• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 speedomansam

speedomansam

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 06:17 PM

Hey there, I need some ideas for mutual activities. What has anyone else been doing lately? What's been fun? What have you wanted to do?
http://www.cleanlycopacetic.com

Clean. Music. Sweet.

#2 deepthinker

deepthinker

• Inactive with Posts
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 05:40 PM

we did this for joint, so that we would have lots of people. but we played broom hockey in the cultural hall. it was way fun. we had a sock, stuffed with a dish rag, and everyone had a broom and was in their socks. and we played hockey, it was SOO much fun. p.s. it sounds way lamer then it is.

#3 Guest_&lusername&gt_*

Guest_&lusername&gt_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2004 - 09:18 PM

paintball wars are the best. a little painfull but nothing beats the adrinaline rush.

#4 DisRuptive1

DisRuptive1

• Inactive with Posts
  • 786 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

Ice-skating. Vegas night. You can actually use this to fund any future activities; it's a pretty good fundraiser. Dodgeball. You're all male right? And every church has a hoop in it, so why not some basketball. I remember going down to a shooting range to drive golf balls. On the way there and back we were taught about the history of Golf (Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden)

#5 Franken

Franken

• Inactive with Posts
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 09:34 PM

Three step dodgeball!!! Challenge another ward to a game.
Take the so-called standard of living. What do most people mean by "living"? They don't mean living. They mean the latest and closest plural approximation to singular prenatal passivity which science, in its finite but unbounded wisdom, has succeeded in selling their wives. ~e.e. cummings, Introduction, Poems, 1954

It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, but that not every one is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so if every planet in the Universe has a population of zero then the entire population of the Universe must also be zero, and any people you may actually meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination. ~Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Script

#6 DisRuptive1

DisRuptive1

• Inactive with Posts
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:56 AM

I remember we had a course on manners and then the next Tuesday we had a combined activity with the Laurels and sat down with them and had a fancy dinner.

#7 the_kid_in_the_korner

the_kid_in_the_korner

• Inactive with Posts
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:26 PM

i did that but im a teacher
x_Mick_x

#8 Guest_&lusername&gt_*

Guest_&lusername&gt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

warball. dodge ball cept no teams. once you get the ball, you can only move 2 steps but every on els can move freely. you can throw it agaisnt a wall an dpic it back up and move 2 more steps. if the person who gets you out gets outm you are back in, so the only way you can win is get EVERYONE out yourself. it is a bit confusing but really fun

#9 speedomansam

speedomansam

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

what's vegas night? once we went to weinersnitchel on hot dogs for a quarter night and just ate and planned. i had 8... mmm.

Clean. Music. Sweet.

#10 the_kid_in_the_korner

the_kid_in_the_korner

• Inactive with Posts
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:48 PM

Originally posted by speedomansam@Nov 2 2004, 01:40 PM
what's vegas night?

once we went to weinersnitchel on hot dogs for a quarter night and just ate and planned. i had 8... mmm.

like play blackjack and poker and stuff
x_Mick_x

#11 speedomansam

speedomansam

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:20 PM

well if that's vegas night, and since i was asking disruptive and not anyone else it may not be, that's definitely a no go. you can't gamble at church activities, even if it is fake money. which makes me wonder--how is it a good fundraiser?

Clean. Music. Sweet.

#12 Guest_&lusername&gt_*

Guest_&lusername&gt_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:59 PM

dont use money. use cheerios or cookies. that is what we did at youth comferance all the leaderds were fine with it

#13 Franken

Franken

• Inactive with Posts
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:47 PM

Originally posted by <username>@Nov 3 2004, 06:59 PM
dont use money. use cheerios or cookies. that is what we did at youth comferance all the leaderds were fine with it

You know, that's still... TECHNICALLY... against the law...
Take the so-called standard of living. What do most people mean by "living"? They don't mean living. They mean the latest and closest plural approximation to singular prenatal passivity which science, in its finite but unbounded wisdom, has succeeded in selling their wives. ~e.e. cummings, Introduction, Poems, 1954

It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, but that not every one is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so if every planet in the Universe has a population of zero then the entire population of the Universe must also be zero, and any people you may actually meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination. ~Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Script

#14 gimpandproudofit

gimpandproudofit

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

um last night we played fear factor with us and the priests and it was actually pretty fun.... what i had to do was drink straight soy sauce, vegetable oil, and cider vinegar (all seperately) and then eat two huge squirts of mayonaise- and if you did that all without throwing up you won.... (ps, I didn't throw up!.... haha) some of the other things that people had to do were hold your arm in a bucket full of ice (for the girls) or hold your head up to your nose in the bucket (for the guys) and the one to stay in the longest got a point for their team (the two guys competed against each other and then the two girls went seperately). another one was that two people from a team had to toss a dirty diaper (urine only) back and forth without dropping it. the team that did it the most won (ps, we found out after that the diaper was only full of warm water and yellow food coloring). another one was that there was a jar full of dirt and worms (all live) and 8 little balls and they had to pull out as many as they could in a minute...... it was real fun so you could do something like that.....oh ya, and in the end we had to give suggestions on how this could relate to life and stuff like that, ya know- to tie the spiritual side in haha
<span style='color:red'>"life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful"</span>

