• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chelsealacrosse

Chelsealacrosse

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

HELP! I am in charge of our ward's Relief Society Christmas program...and I need help! Out theme is: "O Holy Night" and they would like us to do a program with including the narrative from Luke. Any ideas or past program experience that either you did or were guests to would be welcomed and very appreciated! TIA!

#2 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

I think it would be wonderful and touching to plan a program around Josh Groban's song, "Mary, did you know?" It's such a beautiful song! I miss the old Relief Society.:(

#3 georgia2

georgia2

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

A Relief Society Christmas Program? What is that? Our RS doesn't do anything! WE don't have any of the independent meetings that were introduced several years ago. Our RS pres thinks we have to get the Bishop's permission on everything we do. They won't even let us announce anything any of us would like to have in RS. I really do want to know what is a RS Christmas Program!

#4 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

edited... because it was a double post

Edited by DeborahC, 28 October 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#5 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Yup, I was really sad and surprised to find out that the old Relief Society Homemaking days were over, when I started my journey back. Honestly, those meetings are what brought in a lot of new members, in my opinion. The fellowship with other sisters was wonderful. Today I looked at the list of "meetings" the current RS holds, and there really wasn't anything I was interested in enough to attend regularly. I don't understand whose idea it was to change things... it was always well attended in my experience. Now, nobody knows what's going on. ::sits on the stump, grumpily::: AND... since I'm complaining... what's with no Visiting Teachers anymore? I mean, I'm getting a page from the Ensign in my mailbox instead? ::crying:: I so looked forward to those visits...

Edited by DeborahC, 28 October 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#6 Starfish

Starfish

• Inactive 3+ Years
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

HELP! I am in charge of our ward's Relief Society Christmas program...and I need help! Out theme is: "O Holy Night" and they would like us to do a program with including the narrative from Luke. Any ideas or past program experience that either you did or were guests to would be welcomed and very appreciated!
TIA!

We usually have an adult Christmas dinner--men invited (you can draw from the High Priest's and Elders Quorum's budgets). Women in the ward volunteer to each decorate a table (seats 6-8). We bring our own linens, dishes, center pieces, etc. Then we take everything home to wash. Every table is different and quite lovely. (The challenge is to keep it from getting competitive--RS women tend to get a little crazed.:eek:)

Then we have some type of program. You could do a reading from Luke with some musical numbers. I remember a presentation one year from the Primary in Sac. Mtg. where the children sang Christmas songs and an adult (pick someone with a good voice) read passages from the Bible that were the words of Christ himself. (BoM, 3 Ne. could be used also.) It was very effective. Instead of the children, you could have the entire RS sing or arrange a smaller group, or whatever.

Another year we invited the local high school choral group to come and sing and we donated $ to the school in exchange.

For those of you who miss this type of thing in your ward, volunteer to organize it.

Edited by Starfish, 28 October 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#7 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 52372 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

I think it would be wonderful and touching to plan a program around Josh Groban's song, "Mary, did you know?"

It's such a beautiful song!

I miss the old Relief Society.:(

I haven't heard Josh sing it...but I think Donny Osmond's version is soooo much the better version of any I have heard.

#8 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

I haven't heard that version, but I'm sure it's great. I just love the song...

#9 zookeeper

zookeeper

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:57 PM

HELP! I am in charge of our ward's Relief Society Christmas program...and I need help! Out theme is: "O Holy Night" and they would like us to do a program with including the narrative from Luke. Any ideas or past program experience that either you did or were guests to would be welcomed and very appreciated!
TIA!

Starfish's ideas sound awesome! I would recommend delegating. Musical numbers could be arranged by your ward music coordinator. With Starfish's ideas the tables are done. And hopefully your ward has a relief society food coordinator. etc..
My last ward had a Relief Society Christmas program and it was more silly and fun than serious. We ate dinner and played "name that tune" with christmas numbers. It was a blast!

#10 Chelsealacrosse

Chelsealacrosse

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:47 AM

Thank you all for your responses! I am sorry to hear that some of your Relief Society activities are less and less each year. Our ward only does 3 a year...Christmas is the biggest one. I too agree that activities are a way of inviting those who may be intimidated by the whole Sunday church setting. I know that the First Presidency has asked for things to be a little more focus on home family prepardness and because of that I believe that they have limited the number of activities. WHich, I do agree with. I agree that activities once a month is too much...especially if you are on the events comittee like me! In response to Georgia2 I call it the "program" since it is the musical part of the evening. We have a nice dinner followed by a 30 minute program and then end with dessert!

#11 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • 6133 posts
  • LocationCity of Champions

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

I think it would be wonderful and touching to plan a program around Josh Groban's song, "Mary, did you know?"...

Mary, Did You Know? is a Christmas song with lyrics written by Mark Lowry in 1984 and music written by Buddy Greene six years later.

Mary, Did You Know? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This song has been sung by many people, I like Kathy Mattea's version the best. :)

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle

Sound, balanced teaching is a must. Our default should be to partake. Our default should be to live in joy, not condemnation. Our default should be to love, not to correct, to encourage, not to criticize. (Quote from prisonchaplain)

#12 myfamily

myfamily

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

This has all given me exciting ideas about what to do with our Relief Society. I am new on the site and already feel comfortable. A good spirit of Christmas for me. Thanks to you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq