Prom Dresses/Tuxedos in Sacrament meeting

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 Carl62

Carl62

• Registered Users
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

Talk about inspirational! I would love to hear a Sacrament or General Conference talk that was based on the two paragraphs above.

:)

I'm sad to say that in my 30+ years of being in the church, I've got yet to hear anything like this being said at a GC talk. Maybe there is a GC talk on this that I just happened to miss and I hope I am proven wrong, but I believe I would've seriously noticed a talk dealing with unconditional acceptance on appearance in church.

#122 Carl62

Carl62

• Registered Users
  • 713 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

Actually this sounds almost word for word what President Hinckley said in a talk he gave once.

What talk was this Pam? I'd really love to see it.

#123 lattelady

lattelady

Banned

• Banned
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

It's bizarre that on a LDS Gospel Discussion thread, there would be 13 pages of people's various opinions regarding which clothing is correct/incorrect for sacrament meeting. None of this is really Gospel-truth. If a non-member came to this site looking for truth about what the LDS church is about, would you truly want them to come across 13 pages of opinions--few of which go back to what God has to say on the matter? God's Word has something to say, either very specific or in principle, about everything we encounter in life. Even the issue of how we dress. 1 Timothy 2:9 says, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." In a society where those kinds of things (gold, pearls, expensive clothes) were a luxury, I don't believe Paul was saying those things were banned from worship, but that displaying those things proudly should not be a woman's focus--she should focus instead on displaying good deeds. So, MODESTY is taught. But so is the importance of a non-judgemental spirit. James 4:12 says, "There is only one Law-giver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?" God's Word also says that God doesn't look at the outer appearance, He looks at the heart. He sees that as the more important thing. It seems like these are things that between Brothers and Sisters in the Lord who have relationships with one another, we should learn to speak the truth to each other in love, and live according to the Word of God, not making up our own Laws and holding our church family to those Laws. If someone has truly sinned against us (wearing something immodest that has caused us to sin), we are called to go to them (Matthew 18:15--"If a brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you...") and tell them. If they listen to us and ask for forgiveness, we have reconciliation! I think there needs to be more of this in the church. Truth, love, confession, forgiveness, reconciliation. Otherwise we will judge each other, become bitter, seek to control others, create our own set of laws to judge and condemn others by, and God's family becomes broken. God longs for us to have UNITY.

#124 Carl62

Carl62

• Registered Users
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

It's bizarre that on a LDS Gospel Discussion thread, there would be 13 pages of people's various opinions regarding which clothing is correct/incorrect for sacrament meeting. None of this is really Gospel-truth. If a non-member came to this site looking for truth about what the LDS church is about, would you truly want them to come across 13 pages of opinions--few of which go back to what God has to say on the matter? God's Word has something to say, either very specific or in principle, about everything we encounter in life. Even the issue of how we dress. 1 Timothy 2:9 says, "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." In a society where those kinds of things (gold, pearls, expensive clothes) were a luxury, I don't believe Paul was saying those things were banned from worship, but that displaying those things proudly should not be a woman's focus--she should focus instead on displaying good deeds. So, MODESTY is taught. But so is the importance of a non-judgemental spirit. James 4:12 says, "There is only one Law-giver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?" God's Word also says that God doesn't look at the outer appearance, He looks at the heart. He sees that as the more important thing. It seems like these are things that between Brothers and Sisters in the Lord who have relationships with one another, we should learn to speak the truth to each other in love, and live according to the Word of God, not making up our own Laws and holding our church family to those Laws. If someone has truly sinned against us (wearing something immodest that has caused us to sin), we are called to go to them (Matthew 18:15--"If a brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you...") and tell them. If they listen to us and ask for forgiveness, we have reconciliation! I think there needs to be more of this in the church. Truth, love, confession, forgiveness, reconciliation. Otherwise we will judge each other, become bitter, seek to control others, create our own set of laws to judge and condemn others by, and God's family becomes broken. God longs for us to have UNITY.

The best post on this thread yet!! Thank you lattelady!:)

#125 belledame2

belledame2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

As long as the dresses and tuxes are modest, I see no problem here. That's done in my ward and it's never bothered me.

#126 Justinator1

Justinator1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Dallin H. Oaks, “Sacrament Meeting and the Sacrament,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 17–20

How we dress is an important indicator of our attitude and preparation for any activity in which we will engage. If we are going swimming or hiking or playing on the beach, our clothing, including our footwear, will indicate this. The same should be true of how we dress when we are to participate in the ordinance of the sacrament. It is like going to the temple. Our manner of dress indicates the degree to which we understand and honor the ordinance in which we will participate.

What I said earlier about the importance of appropriate dress for those who receive the ordinance of the sacrament obviously applies with special force to the young men of the Aaronic Priesthood who officiate in any part of that sacred ordinance. All should be well-groomed and modestly dressed. There should be nothing about their personal appearance or actions that would call special attention to themselves or distract anyone present from full attention to the worship and covenant making that are the purpose of this sacred service.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gave a valuable teaching on this subject in general conference 13 years ago. Since most of our current deacons were not even born when these words were last spoken here, I repeat them for their benefit and that of their parents and teachers: “May I suggest that wherever possible a white shirt be worn by the deacons, teachers, and priests who handle the sacrament. For sacred ordinances in the Church we often use ceremonial clothing, and a white shirt could be seen as a gentle reminder of the white clothing you wore in the baptismal font and an anticipation of the white shirt you will soon wear into the temple and onto your missions” (“This Do in Remembrance of Me,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 68).

#127 Carl62

Carl62

• Registered Users
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

Dallin H. Oaks, “Sacrament Meeting and the Sacrament,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 17–20

While I agree that dress should be important when we partake of the sacrament, it shouldn't overshadow what the REAL importance is before doing this ordinance and that is the way we live our lives from day to day. Any clown can put on a white shirt and tie for a few hours each Sunday just for looks, but if throughout the week they're at home beating their wife and having innapropriate relations with their children, then what good does the white shirt and tie do? I guess for me this puts to mind the Vietnam flashbacks of when I was on my mission and for people to see the missionaries you would have thought that they were all perfect angels with their white shirts and name tags and big smiles carrying their scriptures, yet the truth was was that I could rattle off the names of at least a dozen of them who were complete hellions. This included such acts as swearing like sailors ('f' bombs galor!), swimming, lying on their reports constantly about tracting 20 or more hours a week when very little if any was being done, unhooking odometer cables in cars to go to Mexico while they were U.S. based, actual girlfriends in the mission boundaries (yes, I'm talking physical!), and one zone leader who came by our apartment to get our weekly reports in just swim trunks, flip-flops and a towel wrapped around his neck because him and his companion were in a hurry to get to the beach, etc. etc., but yet to the members they were so upstanding and so righteous just because the way they looked! I guess this is why I place waaaay more emphasis on the heart and mind then I do the outward appearance, and correct me if I'm wrong on this but I think Jesus did also!

Edited by Carl62, 12 September 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#128 Justinator1

Justinator1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

I agree 100%, I just quoted the portion that dealt with the matter of proper dress (I haven't read all 13 pages so pardon if that is not longer the topic). He goes quite in depth about more then just dress.

#129 lizzy16

lizzy16

• Registered Users
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

I know this was awhile ago but I think its more of a Utah Mormon/out west thing.
Although, my mom from Utah told the YW a few years ago about this and they wore they're dresses. Competley modest. My brother went that year, he wore a nice suit, not a tux. But, he had a vest too....
All the youth old enough went as one big group that year.
I'm going to prom this year but with school friends and the other YW old enough won't be in prom gear. And, the other young man probably wont go. So, I probably won't even though I'm sewing my own bolero and everything :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq