#1 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

The Jessops: An FLDS family in pictures

Nicely done article by Jack Kurtz
Church of Christ (Bible & Book of Mormon)

(Disclaimer: The preceeding website is in no way associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or the More Good Foundation)

Isaiah 43 : 10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

#2 Kirajo

Kirajo

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

That was an interesting read! I read the book Escape by Carolyn Jessop and it was disturbing to say the least. So this was definitely interesting.

#3 Palerider

Palerider

I don\'t own a horse-Senior Member

• Members
  • 18344 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

oh yes....interesting....
As Long As I Am Here......It Doesn't Matter Where Here Is.....

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them....Ronald Reagan

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.......Will Rogers

#4 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

That was an interesting read! I read the book Escape by Carolyn Jessop and it was disturbing to say the least. So this was definitely interesting.

I have a hard time believing much of what Carolyn Jessop has to say. Books written by ex-members of any church to me are suspect. Most people that leave a religious organization don't tend to focus on the positive and they exaggerate the negative.

(Disclaimer: The preceeding website is in no way associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or the More Good Foundation)

Isaiah 43 : 10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

#5 RachelleDrew

RachelleDrew

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have a hard time believing much of what Carolyn Jessop has to say. Books written by ex-members of any church to me are suspect. Most people that leave a religious organization don't tend to focus on the positive and they exaggerate the negative.

Seeing as how Warren Jeffs is in jail, i'd say that there isn't much positive to focus on.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there...

#6 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Seeing as how Warren Jeffs is in jail, i'd say that there isn't much positive to focus on.

You do realize there are approx. 10 thousand people in their church, and each individuals experience is different, right?

There are LDS bishops in jail for molestation, does that make the whole church bad?

Edited by KristofferUmfrey, 21 December 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#7 hordak

hordak

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 2175 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:49 AM

How many times was Joseph Smith in Jail?

#8 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9692 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:09 AM

My only question is how do those women get their hair to stick up in the front like that so it looks like they're always standing up in the back of a pickup in the wind? Do they have to use tons of hairspray to make it do that?
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#9 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

My only question is how do those women get their hair to stick up in the front like that so it looks like they're always standing up in the back of a pickup in the wind? Do they have to use tons of hairspray to make it do that?

I think they do use copious amounts of hairspray. There is a couple pictures of one of the mothers fixing a girls hair and the hairspray bottle is being used.

#10 FunkyTown

FunkyTown

• Members
  • 3990 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

I think they do use copious amounts of hairspray. There is a couple pictures of one of the mothers fixing a girls hair and the hairspray bottle is being used.

Hahah. Yes. That is some serious 80s hair there.

On the other hand, I was impressed with the way the patriarch of the family handled questions. When asked how many wives and children he had, he didn't answer. This is important because, while some would claim this was avoidance of the question, this was the only way he could concentrate on what he wanted us to know: That this isn't a monstrous institution.

It's not exactly hard-hitting journalism, but whatever. It highlights the whole "Live and let live" idea that I have.

#11 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Hahah. Yes. That is some serious 80s hair there.

On the other hand, I was impressed with the way the patriarch of the family handled questions. When asked how many wives and children he had, he didn't answer. This is important because, while some would claim this was avoidance of the question, this was the only way he could concentrate on what he wanted us to know: That this isn't a monstrous institution.

It's not exactly hard-hitting journalism, but whatever. It highlights the whole "Live and let live" idea that I have.

Ok, I took you off ignore to see this post. Wasn't too bad, we'll see how long it lasts...

Haven't these people experienced enough "hard hitting journalism" by the likes of Nancy Grace?

It's nice to see a story that treats them like human beings.

#12 FunkyTown

FunkyTown

• Members
  • 3990 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Ok, I took you off ignore to see this post. Wasn't too bad, we'll see how long it lasts...

Hahah. My guess is only as long as it takes for another political thread to pop up. ;)

#13 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9692 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

So, is there a large hole in the ozone layer directly above Short Creek? Wait till the environmentalists see that!
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#14 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

So, is there a large hole in the ozone layer directly above Short Creek? Wait till the environmentalists see that!

If you see a mushroom cloud you know somebody lit a match.

#15 RachelleDrew

RachelleDrew

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

How many times was Joseph Smith in Jail?

Good point, but i'd say Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs are in a far different category from one another.

I guess my problem with those who practice polygamy is not the actual practice, for if it were legal I wouldn't have a problem with it. I understand they aren't TECHNICALLY breaking any laws, but that doesn't make it any less obnoxious. I have a problem with people who try and find loopholes in the law to serve their own purpose.

I know not every person in the FLDS beats their wives and fears societal norms, my problem is with people who are abusing the system to serve their needs.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there...

#16 KristofferUmfrey

KristofferUmfrey

Banned

• Banned
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

Good point, but i'd say Joseph Smith and Warren Jeffs are in a far different category from one another.

I guess my problem with those who practice polygamy is not the actual practice, for if it were legal I wouldn't have a problem with it. I understand they aren't TECHNICALLY breaking any laws, but that doesn't make it any less obnoxious. I have a problem with people who try and find loopholes in the law to serve their own purpose.

I know not every person in the FLDS beats their wives and fears societal norms, my problem is with people who are abusing the system to serve their needs.

Fine Rachelle, lets compare...

*Warren is accused of arranging marriages and marrying teenage girls
*Joseph, according to your own historical accounts, married and arranged the marriage of teenage girls.

*For many years the LDS broke the law in their practice of polygamy because the believed it was a divine commandment from heaven.
*The FLDS break the law in this regard because they believe it is a divine commandment from heaven.

The "It's fine when we do it, but really bad when others do it." attitude doesn't fly with me.

#17 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 9076 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

I suggest that if someone is interested in the FLDS that they talk to someone that is FLDS. I believe it is most unwise to convers on subjects we do not understand or have a reasonable background. I would hope that as we speak of religious things we ought to begin with a clear statement of our own beliefs rather than muddled statements on the beliefs of others that we have no first hand knowledge or understanding. The Traveler

#18 Kirajo

Kirajo

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

You do realize there are approx. 10 thousand people in their church, and each individuals experience is different, right?

There are LDS bishops in jail for molestation, does that make the whole church bad?

She actually made it very clear in her book that not every woman felt the way she did and that her situation was particularly unique.

#19 Book_of_Mormon_Warrior

Book_of_Mormon_Warrior

Banned

• Banned
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

Psalm 127 3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
When you think to judge someone else, compare your life to Jesus and discover your own awful wickedness.

#20 Faded

Faded

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 1048 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

Well, technically they are breaking the laws because the anti-polygamy/anti-bigamy laws are still on the books. They fall into the category of "laws that nobody bothers to enforce." Most of those laws were a product of the Anti-Polygamy Crusade that was waged against our own Church. When Joseph Smith and Brigham Young enacted polygamy, there were no laws prohibiting it, so the US government had to create some.

The frustrating thing about the FLDS is two-fold.
1.) We used to practice the same thing -- polygamy. Our version of polygamy is ancient history, but we are still forced to reconcile ourselves to polygamy as an eternal principal. It is something that God has asked his chosen people to live in times past, going back at least as far as Abraham - not as the rule, but as the rare exception to the rule of monogamy. Their practice of polygamy is very different of course. The main trouble they have is:

32 I command and men obey not; I revoke and they receive not the blessing.
33 Then they say in their hearts: This is not the work of the Lord, for his promises are not fulfilled. But wo unto such, for their reward lurketh beneath, and not from above.

The Lord said, "No more polygamy." and they said, "Blasphemy! False prophet! We're going to keep doing it anyways!" I doubt that the practice involves less than 5% of their men, so they certainly changed it to suit themselves, and I'm well aware that my saying so is only scratching the surface in terms of differences.
2.) There are a TON of people that are absolutely certain that FLDS are LDS. "Ah ha! So those Mormons still have seven wives! Those two missionaries I asked about it were lying!" It's extremely frustrating having them hanging around anywhere near Utah and ruining the reputation of the REAL Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The news reports always contain a blurb saying, "this group is not affiliated with ..." but it's brief and most viewers/readers don't catch it or don't understand it. So they think it's us. :mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq