No Trial we experience is wasted

AngelonaWing

Posted Image

No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God. . .and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven."
(Quoted in Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle, p. 98.

Posted Image

No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God. . .and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven."

(Quoted in Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle, p. 98.

Help me understand. When I read this, I agree with Pres. Kimball. However, it sure doesn't sound very hopeful. How do we understand this quote with the quote from Joseph Smith who said, "Happiness is the object and design of our existence..."

Perhaps I just don't have a good perspective, but suffering and sorrow doesn't sound very happy to me.

So your definition of free will with no consequences. Does that mean someone can exercise their right to free will and murder someone but with no consequences? That's what I'm getting from your comment.

I do not think God should punish us if we do not choose to obey him or make a choice that he does not like. I think that is basically slavery.

I choose to make my own way.

Yes you should be punished for things like murder but not things like drinking a beer.

what if your drinking that beer makes your driving ability suffer and you get into an accident....should you be punished for drinking a beer.....

Why not answer the questions instead of telling people they fail. Or is it you just don't have a rebuttal to what they say?

I happen to think Pale has a point. Okay fine you drink a beer, but what if you do get into an accident...no consequences then?