#15 DisRuptive1

DisRuptive1

• Inactive with Posts
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:40 AM

Vegas night is a popular church activity (not just our church) to help raise money since it's difficult to find a good place to gamble where I live. You have to drive 6 hours to get to Vegas. You basically use play money. Say, you buy $500 in chips for only $5 real dollars. Then you play with it. You play poker, roulette, blackjack, baccarat, etc. All the things can be found at hard core game stores (the one where they have 50 different types of chess sets and every dungeons and dragons manual ever made). At the end of the night, you can buy a raffle ticket for $100 (fake). So it's possible to turn your $5 into $10 worth of raffle tickets. No money is ever given back to anybody who bought chips. They have to use their chips to buy raffle tickets. So it's possible that each item you have (especially the good ones) could end up having over $200 in raffle tickets in them. In order to get money, all you have to do is give away items which are cheaper than the expected amount of money that people are going to use the raffle tickets to buy. And the cool thing is, that even if people go home broke, all the money they used goes straight to whatever charity (young men's camping trip, maybe?) that the fund raiser was for. All you need is the proper materials, dealers and floormen to run the games and some paper work from your city hall. It's quite simple. You just have to go to the city hall and tell them your intentions (they don't care what you're raising money for), and they'll help you through any papers that you have to fill out (you need a permit). They do this all the time since it happens so much at high schools and churches and all kinds of places. Expect them to raise their eyes at you in a "Not another one" type of look. They'll need to know the date(s), and address too. On that day a police officer might show up (if nothing else is going on) just to make sure everything is cool and that no "real" gambling is happening. Most home games that get raided have to pay the ticket for failing to have a permit. It's possible for most home games (like 5 buddies that meet up at someone's house) to actually gamble all friendly-like together if they go to their local city hall and get a permit. I think it's even possible to get a permit to get a year long type permit (as opposed to a one day permit) even though you only play poker/blackjack with your buddies.

#16 deepthinker

deepthinker

• Inactive with Posts
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:13 PM

i'm sorry, i don't mean to judge but a) weren't we counciled, by a prophet, i don't remmebre which, not even to have cards in our home becuase they are used for gambling. and, maybe i made this one up, but, haven't we been told that dungeons and dragons is bad. i know in my family that my uncles and father were sucked into it for a long time, and later that it really is a tool of the devil, i don't remember if that was just their personal revelation or a prophet counciled thing.

#17 DisRuptive1

DisRuptive1

• Inactive with Posts
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

You think too deeply. Anything, done in excess, even required activities such as eating can cause you harm. Everything done in moderation (even marijuana) really can't hurt you. Which would the prophet choose though? People gambling for fun and making money for a fund raiser (battered women perhaps?), or would he rather have all the battered women go raise their own money? What comes first: charity, or keeping a high standard for yourself? (P.S. Notice my sig? I got that thinking about Dungeons and Dragons. Someone threw a fireball at Hey-suess (spelled Jesus) and he saved against it but the rest of the party took a little damage from it. Therefore, Jesus saves, everyone else takes damage)

#18 the_kid_in_the_korner

the_kid_in_the_korner

• Inactive with Posts
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:42 AM

i play blackjack with my little bro all the time 4 fun and i play rummy as long as we arent betting i see no problem
x_Mick_x

#19 gimpandproudofit

gimpandproudofit

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:21 PM

Originally posted by DisRuptive1@Nov 5 2004, 04:58 PM
You think too deeply. Anything, done in excess, even required activities such as eating can cause you harm. Everything done in moderation (even marijuana) really can't hurt you. Which would the prophet choose though? People gambling for fun and making money for a fund raiser (battered women perhaps?), or would he rather have all the battered women go raise their own money? What comes first: charity, or keeping a high standard for yourself?

look i'm pretty sure everyone understands the church's stance on gambling..... you're just saying stuff on here to try to rile everyone up and get them to argue with you...... its really not worth it.
<span style='color:red'>"life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful"</span>

#20 deepthinker

deepthinker

• Inactive with Posts
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

"You think too deeply. Anything, done in excess, even required activities such as eating can cause you harm. Everything done in moderation (even marijuana) really can't hurt you. Which would the prophet choose though? People gambling for fun and making money for a fund raiser (battered women perhaps?), or would he rather have all the battered women go raise their own money? What comes first: charity, or keeping a high standard for yourself?" there is no thinking required, however you or your ward/branch choose to interpret the council from the prophet is your business. but we are not supposed to gamle, it is that simple. p.s. i'm not saying that i'm perfect or anything. i play rummy and 21 and go fish (never for money) and all that in my house and with my friends, but the council is still what it is, and i would think that it would at least be followed in the meeting house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq