• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Superbaldguy

Superbaldguy

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:39 AM

Well, this is not what you call deep doctrine, but I am wondering if gum chewing is considered to be part of fasting. One of my angelic 9-year-old friends says I wasn't fasting yesterday, she was trying to get candy from me and was using this as an excuse, since she stops fasting after lunch. Rascal. Thoughts?

#2 Aesa

Aesa

Banned

• Banned
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

Healthwise, probably not. When you chew, your body percieves this as food coming toward the stomach and starts getting ready ... so you can "strip" layers off your stomach.

#3 Superbaldguy

Superbaldguy

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:23 AM

I have seem many members chew gum when fasting, I suppose this is one of those personal choice issues. For fresh breath purposes, it's practical - you can use a Listerine spray inhaler to get better results.

#4 Palerider

Palerider

I don\'t own a horse-Senior Member

• Members
  • 18339 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:07 AM

I have seem many members chew gum when fasting, I suppose this is one of those personal choice issues. For fresh breath purposes, it's practical - you can use a Listerine spray inhaler to get better results.

I do think its a personal choice......I don't chew gum when fasting but I know others that do....
As Long As I Am Here......It Doesn't Matter Where Here Is.....

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them....Ronald Reagan

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.......Will Rogers

#5 FunkyTown

FunkyTown

• Members
  • 3990 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:28 AM

I chew gum to get rid of fasting breath. Brushing just can't seem to eliminate it. My thoughts? I don't swallow, therefore it's not breaking fast. I also don't consider passing by food or picking up food to be breaking the fast. ;)

#6 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 52127 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:22 AM

I don't swallow, therefore it's not breaking fast.

Just in humor here...Is that along the line..I didn't inhale therefore I didn't smoke pot? lol

#7 RachelleDrew

RachelleDrew

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

I do, but then my gum chewing is habitual anyway as i'm an ex-smoker. No food + no gum = nothing in my mouth to keep me from craving a cigarette. I just don't chew gum in sacrament meetings though. It seems rude to me to be chomping away at gum during sacrament.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there...

#8 skylercollins

skylercollins

• Inactive with Posts
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:03 AM

Part of the gum is digested, ie the flavor part as it goes with your saliva down to your stomach. I wouldn't chew gum during a fast.
Browse my blogs at SkylerJCollins.com..

"The libertarian holds that it is not the business of the law—the use of retaliatory violence—to enforce anyone’s conception of morality. It is not the business of the law—even if this were practically possible, which is, of course, most unlikely—to make anyone good or reverent or moral or clean or upright. This is for each individual to decide for himself." -Murray Rothbard, "For a New Liberty"

#9 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • 5483 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

when i was a teenager i used to get physically ill when fasting (or any time i had to be without food) chewing gum helped prevent that for me. i also find that chewing gum would help remind me i'm fasting, i'd remove it to eat something and would remind me i was fasting. i found gum chewing to be very helpful in my learning to fast. i don't chew gum now, well.. except when i'm pregnant, then i live off of if. i find gum chewing helps stay off the morning sickness (which for me was all day), indigestion, motion sickness when traveling, etc.

i don't have problems, i have issues
problems can be fixed, issues you just deal with

"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it.
The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be."
-Robert Fulghum

#10 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5856 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

For people who have side effeccts from medcations that result in dry mouth or the autoimmune disease Sjogren's, chewing gum helps a lot in more ways that just bad breath. It also helps you keep your teeth. Yes I chew gum. . . my mouth gets so dry from the medicaions I take. applepanswy

#11 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10399 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

A lot of fasting is a personal choice. You do what you can. I have a friend who is diabetic and can't fast. She fasts only one meal, or from certain foods instead. Me, I get really bad headaches if I fast and don't drink water. If I go without food and water for that long...you do NOT want to be around me. So I drink water when I fast. I have a hard time keeping the true Spirit of the fast if I don't, because all I can focus on is me and my problems, instead of whatever or whomever I am fasting for.

If you want to chew gum, chew gum. I'm with Rachelle on not chomping away in the chapel during Sacrament meeting, though.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#12 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

Well, this is not what you call deep doctrine, but I am wondering if gum chewing is considered to be part of fasting. One of my angelic 9-year-old friends says I wasn't fasting yesterday, she was trying to get candy from me and was using this as an excuse, since she stops fasting after lunch. Rascal.

Thoughts?

I do chew gum on fast Sunday and sometimes on other Sundays....:D

It is not what is in the mouth that counts but what is in the heart that matters.

#13 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

I chew gum to get rid of fasting breath. Brushing just can't seem to eliminate it.

A time when a laugh button is needed. :lol:

#14 NeuroTypical

NeuroTypical

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 7451 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

I have a wide range of very strong opinions on the subject, but since I've only managed to pull off one successful fast in the last 2 years, I think I'll just keep them to myself, and be content that as far as this thread goes, I'm in the company of my betters. LM
If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack, to sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

Ohhh....
If I were a rich man...

#15 Misshalfway

Misshalfway

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 5847 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

I think that if you are worried about whether or not to chew gum, you are missing the point. Fasting is a spiritual experience. What practices help you to have a better spiritual experience? What behaviors help you to feel closer to the Lord and feel that your sacrifice is the kind you wanted to offer? I think if you answer those questions the issue over gum chewing or water sipping just takes care of itself. I think if you have a question of whether or not you can "get away" with chewing it, then perhaps that is showing you that you need to give it up. Try it and then see if your fast doesn't become more powerful as you discipline your physical appetites. One other note..... I think as we progress and "practice" the law of the fast, our worship and our righteous desires become more refined. We move to a place where our behaviors are no longer a question and where our desires and appetites are for the eternal and not the temporal. And that is where we start to notice how Father in Heaven has changed us and refined us and is now showing us and blessing us with greater portions of light and learnings.

#16 threepercent

threepercent

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:28 AM

I think the question is off. perhaps you should ask yourself, what is a fast, then you could answer your original question.

#17 Guest_HEthePrimate_*

Guest_HEthePrimate_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Why wouldn't chewing gum be ok? If you're doing it to freshen your breath, please DO! It'll be a favor to your neighbors in F&T meeting. :P HEP

#18 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • LocationCity of Champions

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Back in the '70's the Sister missionaries told me that it was okay to chew gum while fasting.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle

Sound, balanced teaching is a must. Our default should be to partake. Our default should be to live in joy, not condemnation. Our default should be to love, not to correct, to encourage, not to criticize. (Quote from prisonchaplain)

#19 Moksha

Moksha

Banned

• Banned
  • 9321 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

It has always seemed to me that holiness is not in the act of fasting, rather that fasting helps put us more in touch with the divine. Therefore, fasting assists the communion process.
Jesus said, "The first in importance is, love the Lord God.'
And here is the second: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'
There is no other commandment that ranks with these."

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

#20 lilered

lilered

• Inactive with Posts
  • 1726 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

How about sucking on breath mints during F & T meeting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq