Blessing of Baby

mormon0484

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be blessing our new baby this week and I need some help. I have only heard one or two baby blessings in my life and I am not sure what or how I am suppose to do it. I have tried looking through Ensigns but I can't find anything on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

I got the following from the lds.org site.

The Blessing of Children

Men who have the priesthood can bless babies, usually a few weeks after the babies are born. They must have the permission of the bishop or branch president to do this. The baby’s father can bless the baby if he has the Melchizedek Priesthood. If he does not have the Melchizedek Priesthood, he cannot bless the baby or be in the circle with men who bless the baby. He can ask someone who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood to bless the baby. The father, if he holds the Melchizedek Priesthood and is worthy, or another person who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood, holds the baby in his arms, assisted by others who must also hold the Melchizedek Priesthood, and says a prayer. In the prayer, he addresses our Father in Heaven, says he performs the ordinance by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood, and gives the baby a name that is chosen by the parents. He then blesses the baby as the Holy Ghost inspires him.

Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings

31180, Family Guidebook, Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings, 18

Priesthood ordinances are sacred acts given by the Lord and performed by the authority of the priesthood. Priesthood blessings are given by the authority of the priesthood for healing, comfort, and encouragement. Brethren who perform ordinances and blessings should prepare themselves by living according to gospel principles and striving to be guided by the Holy Spirit. They should perform each ordinance and blessing in a dignified manner and comply with the following requirements; the ordinance should be:

1. Performed in the name of Jesus Christ.

2. Performed by the authority of the priesthood.

3. Performed with any necessary procedures, such as using specified words or using consecrated oil.

4. Authorized by the designated priesthood leader who holds the proper keys, if necessary.

Ordinances that require priesthood leader authorization are naming and blessing children, performing baptisms and confirmations, conferring the priesthood and ordaining to a priesthood office, blessing and passing the sacrament, and dedicating graves.

The ordinances and blessings explained in this section will help fathers serve as patriarchs in their families.

Naming and Blessing Children

“Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name” (D&C 20:70). In conformity with this revelation, only worthy men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood may participate in naming and blessing children. The ordinance of naming and blessing children requires authorization from the presiding authority.

When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

1. Addresses Heavenly Father.

2. States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. Gives the child a name.

4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

Edited by skippy740

Follow the framework presented by the previous posters; then follow the Spirit. It is common to bless the child with health and sensitivity to the spirit; to grow and learn and find an eternal companion they can take to the temple; to accomplish the purpose of their life.

But mostly, follow the spirit. I have given 9 baby blessings. In only one of them, I was unable to follow the above basic formula. My tongue was 'stopped' when I tried to bless my 3rd son with health. The Spirit did allow me to bless him to be able to overcome whatever trials come to him in life.

My wife just about killed me, but what could I do? The Spirit is key.

HiJolly

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be blessing our new baby this week and I need some help. I have only heard one or two baby blessings in my life and I am not sure what or how I am suppose to do it. I have tried looking through Ensigns but I can't find anything on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

here is official statement and direction on the church website.

Naming and Blessing of Children

Under the direction of the presiding authority, only brethren who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood may participate in the ordinance of naming and blessing children (see D&C 20:70). Worthy fathers who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood should be encouraged to bless their own children.

When blessing a baby, brethren gather in a circle and place their hands under the baby. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

• 1. Addresses Heavenly Father.
  • 2. States that the blessing is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
  • 3. Gives the child a name.
  • 4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.
  • 5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.
Just keep it simple and do your very best to be worthy of guidance, And be humble. dont be concerned about what anybody thinks, be humble before the lord.:)

• 1 year later...

I think I remember a talk being given by one of the apostles during General Conference sometime within the past 2 years or so and the apostle talked about traditions that have been carried along for generations that are not correct.

He talked about one such incorrect tradition in the naming and blessing of a baby. The error is made after beginning the prayer by addressing Heavenly Father then switching to addressing the baby for the brunt of the prayer. While this is what most fathers seem to do, this apostle indicaes it is not really correct and that we should continue to address Heavenly Father throughout the entire blessing.

Can anyone else remember this talk and by whom it was given?

Thanks......