Is it OK to chew gum during fasting?

Superbaldguy

when i was a teenager i used to get physically ill when fasting (or any time i had to be without food) chewing gum helped prevent that for me. i also find that chewing gum would help remind me i'm fasting, i'd remove it to eat something and would remind me i was fasting. i found gum chewing to be very helpful in my learning to fast.

i don't chew gum now, well.. except when i'm pregnant, then i live off of if. i find gum chewing helps stay off the morning sickness (which for me was all day), indigestion, motion sickness when traveling, etc.

A lot of fasting is a personal choice. You do what you can. I have a friend who is diabetic and can't fast. She fasts only one meal, or from certain foods instead. Me, I get really bad headaches if I fast and don't drink water. If I go without food and water for that long...you do NOT want to be around me. So I drink water when I fast. I have a hard time keeping the true Spirit of the fast if I don't, because all I can focus on is me and my problems, instead of whatever or whomever I am fasting for.

If you want to chew gum, chew gum. I'm with Rachelle on not chomping away in the chapel during Sacrament meeting, though.

Well, this is not what you call deep doctrine, but I am wondering if gum chewing is considered to be part of fasting. One of my angelic 9-year-old friends says I wasn't fasting yesterday, she was trying to get candy from me and was using this as an excuse, since she stops fasting after lunch. Rascal.

Thoughts?

I do chew gum on fast Sunday and sometimes on other Sundays....:D

It is not what is in the mouth that counts but what is in the heart that matters.

I think that if you are worried about whether or not to chew gum, you are missing the point. Fasting is a spiritual experience. What practices help you to have a better spiritual experience? What behaviors help you to feel closer to the Lord and feel that your sacrifice is the kind you wanted to offer? I think if you answer those questions the issue over gum chewing or water sipping just takes care of itself. I think if you have a question of whether or not you can "get away" with chewing it, then perhaps that is showing you that you need to give it up. Try it and then see if your fast doesn't become more powerful as you discipline your physical appetites.

One other note..... I think as we progress and "practice" the law of the fast, our worship and our righteous desires become more refined. We move to a place where our behaviors are no longer a question and where our desires and appetites are for the eternal and not the temporal. And that is where we start to notice how Father in Heaven has changed us and refined us and is now showing us and blessing us with greater portions of light and learnings.

I'm rather surprised by all of these answers. In the Old Testament fasts were total..."dry"--no water, even. In the New Testament Jesus appears to have had water during his 40 day fast. So, throughout most of Christian history, fasts have been "water only." Of course there are exceptions for health concerns, but other than that, since chewing gum involves enjoyable flavor, it would seem to violate the idea of fasting.

I'm rather surprised by all of these answers. In the Old Testament fasts were total..."dry"--no water, even. In the New Testament Jesus appears to have had water during his 40 day fast. So, throughout most of Christian history, fasts have been "water only." Of course there are exceptions for health concerns, but other than that, since chewing gum involves enjoyable flavor, it would seem to violate the idea of fasting.

Prison Chap....I agree with you.....thats how I have always felt about fasting....

I agree too. I don't chew gum. I do brush my teeth, however, to freshen the ole breath. But I don't drink water or eat anything. Even breath mints seem to take something away from it for me.

Because we are only asked to fast for two meals, I don't see the need for water. It makes sense for Jesus and perhaps Ghandi and their long term fasting practices. But for me, I find I do ok if I hydrate the day before and set my thoughts away from any kind of physical satisfaction. I feel best about my worship that way and that is why I do it that way. It is just a gut feeling that I search if I ever have a question....one that has guided me to obstain from even gum chewing.

Though God, Jesus was also a man while he walked the Earth, and must definitely have had water for a 40-day fast, for the human body will die without being rehydrated for such a stretch of time.

My bit to add to this discussion is Matthew 15:

The Pharisees accused Jesus' disciples of breaking tradition (by not ceremonially washing themselves before eating) and Jesus replied by saying it is not what goes into a man's mouth that makes him unclean, rather what comes out of it, for what comes out a man's mouth reflects what is in his heart.

Because we are only asked to fast for two meals, I don't see the need for water. It makes sense for Jesus and perhaps Ghandi and their long term fasting practices. But for me, I find I do ok if I hydrate the day before and set my thoughts away from any kind of physical satisfaction. I feel best about my worship that way and that is why I do it that way. It is just a gut feeling that I search if I ever have a question....one that has guided me to obstain from even gum chewing.

We simply don't know what the Lord did or those who walked the deserts usually have a small 'pebble' to retain moisture. Let us put words down on something that most are not privy in knowing for sure. ;)