5 replies to this topic

#1 Deb

Deb

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:49 AM

While I was in Church yesterday I overheard some folks talking about a story called "The Golden Pot." They were being rather hush hush about it, but I think I heard them mentioning something about a Grant Palomer or Palmer and his being excommunicated for writing a book about how this story was used to inspire Joseph Smith about the angel Moroni and the Gold Plates. Does anyone here know anything about all this? No one at Church seemed to want to talk to about it openly.

#2 Snow

Snow

Banned

• Banned
  • 10624 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

First I don't buy that you are innocently asking cuz you don't know.

Second, I don't buy the hush hush cover it up picture you paint.

Third, The Golden Pot is a German story by E.T.A. Hoffmann that if you stand on your head and spin around and around until you get very dizzy seems to have some loose parallels to the JS account of Moroni's visits. Palmer argues that because JS knew a guy who liked literature and had been to Germany that... well actually Palmer doesn't argue much - he insinuates without any evidence that JS stole the story from Hoffmann and from it fabricated the Moroni story.
There is nothing more pathetic than the anti anti-mormon Colonel Louis/Lewis Tucker

#3 Deb

Deb

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:03 AM

Though I do appreciate your explanation of the story, I don't appreciate your insinuations that I'm making things up or pretending something happened when it very well did. It's a shame you seem the only one on this board that knows anything about this because you are always biting the head off anyone who asks a simple question.

#4 Outshined

Outshined

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:20 AM

Since excommunication is a very private matter, how do you suppose such information got around? That is assuming he is being disciplined at all, or that it is for the book and not a personal matter.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

If carrots are so darn good for your eyes, why do I see so many dead rabbits on the side of the road?

#5 shanstress70

shanstress70

• Registered Users
  • 3037 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:10 AM

More info if you're interested.

#6 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • 1516 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 10:25 AM

geocities the best reference you could find?

Locking this topic. I removed it the first time he posted it for a reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq