baby blessing

LuckOfTheIrish

On 8/8/2012 at 1:32 PM, Anddenex said:

A few years back the ward I am currently in was under the impression that a baby blessing is a prayer.

In the old handbook it actually states "Address your Heavenly (as in prayer)", and as a result members, even GA's (Seventies), interpreted this as a baby blessing is a prayer, and Heavenly Father should be addressed throughout the whole prayer. However, the newly revised manual no longer adds "(as in prayer)".

When I blessed my first baby, my son, the second counselor in the Bishopric took me aside and said that people have interpreted a baby blessing incorrectly, and that you do not address Heavenly Father, except in the beginning of the blessing.

When I moved into the ward I am now in, my Bishop, with my daughters blessing, took me aside and said you bless your daughter addressing Heavenly Father the whole way through. You are not blessing the child. They were under the impression that a child, a baby, is not able to comprehend a blessing, so you don't address the baby, you address Heavenly Father.

Talk about confusion. I obeyed the Bishop and addressed Heavenly Father the whole way through. It was uncomfortable for me.

As I have researched this I read an article that was posted in the Ensign regarding this. I have found this to be the most wise counsel.

The individual mentioned that a baby blessing, is a priesthood blessing like any other priesthood blessing. When we give blessing we don't address Heavenly Father, we bless. However, the counsel I really enjoyed is that when giving a blessing we should do so as the spirit directs, yet, sometimes a father may feel he would like a particular blessing to be pronounced on his child, but does not necessarily feel it is prompted by the spirit. At this time, the author suggested, it appears appropriate at this time, since the blessing begin with addressing Heavenly Father, to address him again, more as a Father's plea, if God be willing, to grant a Father's sincere desire for his child.

When I blessed my daughter last year, I felt strongly about a certain blessing, but did not feel as if the spirit was directing it to be said. I addressed Heavenly Father, more as a plea to bless her, if it be his will.

In my minds eye, this is appropriate, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

The current handbook says to address Heavenly Father. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

The current handbook says to address Heavenly Father. 

Correct, which was specified in my second paragraph. Reread to see what I said was excluded in the new version of the Handbook verses the older Handbook.

Edited by Anddenex
quote to paragraph first sentence.