Baptismal Gowns For Adult Women?

MormonGirl02

Hi everyone. I am looking for baptismal gowns for adult women. I wear at least a 2x to a 3x and I am afraid that the church won't have a size that would fit me. Where can I buy one at? All I've been able to find is children's baptismal gowns.

Ask somebody to check for you (Missionaries, Relief Society, Elder's Quorum, Bishop), in my experience the buildings with fonts usually have a pretty good selection. If you can't find a specifically made baptismal dress any all white modest dress of decent thickness should do. Actually there is no reason for it to be a dress what the Church provides tends to be jumpsuits. If its all white and its modest (even after being wet as much as wet clothing can be modest) its all good though I could understand why you might feel inclined towards something a little more special.

Check with the local ward. If they don't have what you need, they can order it for you. The church does sell some baptismal clothing online at ldscatalog.com. I found baptismal jumpers, white dresses (but don;t know how waterproof they are) and a womens' baptismal liner (which sounds like something you might wear under a dress, but there was no photo, so don't really know the details. They even have a baptismal bra! But, unless you want to keep the dress yourself, just have the ward or branch order what you need. Talk to the missionaries, Relief Society President or the Bishop/Branch President

Ask somebody to check for you (Missionaries, Relief Society, Elder's Quorum, Bishop), in my experience the buildings with fonts usually have a pretty good selection. If you can't find a specifically made baptismal dress any all white modest dress of decent thickness should do. Actually there is no reason for it to be a dress what the Church provides tends to be jumpsuits. If its all white and its modest (even after being wet as much as wet clothing can be modest) its all good though I could understand why you might feel inclined towards something a little more special.

Check with the local ward. If they don't have what you need, they can order it for you. The church does sell some baptismal clothing online at ldscatalog.com. I found baptismal jumpers, white dresses (but don;t know how waterproof they are) and a womens' baptismal liner (which sounds like something you might wear under a dress, but there was no photo, so don't really know the details. They even have a baptismal bra! But, unless you want to keep the dress yourself, just have the ward or branch order what you need. Talk to the missionaries, Relief Society President or the Bishop/Branch President

Thanks to both of you! :) Your posts have been incredibly helpful! I will definitely talk to someone at my ward first.

Guest Alana

I've never seen someone baptized in a gown, it has always been the unisex jumpers. In our wards baptismal closet there are 2x jumpers. Like was said before, ask someone in the ward what they have on hand.

Hi everyone. I am looking for baptismal gowns for adult women. I wear at least a 2x to a 3x and I am afraid that the church won't have a size that would fit me. Where can I buy one at? All I've been able to find is children's baptismal gowns.

To add to Dravin comment, talk to the Missionaries. They can access the Mission Homes clothing for various sizes.

The official instruction on clothing for a baptism is “a person who is baptized wear clean, white clothing that does not appear transparent when it is wet.” Technically, you could be baptized in a white bikini and your baptism would be valid (although you might cause quite a commotion if you were to do so). If you and your ward have trouble finding something suitable, a couple of thick white t-shirts and white khakis would do the trick. Or if you prefer, you could buy simple white dress for your baptism.

Mostly, the Church wants to make sure you aren’t embarrassed by showing off your goods following this very special moment. We very much want you to be focused on the Spirit and how you feel as you take this step, and not on trivial stuff such as clothing.

I agree with apple. You would not be the first person of a larger size that has gotten baptized. I'm sure they have resources to provide or find the proper attire for your baptism.

i got baptised in a dress- would recommend a jumpsuit if you can get one. Depending on what you want to spend and not sure of sizing as not American Whiteelegance (google them) have gorgeous dresses and one could be used for temple later on

-Charley

• 5 months later...

This is too late for the first poster, but for others: We have a baptism this week, so I just got in the shower after trying on my white temple dress and later two white blouses (with linings) and a skirt (also with a lining). All were on top of a temple slip, but all showed way too much once they were wet. Most white clothing just wouldn't stand up to water and be modest in any way. The temple slip does help, if you can borrow one from a sister in the ward, but it's a slip, so it's thin. In our small ward out in NC we don't have adequate baptismal clothing and our small temple doesn't have much either. All of the baptisms I've been to in my ward where women have gotten baptized, a lot showed (SAD!). It takes some time and preparation to find a dress that will fit (with other clothes underneath if needed). If you can find something that works and then donate it, you'll be doing a kindness to people for years to come! :)

I would think that all wards would have an assortment of differing sizes and choices. BUT, in my new ward I found that they had nothing!!! Seems this would be something that the mission leader of the ward would want to address. After all, don't we want new converts to feel welcome and special?