Lakers

Dr T

Last game against OKC, in short we got stomped. They were 16 up at half. We cut the lead to 5 and then in the fourth we fell apart. Kobe injured his left elbow two times and said it was like being hit on the funny bone but it didn't go away. Westbrook was great, KD played well like he's able. The Thunder closed it out with a 12-0 run. Final was 122-105 OKC. At the half the score was 55 to 71! They came to play. We lost our .500 record. :(

DT, I watched the game on my TNT cable and though I thought we had a chance to win the game, we didn't. I felt bad as much as most Lakers fans. Despite Kobe's elbow injury and as always, he was an amazing team leader. I thought that Nash did well at times and was a spark that ignited some team enthusiasm. The announcers, though clearly biased toward the Thunder, voiced their approval of the valiant way the Lakers never gave up and played exciting ball. It was pay back time for the Thunder.

Edited by Gargantuan

I guess it was. I'd agree with you. Lakers can never give up. Last night's game vs. Hornets we were getting pulverized. We were down 25 points and then in the fourth we did what was needed to come out 108-102 winners! We had a 33-9 fourth. Howard was a star with 20 points, 15 rebounds, 4 blocked shots and 3 steals. This is what I expected from Dwight! Kobe led the way on offense with 42 points and 12 assists and 7 rebounds and Meeks had 19 points. I was following online and went to bed thinking it was over. I was very happy to see we picked it up and pulled it out!!!!

Raptors-Lakers Preview

By JEFF MEZYDLO

Posted Mar 07 2013 1:41PM

A remarkable comeback in their latest contest showed how serious the Los Angeles Lakers appear to be about making a push for the playoffs.

Trying again to move above .500 for the first time since November, the Lakers hope to continue their home success over the Toronto Raptors on Friday night while trying for a season-high fifth straight victory at Staples Center.

Trailing by as many as 25 points, Kobe Bryant scored 13 of his 42 during a 20-0 run over the final 6:22 to help Los Angeles (31-31) win 108-102 at New Orleans on Wednesday. It was the Lakers' 14th win in 20 games and a strong indication that they're poised to leave the previous turmoil of the season in the past and move back into playoff position.

Los Angeles, which was last above .500 at 6-5 on Nov. 20, is 1 1/2 games behind Utah for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

"This game brought us closer together as a team," said Dwight Howard, who had 20 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks, including a key rejection of Robin Lopez's attempted game-tying shot in the final 30 seconds.

"This is what it takes when you're playing for the playoffs and then when you're in the playoffs, fighting through games like this and it just shows our character."

Averaging 35.1 points on 56.4 percent shooting in the last seven games, Bryant again was the driving force one night after he scored 30 while playing through an elbow injury in a 122-105 loss at Oklahoma City. He scored 18 in the fourth quarter and had 12 assists Wednesday.

"It's tough games like this that really strengthen the bond between us players and that's really what the playoffs is about," Bryant said. "You have adversity. It's about who's going to stick together and who's not going to break."

Even with star Pau Gasol out with a foot injury, the Lakers are in a better place than they were while losing 10 of 12 in January. That rut included a 108-103 loss at Toronto (24-38) on Jan. 20 that snapped a four-game series winning streak. Bryant scored 26 and Steve Nash added 16 with nine assists but Howard was limited to five points with two boards before being ejected late in the first half for drawing his second technical foul.

Los Angeles has won nine straight over the Raptors at home, where it's averaged 105.4 points and shot 50.1 percent to win eight of nine overall. Toronto is 2-13 all-time at Los Angeles, but its last two defeats there came by a combined seven points.

Toronto snapped a five-game slide by shooting 48.1 percent during a 98-71 win at Phoenix on Wednesday. DeMar DeRozan scored 15 to lead six Toronto players in double figures and help the Raptors win for the second time in eight games.

"We were desperate and tired of losing, being on that five-game losing streak," DeRozan said. "We had to continue to keep stepping on their necks. We tend to give up leads, and (Wednesday) we stayed focused, especially on defense."

Toronto held the Suns to 37.8 percent from the field while allowing its fewest points of the season. The Raptors gave up 247 on 53.4 percent shooting in losing its previous two games at Milwaukee and Golden State.

DeRozan, a southern California native, averages a team-leading 17.7 points but has been held to eight in each of the last two against the Lakers - both at home.

the above from here- Raptors at Lakers - March 8, 2013 - Game Preview, Play by Play, Scores and Recap on NBA.com

Pale One and Dr T, I was hoping:fingerscrossed: that we would win this important game with the Raptors. I wasn't able to watch it on my cable as Comcast changed its service right before the game and I couldn't see it. Good old Comcast marketing manuever, I guess. I know we won, therefore way :shout: to go Lakers!!! I'm anxiously waiting for DT's followup of the game results.

We fell to 15 behind, The Raptors came out to play and had a strong first quarter. We kept playing-never give up! We tied it up with grit in the fourth to push it to OT. In Kobe hit 3 3's so we went to overtime. Kobe Kobe had 41 points, 12 assists, Howard had 24, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks and 3 steals. We tend to fall behind a lot and need to play catch up. I don't like coming from behind but it does show we are fighting to earn our spot in the play offs. We are not there yet but we are playing like we need to the last two games. WTG Boys!

I agree with that. Very interesting to me. :)

===

Just behind Utah for the eighth seed, the Lakers (32-31) look to move ahead in the standings as they host the Chicago Bulls (35-27) this Sunday afternoon. Tip-off is scheduled for 12:30pm PT from STAPLES Center. Watch it live on ABC, or listen on ESPNLA710 and 1330 KWKW.

Lets go boys!

We now hold spot 8 in the west!!!!

Kobe Bryant (19 points) and the Lakers strengthen their hold on the eighth spot after a 90-81 home win over the Bulls on Sunday. Dwight Howard had a double-double (16 points, 21 rebounds) and Steve Nash contributed 16 points.

W. Conference Player of the Week

(J Alexander Diaz/Lakers.com)

Kobe Bryant was named Western Conference Player of the Week, for games played Monday, March 4 through Sunday, March 10. Bryant led the Lakers to a 3-1 week behind an NBA-best 33.0 points, 8.8 assists (fourth in the conference), 5.8 rebounds and 1.0 steal

above from Lakers.com

In Dwight Howard's return to Orlando, he tied an NBA record with 39 free throws attempted Tuesday while scoring a season-high 39 points and grabbing 16 rebounds in a 106-97 win over the host Magic. Metta World Peace scored 14, but the night belonged to the big fella as he shot 25-for-39 from the free throw line.

His free throw shooting almost looks like Shaq's. I'll take this win though.

We fell to the Hawks tonight. :(

Lakers Edged by Hawks(Kevin C. Cox/NBAE/Getty Images)

Kobe Bryant scored 28 of his 31 points in the second half but the Lakers still fell short of their fifth straight win, losing 96-92 to the Hawks in Atlanta on Wednesday. Metta World Peace had 20 points and Steve Nash added 11.

above from lakers.com I'm glad Utah got pounded by OKC tonight.

We have been plagued by injuries this year. The latest victim is Kobe Bryant. We faces the Central Division-leading Pacers on Friday before returning home to host Sacramento on Sunday. With 17 wins in 23 games before their loss to Atlanta, the Lakers (34-32) are a half-game ahead of Utah (33-32) for the eighth playoff spot in the Western Conference, things were looking up. Now what? Pau has been out for 17 games or something like that and is tentatively thinking about returning to the floor next week. Kobe has been getting hours of treatment for the sprain, says it's still very swollen and I know Kobe plays unless he's dead in the past so we'll see what happens. Kobe needs to not make it worse so if he sits it out for now, just heal up. :) GO LAKERS!

If it weren't for your updates, Dr T, and because I have a difficult time following the Lakers, I would not be as excited about the team. But, learning about the greatness of each player and their determination to keep playing championship ball despite their hardships experienced as they keep getting back up after a loss or two and come back to be an example of how champions handle the long and winding road to the playoffs. Thank you very much for your Laker updates.

We end our road trip tonight. We are sitting at 34-32 and are playing the Pacers in Indiana and they are 40-24 Tip is at 4:00pm PT at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse. Kobe is officially on the "out indefinitely" list. Indefinate can be a "until further notice" and not "forever" so we will see what he does. We know for sure we will not see him playing tonight. Back in the 2000 finals Jalen Rose did the same thing to Kobe. Later, after the Finals Rose admitted he did it on purpose. He said, "I grew up playing street basketball and we all know, for the good player, don't let him have a firm ground to land on." I don't know about Kobe's last injury, if it was on purpose or not but Kobe said, "I got Jalen Rose'd." Unfortunate. :(

So I just looked and Kobe was playing tonight. So far he's 0-4 shooting, has 1 turn over, 1 personal foul and two assists. I don't think it's wise for him to be playing. That's how he is though. We had a poor 1st quarter with only 16 points. We are ahead right now though. :)

Tonight at Pacers. We went in there, Kobe played the whole first Though Kobe Bryant did not play after the first quarter then became the second coach for the rest of the game. Howard came out to play tonight He positioned himself in the post quickly for other players to feed and they did! Final score ended at 99-93 LAKERS! Howard put in 20 points, had 12 rebounds, 4 assists, and 4 blocks, Nash had MWP had 19 points and rebounds, Blake 18 points and 7 assists, Nash 15 and 9 assists in this win as we moved one game ahead of the Jazz for the eighth spot in the West. I'll take it. :D