Obama Cancels National Day of Prayer

Churchmouse

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the White Houise. He says he prays in private. I wonder whom he prays to.

This guy worries me more and more each day.

Good for him! I admire a man who won’t use prayer as a political stunt.

Notice also that he didn’t cancel the prayer breakfast, and that he also signed the proclamation recognizing the National Day of Prayer. All Obama did was choose not to have a prayer service in the White House.

Wo is me! Obama didn’t pray on national television. Proof that he hates Christianity, I say! It’s proof!!

Guest Godless

His faith is between him and his God. If he's not comfortable with making a public spectacle of it, then that's his decision, and I personally see no problem with it.

Sounds like somebody who follows:

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in dsecret; and thy Father which eseeth in secret shall freward thee openly.

Personally I think a lot of politicians are guilty of the previous verse (see below)*.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are reasons not to be happy with the man, this is not one of them. :shrug:

I personally don't care if he chooses no to invite Jewish and Christian leaders to the White House in honor of the National Day of Prayer....which has existed on some level since George Washington. Had he continued the practice of GW Bush and too a lesser extent Clinton and Bush 41, there would probably have been a stir over who was or was not invited. Obama is a polarizing figure and in some instances no matter what you do, particularly as a politician, you are always scrutinized. Perhaps a better course of action, would have been to make a public statement encouraging Americans of all religious faiths to honor this day.....much like George Washington did:

On January 1, 1795, George Washington used these words to call for a national day of prayer and fasting–already a well-established tradition in the young nation.

It is in an especial manner our duty as a people, with devout reverence and affectionate gratitude, to acknowledge our many and great obligations to Almighty God, and to implore Him to continue to confirm the blessings we experienced. Deeply penetrated with this sentiment, I, George Washington, President of the United States, do recommend to all religious societies and denominations, and to all persons whomsoever within the United States, to set apart and observe Thursday, the 19th day of February next, as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, and on that day to meet together and render sincere and hearty thanks to the great Ruler of nations for the manifold and signal mercies which distinguish our lot as a nation…

Washington’s proclamation went on to request a list of items as appropriate for this week’s National Day of Prayer as for that one so long ago. He asked citizens to pray that

God would continue to prolong His blessings on the young nation.

God would imprint on American hearts a solemn sense of our obligations to Him.

God would preserve us from the arrogance that accompanies prosperity.

Americans would continue to merit God’s favor by not abusing it.

Our nation would develop the habits of sobriety, order, morality and piety.

Notice also that he didn’t cancel the prayer breakfast, and that he also signed the proclamation recognizing the National Day of Prayer. All Obama did was choose not to have a prayer service in the White House.

Wo is me! Obama didn’t pray on national television. Proof that he hates Christianity, I say! It’s proof!!

:):) I agree with you. IT'S PROOF, IT'S PROOF:):)

While I’m ranting, what exactly is the point of wondering to whom Obama prays. Are you worried he’s a Muslim? Oh the horror, a man that might pray to Allah!

That just makes me wonder why you are afraid he might be a Muslim.

Are you afraid he will go easy on extreme Islamic terrorists with whom we engage in warfare? You’d have to be highly uneducated about Islamic factions to believe that, because the fighting that goes on between Sunnis and Shiites is pretty indicative of how well different ideologues get along there.

Oh, I know! You must be afraid that Obama is of the same ideology as bin Laden and Al-Qaeda. That makes perfect sense, seeing as Obama is what you would describe a “bleeding-heart liberal” and al-Qaeda endorses sharia. Can you really hold a straight face while trying to discredit Obama as being “Muslim” while simultaneously accusing him of being a “left wing radical?” If you can, Roger Clemens has a spot for you on his legal team.

Or is it possible that the distaste for the idea that Obama might be a Muslim grows purely from religious bigotry? This reminds me of an Action Alert I got from the American Family Association a few years ago. The AFA was encouraging people to write their Senators because something horrible had happened—a Muslim had been asked to give the invocation to the upcoming Senate session. “NO! ONLY CHRISTIANS CAN PRAY IN OUR GOVERNMENT!”

Again. Good job President Obama for breaking this time-honored tradition (sarcasm: only G.W. Bush ever had a prayer service in the White House) and re-emphasizing the importance of prayer in our private lives.

While I’m ranting, what exactly is the point of wondering to whom Obama prays. Are you worried he’s a Muslim? Oh the horror, a man that might pray to Allah!

I think the worry is that he prays to Jimmy Carter. :D

Guest Godless

In 2004, Mormons were barred from conducting services during National Day of Prayer ceremonies by the group's task force chairwoman, Shirley Dobson.

Somehow, that doesn't surprise me.

If you are a Republican President of the United States, people loyal to the Democrat Party will read the most ridiculous of things into everything you do.

If you are a Democrat President of the United States, people loyal to the Republican Party will read the most ridiculous things into everything you do.

Conspiracy theorists claim that George W Bush and his administration planned and executed the 9/11 attacks. Conspiracy theorists claim that Barack Obama is a closet Muslim Extremist and that he is secretly promoting their cause while pretending to be a Christian. Both groups have one thing in common. THEY ARE IDIOTS!!

I think it's high time we grow up as a people and stop letting our opinions be so completely influenced by our political party's position on things. I'm curious to know exactly what Obama said and did in this case, but I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

That's my $0.02

Conspiracy theorists claim that George W Bush and his administration planned and executed the 9/11 attacks. Conspiracy theorists claim that Barack Obama is a closet Muslim Extremist and that he is secretly promoting their cause while pretending to be a Christian. Both groups have one thing in common. THEY ARE IDIOTS!!

Or they have trouble remembering their Tom Clancy plots. :)

Hyperbole does not disprove a basic point--Obama chose to break with tradition, knowing full well he was sending a message. I'm not sure if he's telling his base not to worry about the influence of religious groups, perhaps letting homosexuals know that while he does not yet support gay marriage he is putting religionists in their place, or maybe he's just more concerned with the fallout from whomever he would have chose and not chose to come. Irregardless, it's disingenious for the secular left to accuse us of hypersensitivity over this matter. Imagine their chagrin if Obama had chosen not to honor Darwin Day in order to let Intelligent Design folks know that they are are included.

It would bother me because he hid it and pretended to be a Christian. BTW, I doubt that he is. You keep using the most extreme hyperbole, in order to paint Obama's skeptics as what...maybe foolish and paranoid??? There are legitimate reasons to be critical of a decision to break with long-held traditions. Efforts to marginalize legitimate dissent aren't very democratic.

Edited by prisonchaplain

In 2004, Mormons were barred from conducting services during National Day of Prayer ceremonies by the group's task force chairwoman, Shirley Dobson.

Group limits Mormon participation in National Day of Prayer

Forced me to go look for references on that since I didn't know about that. Very interesting. Isn't it sad that Christianity just never seems to be able to get over their default mode of relgious bigotry? What sort of an idiotic organization sets nitpicky rules and qualifications for participation in their "National Day of Prayer" event, in a world that is increasingly turning it's back on Christianity and all religion??

Fried said Mormons are still free to attend the prayer services, but wouldn't be allowed to speak in or direct the proceedings.

That goes for the 11 events the group is putting together in Utah - including one at the state Capitol - and any of the tens of thousands of ceremonies across the country.

Are Latter Day Saints still banned from participation? I'll follow up if I find anything.

Sounds like somebody who follows:

Matthew 6:6

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in dsecret; and thy Father which eseeth in secret shall freward thee openly.

Personally I think a lot of politicians are guilty of the previous verse (see below)*.

Matthew 6:5

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are reasons not to be happy with the man, this is not one of them. :shrug:

That was exactly my first thought (those verses).

If you can, Roger Clemens has a spot for you on his legal team.

:rofl:

I'm just wondering why we care so much? So he canceled one event. So?

Hyperbole does not disprove a basic point--Obama chose to break with tradition, knowing full well he was sending a message. I'm not sure if he's telling his base not to worry about the influence of religious groups, perhaps letting homosexuals know that while he does not yet support gay marriage he is putting religionists in their place, or maybe he's just more concerned with the fallout from whomever he would have chose and not chose to come. Irregardless, it's disingenious for the secular left to accuse us of hypersensitivity over this matter. Imagine their chagrin if Obama had chosen not to honor Darwin Day in order to let Intelligent Design folks know that they are are included.

I might be willing to accept that argument, except that this tradition is all of 8 years in the making. The White House prayer service was a concoction of the G.W. Bush administration. I don’t really think that qualifies it as a ‘tradition.’

It would bother me because he hid it and pretended to be a Christian. BTW, I doubt that he is. You keep using the most extreme hyperbole, in order to paint Obama's skeptics as what...maybe foolish and paranoid??? There are legitimate reasons to be critical of a decision to break with long-held traditions. Efforts to marginalize legitimate dissent aren't very democratic.

Now this I could understand. Sadly, that’s never the concern of the Obama-is-a-Muslim-speculists.

It appears that the prohibition still stands and extends to a long list of other religions. Evangelical Christians dominate the National Day of Prayer Task Force. By being discriminatory in their organization of the National Day of Prayer events, they are opening the door to criticism and lawsuits. Government leaders have to keep the Task Force at a distance if they want to avoid controversy and possible lawsuit.

The whole thing seems extremely foolish to me. Instead of drawing the lines as, “People of Faith vs Atheists” they have effectively created “Evangelical Christianity vs Everyone Else.” Awfully silly of them to effectively paint a target on their whole organization that says, “We Are Religious Bigots!!!” It’s quite the unfortunate distraction from the whole purpose of the National Day of Prayer. I wonder if they will have the good sense to rethink their currently very bigoted position?

…it does seem like calling it a "national" day of prayer is inaccurate if you're excluding a significant portion of the nation. Because if you volunteer to help out with events in your area, you're only welcome if you sign the following: A volunteer must be an evangelical Christian who has a personal relationship with Christ. I acknowledge that I am working for the Lord Jesus Christ and the furthering of His Work on earth and agree to perform my work with the highest standard of Christian faith.

That pretty much rules out Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Mormons, Buddhists, and Zoroastrians, to say nothing of the Pagan and Wiccan groups. In fact, Jews On First has pretty much denounced the group as being discriminatory.

Domination of the NDP by the religious right

Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc.

National Day of Prayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The National Day of Prayer Task Force does have one thing working in its favor. They have no official status of any kind and are a private organization. This means that cannot be forced to include other religions. I do think they’d be foolish not to though. How will Christianity ever live down its reputation for blind intolerance otherwise? How silly is it to give any basis to the following accusation:

National Day of Prayer = National Day of Religious Intollerance

You're effectively ruining the day over petty nonsense. Why??

Are you afraid he will go easy on extreme Islamic terrorists with whom we engage in warfare? You’d have to be highly uneducated about Islamic factions to believe that, because the fighting that goes on between Sunnis and Shiites is pretty indicative of how well different ideologues get along there.

Oh, I know! You must be afraid that Obama is of the same ideology as bin Laden and Al-Qaeda. That makes perfect sense, seeing as Obama is what you would describe a “bleeding-heart liberal” and al-Qaeda endorses sharia. Can you really hold a straight face while trying to discredit Obama as being “Muslim” while simultaneously accusing him of being a “left wing radical?” If you can, Roger Clemens has a spot for you on his legal team.

Or is it possible that the distaste for the idea that Obama might be a Muslim grows purely from religious bigotry? This reminds me of an Action Alert I got from the American Family Association a few years ago. The AFA was encouraging people to write their Senators because something horrible had happened—a Muslim had been asked to give the invocation to the upcoming Senate session. “NO! ONLY CHRISTIANS CAN PRAY IN OUR GOVERNMENT!”

Again. Good job President Obama for breaking this time-honored tradition (sarcasm: only G.W. Bush ever had a prayer service in the White House) and re-emphasizing the importance of prayer in our private lives.

Take it easy. No reason to get all upset. I would hate for someone your age to have a heart attack just because you and someone that calls themself "GODLESS" are wrong.

Where I live our children say the Pledge of Allegiance, with the words, "under God" each morning. We have prayers before school board meetings and other school ativities. They even had a prayer before the prom Saturday night. If a boy becomes an Eagle Scout, it's on the front page. All the scouts in our area are sponsored by churches. So living in this environment it did bother me what he did. Sorry about where you're stuck.

I might be willing to accept that argument, except that this tradition is all of 8 years in the making. The White House prayer service was a concoction of the G.W. Bush administration. I don’t really think that qualifies it as a ‘tradition.’

This was on that rickross link earlier in the thread:

"The National Day of Prayer was established by an act of Congress in 1952 and amended in 1988 to designate the day as the first Thursday of May each year."

But regardless of how old it is, canceling it was just as much a political move as starting it was.

Heh. Are you wunna those short-term memory folks, or just making a jab at them?

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back,

when brown can stick around,

When yellow will be mellow,

When the red man can get ahead, man,

And when white will embrace what is right!"

No political stunting going on with the current administration, no sir!

LM

Guest Godless

This was on that rickross link earlier in the thread:

"The National Day of Prayer was established by an act of Congress in 1952 and amended in 1988 to designate the day as the first Thursday of May each year."

But regardless of how old it is, canceling it was just as much a political move as starting it was.

I confess, I don't know much about the history of the National Day of Prayer. However, I do know that it was during the 50's that "In God We Trust" became the national motto of the US and began being printed on all US currency (it had been printed on some currency previously, but not all). The reason for this: to fight Communism. As such, I think these measures are a tad bit dated.

Heh. Are you wunna those short-term memory folks, or just making a jab at them?

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back,

when brown can stick around,

When yellow will be mellow,

When the red man can get ahead, man,

And when white will embrace what is right!"

No political stunting going on with the current administration, no sir!

LM

No one is saying that the Obama administration is completely free of political nonsense. I believe the point that some of us are trying to make is that the backlash to this decision hints at reactionism. Maybe he did do it for political reasons. Or maybe, as a few of us have suggested, he'd simply prefer to keep his religious practices private while encouraging the American people to do the same. The stigma that has long been attached to non-believers is (fortunately) a dying one. In today's day and age, I think uniting the American people is much more important than holding to a tradition that ostracizes millions of Americans (including many theists).

Edited by Godless