What to Expect When Attending an LDS Service

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 JodyTJ

JodyTJ

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Well... I guess I should share my experience...
Saturday they had an open...meeting house, so I thought it would be a neat opportunity, while nervous I think I didn't come off like a total dolt, and they invited me to come to church the next day (it dawned on me I didn't realize it was Saturday at that moment), expecting a call from my job to start I said I would if work didn't call. No call (turned out it was machine error since it was all done by auto dialer) as a man of his word, I went.
Boy did I stand out, what with my run of the mill clothes (I don't own church clothes) long hair and my general confusion. A lot of people said hello to me, talked to me, I do wonder if the missionaries expected me to show up. They had a lunch afterwards, all in all, I felt it was a nice experience.
I didn't feel watched, which was my real fear. It was draining but not in a bad way.

Well, least I know now not to wear my normal clothes. I do have a suit and all, so I might wear that. I'm actually gunna wear normal clothes on my first time, just to get noticed. I want to talk to as many people as possible. xD But after that, church clothes are what I will wear.

#42 Lakumi

Lakumi

• Members
  • 2342 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

I still think they will notice you, but you're church could be much bigger then the one here I still don't own church clothes but they seem to feel its more important that I am actually there vs what I am wearing

#43 TalkativeIntrovert

TalkativeIntrovert

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

I wish the missionaries would show a dvd like this to prospective converts! We had 2 baptisms this month, which is great. The first Sunday afterwards, when they were receiving the gift of the holy ghost, the male turned up in a suit, the young lady turned up in stuff I wear to the gym - black 3/4 length tights and a T-shirt (which did not cover her bottom). I have no issue with what people wear, I just hope she was informed about what is "normal" and made her own decision to dress like that, rather than not being informed and feeling bad. I saw 1 fellow turn up at church in New Zealand in a Bintang (beer) singlet, stubby shorts and thongs (on his feet). He had a long beard and tattoos. He was welcomed as much as if he were wearing a suit :)

#44 JodyTJ

JodyTJ

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I still think they will notice you, but you're church could be much bigger then the one here
I still don't own church clothes but they seem to feel its more important that I am actually there vs what I am wearing

They most likely will. I think the church I am going to is quite large. I looked on the Meetinghouse locator, and the Chapel itself is enormous... not to mention the parking lot. I am guessing AT LEAST 300-400 members. And that makes me that much more nervous when I get baptized.

#45 Lakumi

Lakumi

• Members
  • 2342 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

yeah the one here is like 50-100, mind you this isn't a big city no idea what the ones back home are like

#46 LaughingMan

LaughingMan

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

They most likely will. I think the church I am going to is quite large. I looked on the Meetinghouse locator, and the Chapel itself is enormous... not to mention the parking lot. I am guessing AT LEAST 300-400 members. And that makes me that much more nervous when I get baptized.

I fail to remember what the precise number, but once attendance reaches a certain number, Wards split... so the meetinghouse you're thinking of quite possibly has a few Wards or Branches meeting in it.

#47 MsValerie

MsValerie

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Great video! Reminds me very much of the church I am attending now (Protestant, UCC), so I know I will feel right at home.

#48 walkingwithgrace

walkingwithgrace

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thank you for this! It was very informative and helpful to me. I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq