Boyd K. Packer Talk

rockwoodchev

Subject: Talk given by President Boyd K. Packer on Sunday, October 12, 2008

Please send the following information to all personnel in your area!

The Church Correlation Department has indicated that the report of President Boyd K. Packers talk of Sunday, October 12, 2008, that is being distributed is not accurate. President Packer has not approved the report of his talk or authorized it’s distribution.

It is recommended that individuals follow the instruction, counsel, and spirit of his recent October 2008 General Conference talk.

As a reminder please review the following:

A First Presidency letter of May 13, 2004 provides this counsel and official instruction: “…members of the Church [are] to never teach or pass on… statements without verifying that they are from approved official sources… Any notes made when General Authorities, Area Seventies, or other general Church officers speak at regional and stake conferences or other meetings should not be distributed without the consent of the speaker. Personal notes are for individual use only.” (See also: Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1 (2006), pg. 173.)

Can you please send the report to me

thanks

Subject: Talk given by President Boyd K. Packer on Sunday, October 12, 2008

Please send the following information to all personnel in your area!

The Church Correlation Department has indicated that the report of President Boyd K. Packers talk of Sunday, October 12, 2008, that is being distributed is not accurate. President Packer has not approved the report of his talk or authorized it’s distribution.

It is recommended that individuals follow the instruction, counsel, and spirit of his recent October 2008 General Conference talk.

As a reminder please review the following:

A First Presidency letter of May 13, 2004 provides this counsel and official instruction: “…members of the Church [are] to never teach or pass on… statements without verifying that they are from approved official sources… Any notes made when General Authorities, Area Seventies, or other general Church officers speak at regional and stake conferences or other meetings should not be distributed without the consent of the speaker. Personal notes are for individual use only.” (See also: Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1 (2006), pg. 173.)

It was an email being circulated that was supposed to have been a talk given in a Fast & Testimony meeting at his home ward. I doubt an Apostle would get up and give a talk at a Fast & Testimony meeting. They leave that to the rest of the members. :)

Ben Raines

and it is interesting that he never stated that this was his opinion....I personally think that goes a long way if in fact it really did happen as the original poster said.

Guest SisterofJared

Actually a friend of mine called and verified that Packer did get up and bear testimony on the 14th in his home ward... my friend talked to the CoB who told him that yes, Elder Packer had indeed borne his testimony, and that the church was aware of the email going around, and that Elder Packer had not officially released his talk for circulation.

At this time, I totally don't know if the whole talk was correct as sent to me.... after all, some of those stories Elder Packer has told in other talks. Maybe some person "created" the whole thing by putting bits and pieces of other Packer talks together. But it is true that he stood and bore testimony in his ward, and the stories can be read in other talks officially released, so I think there is good to come from it. My instinct is to believe it, but that's not knowledge, just instinct.

Sister of Jared.

While I believe that President Packer would get up and give a testimony I do not believe he would get up and give a 20 minute talk. There is a testimony given in the talk circulating around but I personally do not believe those are words that were all shared on that Sunday in a Fast & Testimony meeting.

Ben Raines

I was givena copy of the purported talk this morning and read it. It contains good advice even if it may turn out not to be what actually happened during that meeting. It seems to me that it could be that this is his personal opinions, but not an official church stance. It does not contain any new ideas, everything said on the copy I saw is in line with what church leaders have been telling us for years- get your lives in order, get out of debt, be prepared to help your fellow man.

I agree John Doe. The statements are worthy of attention. Putting it out as a talk given in a Fast & Testimony meeting and the manner it is being distributed is what concerns me. As posted by someone earlier in the thread the church has issued a letter in 2004 to address these types of emails and rumors.

While the spirit can testify of the truth of the individual issues in the talk it cannot to a talk that was never given.

Ben Raines

• 1 year later...
Hidden

Boyd K. Packer said it, but I suspect he didn't think anyone would use their modern communication devices to publicize it around our world. Now he wants to disclaim it with his usual "authoritarian power" just like the Red Chinese "editing" of the Internet.