Fruits of the Spirit

LittleNipper

Fruit of the SPIRIT - Visible Growth in JESUS CHRIST

"Fruit of the SPIRIT" is a biblical term that sums up the nine visible attributes of a true Christian life. Using the King James Version of Galatians 5:22-23, these attributes are: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. We learn from scripture that these are not individual "fruits" from which we pick and choose. Rather, the fruit of the SPIRIT is one ninefold "fruit" that characterizes all who truly walk in the HOLY SPIRIT. Collectively, these are the fruits that all Christians should be producing in their new lives with JESUS CHRIST.

Fruit of the SPIRIT - The Nine Biblical Attributes

The fruit of the SPIRIT is a physical manifestation of a Christian's transformed life. In order to mature as believers, we should study and understand the attributes of the ninefold fruit:

Love - "And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in GOD, and GOD in him" (1 John 4:16). Through JESUS CHRIST, our greatest goal is to do all things in love. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" (1 Corinthians 13:4-8).

Joy - "The joy of the LORD is your strength" (Nehemiah 8:10). "Let us fix our eyes on JESUS, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of GOD" (Hebrews 12:2).

Peace - "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with GOD through our Lord JESUS CHRIST" (Romans 5:1). "May the GOD of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in HIM, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the HOLY SPIRIT" (Romans 15:13).

Longsuffering (patience) -- We are "strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness" (Colossians 1:11). "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love" (Ephesians 4:2).

Gentleness (kindness) -- We should live "in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the HOLY SPIRIT and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of GOD; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left" (2 Corinthians 6:6-7).

Goodness - "Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our GOD would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power" (2 Thessalonians 1:11). "For the fruit of the SPIRIT is in all goodness and righteousness and truth" (Ephesians 5:9).

Faith (faithfulness) - "O LORD, thou art my GOD; I will exalt THEE, I will praise THY name; for THOU hast done wonderful things; THY counsels of old are faithfulness and truth" (Isaiah 25:1). "I pray that out of HIS glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through HIS SPIRIT in your inner being, so that CHRIST may dwell in your hearts through faith" (Ephesians 3:16-17).

Meekness - "Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted" (Galatians 6:1). "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love" (Ephesians 4:2).

Temperance (self-control) - "But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love" (2 Peter 1:5-7).

Fruit of the SPIRIT - A Devotional for All Christians

The fruit of the SPIRIT is a wonderful study for Christians at any level of spiritual maturity.

My question is if the above is still true or was this added by those wishing to fool believers? And if it is true, why do so many seem to be harsh in their dealings with others professing to be believers?

My question is if the above is still true or was this added by those wishing to fool believers? And if it is true, why do so many seem to be harsh in their dealings with others professing to be believers?

We all miss the mark and have much to improve on in this world and the world to come, don't we? I often wonder the same thing, especially around conference time. Is that examples of fruits of the spirit?

But . . . but . . . you believe in a different Jesus! :P

Please explain????

I think I can.

:offtopic:

Often, anti-Mormons will accuse us of believing in a 'different' Jesus than the one traditional Christians worship.

From my experience, this accusation arises from one (or more) of two main sources:

1) The Book of Mormon is subtitled 'another testament of Christ'. Somehow, some antis believe that the meaning of the phrase 'another testament of Christ' actually resembles the meaning given by the wording 'a testament of another Christ', or some similar phrasing. In this case, the anti-Mormon forces the term 'another' to modify 'Christ', when it clearly modifies 'testament'.

2) We believe in doctrine about Christ (the Godhead) that disagrees with traditional Christian thinking (the Trinity). Apparently those who believe this believe that the doctrines espoused by traditional Christianity are set forth so solidly in the Bible that any other interpretation is 'of another spirit' or 'of another Gospel' (2 Cor. 11:4). In this case, the anti-Mormon is simply closing his/her eyes to the fact that many acclaimed and widely used Bible dictionaries (including the Harper's Bible Dictionary) plainly state that the complete doctrine of the Trinity is not to be found in the Bible itself, but is a post-biblical doctrine decided upon in the early Christian councils.

Both points don't hold up to honest scrutiny. The 'Mormons believe in a different Christ' is, for a lack of a better term, the unlearned man's anti-Mormon argument. Here, Just_A_Guy was referencing that common accusation in a facetious response to LittleNipper's comment '[a]nd if it is true, why do so many seem to be harsh in their dealings with others professing to be believers?'

:backtotopic:

I apologize for the pendantry....but some of the posters have used plurals to paraphrase the verse. It is "fruit is". There is only one fruit. I have heard people make an issue out of that, I don't know if it makes that big a difference but quoting scripture accurately never hurt anyone.

Edited by AnthonyB

I think I can.

Often, anti-Mormons will accuse us of believing in a 'different' Jesus than the one traditional Christians worship.

From my experience, this accusation arises from one (or more) of two main sources:

1) The Book of Mormon is subtitled 'another testament of Christ'. Somehow, some antis believe that the meaning of the phrase 'another testament of Christ' actually resembles the meaning given by the wording 'a testament of another Christ', or some similar phrasing. In this case, the anti-Mormon forces the term 'another' to modify 'Christ', when it clearly modifies 'testament'.

2) We believe in doctrine about Christ (the Godhead) that disagrees with traditional Christian thinking (the Trinity). Apparently those who believe this believe that the doctrines espoused by traditional Christianity are set forth so solidly in the Bible that any other interpretation is 'of another spirit' or 'of another Gospel' (2 Cor. 11:4). In this case, the anti-Mormon is simply closing his/her eyes to the fact that many acclaimed and widely used Bible dictionaries (including the Harper's Bible Dictionary) plainly state that the complete doctrine of the Trinity is not to be found in the Bible itself, but is a post-biblical doctrine decided upon in the early Christian councils.

Both points don't hold up to honest scrutiny. The 'Mormons believe in a different Christ' is, for a lack of a better term, the unlearned man's anti-Mormon argument. Here, Just_A_Guy was referencing that common accusation in a facetious response to LittleNipper's comment '[a]nd if it is true, why do so many seem to be harsh in their dealings with others professing to be believers?'

also because Gordon Hinkley said it Maxel.

I apologize for the pendantry....but some of the posters have used plurals to paraphrase the verse. It is "fruit is". There is only one fruit. I have heard people make an issue out of that, I don't know if it makes that big a difference but quoting scripture acurately never hurt anyone.

Yes it is "fruit" so what does that mean? Is the fruit "love" and then the others are just descriptors of what love is through joy, peace, patience, kindness, etc.?

Are you wanting a greek grammar analysis! My guess would be that it is something like saying.....The grand canyon is majestic, awesome, wonderful and breathtaking. Or to really put it in LDS terms...The fruit of the LDS church is wholsomeness, purity, holiness, dedication.

(The author of the preceeding comment wishes to express that it was an example and not an expression of his personal opinion or the the truthfulness of the statement or not.)

I apologize for the pendantry....but some of the posters have used plurals to paraphrase the verse. It is "fruit is". There is only one fruit. I have heard people make an issue out of that, I don't know if it makes that big a difference but quoting scripture accurately never hurt anyone.

Well a tree will bring forth fruit, and there is a basket of fruit. If one speaks of various fruit, one might be okay in saying fruits. Each attribute of christian growth might be considered a fruit in it's own right. Where one quotes a verse verbatum, it should be as written, but a title is only a title...

also because Gordon Hinkley said it Maxel.

I can't find any quote of his that, when read in context, points to us worshiping any Jesus other than the one born in Jerusalem of the virgin Mary.

In the argument, anti-Mormons claim we worship a Jesus other than the one spoken about in the New Testament- the one born of the virgin Mary. They seek to brand us wholly un-Christian because we supposedly worship another Jesus in history.

Any remarks about the LDS worshiping 'another' Jesus that has come from the mouths of the LDS prophets have been in relation to the doctrine and view of Jesus that we maintain. We believe Jesus is fundamentally different, in some ways, than traditional Christians do. However, that does not mean we worship a Jesus different than the one we read about in the New Testament.

Thank you for pointing that out, Dr T. I hadn't remembered that when I posted. Again, we see that one has to take the quote out of context for the anti-Mormon's desired goal to be accomplished. Again, the argument doesn't hold up to honest scrutiny.

I think that there are many more gifts of the Spirit than what you listed. Just as there is no list of the ways in which we may sin, there is no list of the gifts we may be given by our Father in Heaven. We only know of some of these gifts. I noticed that your list also misses out other manifestations of the Spirit,such as Revelation, Speaking/Interpretation of Tongues, Healing, etc.

We are all imperfect, and falter. Not all will receive all these gifts. When Jesus cleansed the Temple, was he meek, gentle, or peaceful?

Littledipper, in Mosiah chapter 4 verse 13 it reads: "And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably, and to render to every man according to that which is his due."

What follows is not a list of do's and don'ts on the part of King Benjamin but rather a characterization of individuals and families who have been born of the Spirit. To have the Lord's Spirit is to do the things that the Lord would do; conversely, those possessed of an evil spirit will be the perpetrators of evil deeds. Parents are admonished to teach their children to love and serve each other. Such actions will be attended by the Spirit of the Lord, whereas to fight and quarrel is to befriend the spirit of the evil one.

"..Not have a mind to injure one another..." Paul taught the Galatians that the fruits of the Spirit are "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." Those who live in the Spirit also walk in that Spirit; having the mind of Christ, their Master, they have no disposition to do other than aid and bless one another. (Galatians 5:22-23; 1 Corinthians 2:16; D&C 11:12.)

Paul and King Benjamin had common ground on this subject - FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT.