What are some things that missionaries do for fun?

Guest Realtor670

The most fun I had was teaching the gospel to so many people. A bonus was being able to immerse myself in another culture and learn about the people while sharing the gospel with them. Seeing people transform themselves under the influence of the spirit and gain hope and peace was incredible.

Well, missions aren't really about fun, but missionaries do have lots of fun through the course of their activities. I suppose opportunities depend on where one might serve. I served stateside and learned a lot about my country. On P-day, we would visit historical sites and old cemetaries. Other times we would play sports or hike or explore our area. Sometimes we would get together with other missionaries and sing or just sit and talk and laugh while we washed our clothes.

The truth is though that missionaries have very little time to themselves, so it is up to the individual to find joy and even "fun" in the work. Some thought tracting was a drag. Others found fun in it. I admit to loving it AND hating it. :)

I really think that Piper is right. When you jump in and really immerse yourself in the work, it becomes fun. Fun to learn the gospel and learn from the Spirit in a variety of ways. Fun to meet and talk to new people. Fun to teach the gospel and plant a load of spiritual seeds. And nothing can compare to seeing another's life change for the better!

Going on a mission is an irreplaceable experience! There isn't anyone that can tell you what you might personally experience. No doubt you will have low times too. But if you do decide to go, I guarantee it won't all be fun. But I can promise that what you will experience will be absolutely worth it!

Good luck with your decision.

Guest Realtor670

Well after talking to former missionaries and considering my own personal issues I'm leaning towards not going. I

I just feel I have too many stress problems. I'm on antidepressants and a stress relief pill on occasion, and I don't think being away from my family and friends and familiar surroundings for a whole 2 years will help my cause.

I would like to serve the lord, but I just don't have the desire to leave my life here for 2 years.

I know this sounds kind of bigoted to most of you guys, but whether or not I actually help convert somone to the church or give good service to an LDS ward, I really don't care to be honest. My condition can cause me to go through long or short periods of being apethetic, and I can get angry and be disruptive if I get in a bad mood.

I really like the missionaries that are in our ward, and like to have them over, but as far as me being one of them, it doesn't really seem to fit.

Well after talking to former missionaries and considering my own personal issues I'm leaning towards not going. I

I just feel I have too many stress problems. I'm on antidepressants and a stress relief pill on occasion, and I don't think being away from my family and friends and familiar surroundings for a whole 2 years will help my cause.

I would like to serve the lord, but I just don't have the desire to leave my life here for 2 years.

I know this sounds kind of bigoted to most of you guys, but whether or not I actually help convert somone to the church or give good service to an LDS ward, I really don't care to be honest. My condition can cause me to go through long or short periods of being apethetic, and I can get angry and be disruptive if I get in a bad mood.

I really like the missionaries that are in our ward, and like to have them over, but as far as me being one of them, it doesn't really seem to fit.

You know, missions aren't for everyone. Being in the MTC and on the mission is a stressful experience and for someone dealing with what you are, it may be a pressure cooker rather than a refiner. I am sure as you counsel with your leaders and parents and with the Lord, you will determine the best course.

Guest Realtor670

It's hard to decide really, because I want to go on a mission partly, but mainly I don't.

I don't want to regret later in life that I didn't serve a mission that I was supposed to when it is too late, but is that alone reason enough to serve a mission?

Guest Realtor670

I would like to go to meet some new people, help some people out, and get blessings later in life for my own benefit. Lately, I've just been feeling wrong about my life like I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing, took my eye off the ball sort of thing, and I don't know if it is religion related or not.

Going away from my home for 2 years doesn't seem like a logical answer to my problem.

I've started reading the book of mormon a little more lately, planning on going back to church when my sleeping habits aren't so horrible, and praying about this issue, and I am just sensing danger involved with being out on a mission with my issues. Whether or not it is the lord saying I should be taking another route, or me just being a little nervous I don't know, but all I know is a mission is not something that I truly want to do at this point in my life, and I'm already half way to 22, and much later in my life it is just going to be too late. I know 29 is the cut off age, but going on a mission around the age of 23 or 24 will not be conceivable for me.

well if you're not going to church, that would be priority 1 to go on a mission.

so your reasons seem to be:

meet people

help people

get blessings

what do you want to help the people with?

what do you think the reasons other people choose to go on missions are?

have you talked to missionaries in your area about why they are on their missions? why they chose to serve the Lord?

Guest Realtor670

I talk to missionaries around here all the time. They all say they don't regret choosing to go on a mission, and I don't believe I would regret it, but I just don't really have a desire to that much.

Making long term plans to serve for 2 straight years and having to adjust to a completely new lifestyle from the one I know would be overly stressful and depressing to me.

I'm not making excuses not to go, these are excuses that I didn't make myself but I'm just weighing in consideration.

I didn't choose to have depression, I don't choose to be angry or anxious. I chose to be a vegetarian but that was an important choice, and if you pray about it I bet you would all get the answer that eating meat that you don't need is animal cruelty, but that is another conversation.

Anyway, they're not excuses that I'm trying to make up not to go, they are realities.

My wellbutrin has helped me relieve a lot of stress in my life, but another thing it did was not make me worry about things so much, and one of those things seems to be people. I am not saying I want anyone to die or get hurt or anything like that, but as far as their personal welfare, I honestly can care less, and I don't think I would even give anyone who didn't seem interested the time of day on my mission.

Guest Realtor670

Well by then it will be a little too late. At the age of 23 I will be too much settled into my life to go on a mission.

I will just play it by ear, but I'll most likely pass, thanks for the advice anyway guys.

Guest Realtor670

Ya that's pretty cool thanks. I am definately planning on getting back into the church and getting better with religion. This mission things is awhile away from decision, but I am 21 now and I think I kind of waited too long.