Obama Cancels National Day of Prayer

Churchmouse

I don't know how to clarify "I wonder whom he prays to". Would be hard to make it any more simple. The guest host for Rushbo (Don't remember his name. British man) asked the same question. He wondered if maybe he prays to himself.:

BTW, if you're trying to insult me :( by calling me paronoid:( you'll have to do better than that. During four in the Marines I was called worse.

You’re still avoiding the crux of the question. What does it matter to whom he prays? So what if he prays to himself? How does that change anything?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While some people wonder if Obama is a closet Muslim, imho that question is a red herring. Those of us who criticize his choice to dish the National Day of Prayer are mostly Christians who wonder why he's breaking with this tradition. It's a legitimate question. I say again, this attempt to sweep away the vast majority of critics by implying paranoia and by lumping us in with conspiracy theorists...well it's a tactic worthy of national political campaigns.

As for praying in private...of course. Jesus criticized those Pharisees who, in their fancy prayer robes, would INDIVIDUALLY stand in the market, praying loud, flowery prayers, in order to impress society with their spirituality. That self-righteous practice is a far cry from Christians (or any other religion) calling for Sacred Assemblies, Concerts of Prayer, or National Days of Prayer. These have an ancient tradition in Jewish history, and were generally a combination of humble repentence and praise to God. I participated in the Promise Keepers Sacred Assembly back in 1997. 100s of thousands gathered to repent for sectarianism, racism, and for our failure as fathers and husbands. Not even the secular media accused us of showboating or arrogance. Perhaps the most interesting response came from the Lesbian Avengers. They expected to condemn our politics and our sexism. Instead, seeing us on our faces, they simply said, "How pathetic to see a bunch of grown men groveling in the dirt before their so-called God."

You’re still avoiding the crux of the question. What does it matter to whom he prays? So what if he prays to himself? How does that change anything?

I'm sorry, but you've lost me. Your question doesn't make any sense. It's Friday. Maybe a just need a few day away from all these kids.:(

Guest Godless

... *Facepalm*

I'm so sorry I didn't read it the way it was intended. My apologies.

Your concerns are perfectly legitimate. As I said, it is always disappointing to learn that a politician has lied just to obtain or maintain office. Dishonesty is a glaring portrayal of weakness, regardless of how appealing the reality may be. I know my intentions are hard to read sometimes due to the fact that I try not to take myself to seriously. I can assure you that, in all seriousness, I value honesty and integrity in a politician just as much as you do. We still have a lot to learn about Obama the President as compared to Obama the presidential candidate. It is my hope that he will turn out to be just as honest and straight-forward as he portrayed himself to be prior to the election, but only time will tell.

I'm sorry, but you've lost me. Your question doesn't make any sense. It's Friday. Maybe a just need a few day away from all these kids.:(

It's not a very difficult question. All he's asking is why you care.

Guest Godless

He placed his hand on a Holy Bible and took the oath of office. We should all be concerned about WHOM he prays to, or maybe a better word, believes in.

But why? So what if he placed his hand on the Bible? Six years ago I made an oath to protect the US from all enemies, foreign and domestic. The last four words of that oath were "So help me God". Does the fact that I'm an atheist make that oath any less significant? IF Obama is a non-Christian (which I doubt), does it make his oath to the American people, which he took with his hand on the Bible, any less significant?

Even if he is a Muslim (he's not), who cares? Doesn't mean he's going to throw a towel on his head and blow up the white house.

Certainly I'd rather have a patriotic genius Muslim in the White House than an incompetent evangelical (or LDS) one. On the other hand, when I'm voting or evaluating the President of the U.S., my standard is usually a little higher than, "He's not a national security threat himself, is he???" :D

He placed his hand on a Holy Bible and took the oath of office. We should all be concerned about WHOM he prays to, or maybe a better word, believes in.

This is a liberal we're talking about, right? I would be surprised if he believes in anything more than emptying your wallet 'for the good of the country'.