Can God help you forgive someone that has done you wrong?

Gatsby

I just wanted to add a quick note... I am not sure that anyone will agree with me, but here is my take on forgiving others... I am always uncomfortable with the old saying "Forgive and Forget"... In all cases we must learn to FORGIVE, but in some cases we do not have to FORGET... Here is what I mean...

Years ago I was sexually assaulted... It was horrible and brutal, and I do not share my story with most people... It has taken therapy and many years of hard work to forgive my assailant... And, I have forgiven him... I no longer wish him ill will... I no longer see a fatal accident on TV and wonder why it wasn't him... I no longer pray for God to strike him dead with a random bolt of lightening... I am over that...

But... I do not believe for one second God expects me to forget what he did... I know it would be unsafe and unhealthy for me, both physically and emotionally, to ever see him again... Or even hear his voice... I will never in my life time, allow myself to see him, hear from him, or be in a room with him... That is the boundary I have to set in order to live and function as a survivor...

I have had several people tell me over the years that I have not truly forgiven him, because I refuse to speak to him... They feel that I should give him a call, and talk to him... To let him know that all is forgiven... I cannot do that... But, in my heart, between me and my Father, I know what is in my heart... And I have forgiven... I am, all these years later, finally at peace....

Just my .02,

Silver Girl