-cranked grinder might be your most economical option. But if you are doing much more than that, an electric one is probably more practical. If you hesitate to get another electric grinder because of possible power outages, you might consider that you will not likely be baking bread with the power out, anyway. It's pretty hard to bake when utilities are out. There are other things to do with the wheat besides making bread in an emergency situation.

A lot of it depends on your use model. If you plan to do small amounts, perhaps for a loaf or two of bread per week and a bit of cracked wheat cereal, then a hand-cranked grinder might be your most economical option. But if you are doing much more than that, an electric one is probably more practical. If you hesitate to get another electric grinder because of possible power outages, you might consider that you will not likely be baking bread with the power out, anyway. It's pretty hard to bake when utilities are out. There are other things to do with the wheat besides making bread in an emergency situation.

But there are also other things to do with wheat flour when the power is out, too -- you can make flatbreads on any cooking surface.

My husband is giving me a grinder for my birthday, and I'm trying to decide what I want. I want to be able to use it without power, and I'd like it to be versatile enough to do various grinds. I also want it to be fixable, so the fewer parts the better. I'd love any suggestions!

Val

in an emergency situation 2 rocks will grind wheat and its possible to bake bread

-Charley

When I was a kid, my dad bought two hand cranking grinders. One for coarser cracked wheat for cereal and one for finer ground flour for baking bread. I decided to check ebay and finally bought one for myself just now.

NEW BIG HOPPER CAST IRON CORN GRINDER WHEAT GRAIN NUT - eBay (item 160292043379 end time Oct-18-08 09:39:51 PDT)

Would you mind posting your thoughts on that when you get it?

Would you mind posting your thoughts on that when you get it?

Sure thing. I'll post pictures and give a review when I've ground up some wheat. I'm already familiar with this old style grinder as this is what I grew up with. I remember well the countless revolutions on the crank as my dad cheered me on to see how fast I could empty the hopper, lol. The grinders that my father had were bought second hand at a garage/yard sale/flea market and I remember well eating tons of cracked wheat cereal growing up and lots of delicious fresh baked bread compliments of my mother. Oh man, I'm drooling now. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy my Country Living Grain Mill. I don't see much use in having an electric mill unless I was using it daily for baking. My guess is most people are going to use one off and on and that it is going to see a lot of time on the shelf waiting for harder times. When those harder time come they will be glad they got a good one they could depend on.

Just my $.02.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Family Grain Mill with the Hand Base and with the optional adapter for use on my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for motorized operation. This combination allows milling with or without electricity. This mill mills coffee, wheat, rice, corn (not popcorn), oats, rye, barley, spelt, flax, buckwheat, millet, sesame and more it also cracks grain like Barley if you want to home brew beer. There are just six parts to this grinder, very easy to disassemble for cleaning and built for durability with very high quality. This is a burr grinder, the burrs are made of hardened stainless steel and fully adjustable including index markings for repeatable settings reference from coarse to fine grinding. Yes, it is mainly plastic but the plastic is Lexan (polycarbonate) the same plastic used in bullet-proof windows. The mill is versatile because of its modular design that lets you add a Vegetable Processor that slices and shreds vegetables, fruits, cheeses etc., a Flaker Mill for making oat meal, a Meat Grinder and Sausage Stuffer.

This is a very efficient machine, my milling produces three (3) cups of flour in four minutes of hand cranking at two (2) Revolutions Per Second cranking speed (single milling) with almost no effort to turn the crank. I use the Kitchen Aid mixer adapter when I mill and maintain the 2 RPS speed. At this cranking speed the milled flour only reaches 93 degrees from kernels that are 76 degrees to start with so there is no heat degradation to the flour milled. The hopper is large and it can hold up to five cups of whole wheat kernels. The laminated wood hand crank base clamps to a table top very securely without marring the table. The hand crank is very easy to turn and is easy to continuously crank at about two revolutions per second.

For those who want to get into grain milling with a lower cost but good quality, fast and versatile machine this is it. The mill comes with a life time warranty, what more could you want? My Family Grain Mill was $130.00 including the Kitchen Aid mixer adapter for motorized operation. Not a bad price when you consider it is two machines in one; I have a hand crank miller or a powered miller when there’s electricity. In just 8 minutes you can mill enough flour (6 cups) for two loaves of bread.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard very good things about the Country Living grinder. Those photos of the Kitchenaid Mixer attachment are interesting. I didn't know I could get one with that. That's really kewl.

I got a grinder to attach to my Champion juicer, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll try to let you know if it works well.

• 1 year later...