To become a Temple Worker???

Lost_one

A friend of mine is just about to start a mission as a Temple Worker. To me, this is the ultimate calling.

What are the requirments, to become a Temple Worker?

As an excommunicated member, will i ever be able to partake in this blessing?

My hope is simply to be able to go to the Temple again one day, But to actually be a Temple Worker would be just beyond my wildest dreams.

So go on, dash my hopes and tell me it can never happen.

If my understanding of baptism is correct and I am fairly sure it is, then a person who is reinstated would be just as clean and as blemish free as anyone. Baptism is a fresh start. It is a rebirth in every sense of the concept. There is no scarlet A or residual restrictions for one who has excommunication in their past.

I can't believe that the blessings of the gospel including the opportunity to serve in all sorts of callings wouldn't be open to you. Remember Alma the younger. He gives me hope on some many occasions.

I told people here about the old pedophile in my stake. He was convicted, exed, did his time, came back to church, was reinstated, and attends faithfully for the last twenty-or-so years since his release from prison. He is single and sticks to himself and sits by himself in church. Many people are not kind to him and some have even been cruel (I am not discounting the evil he committed, but repentance is possible -- I learned about his story from a ward-member trying to warn me about him). He is very old, but still rides the bus two days a week to work in the Mount Timpanogos Temple. He can go to church. He can pay his tithing. He can pay his fast offerings. He can do indexing. He can work in the temple. He is a temple worker (I do not know in what capacity, but I know it is not as paid staff). If you go to that temple often, you have seen him. I have.

It is no ones business what one did in their past (even if it took loads of hard work to reenter the temple). Please, work in the temple. Everyone has something they need to do and there is always a need.

I would have to agree.

However, if you were a General Authority before excommunication, I wouldn't expect that you would be called to be a General Authority again - or possibly even a Bishop or Stake President.

That is simply my opinion/thoughts. They are not from church handbooks, so I would be happy to be wrong.

Im fully aware that most Temple Workers are retired, simply so they dont have to do a regular job while serving in the Temple. Im on disability, so could potentually do it now, even though im not retired. Obviously i would need to get back into being a full member again first, But you know what I mean. Is there an age restriction?

Im fully aware that most Temple Workers are retired, simply so they dont have to do a regular job while serving in the Temple. Im on disability, so could potentually do it now, even though im not retired. Obviously i would need to get back into being a full member again first, But you know what I mean. Is there an age restriction?

Nope. My grandpa did it up to his death at 88. We young 'uns can do it too.

That's my ultimate calling as well, so I know where you're coming from. ;) I don't have access to the Handbook of Instructions, but I believe that the rules are that you must not have been subject to Church discipline within the past five years. If that's so, then it's definitely a possibility for you.

That's my ultimate calling as well, so I know where you're coming from. ;) I don't have access to the Handbook of Instructions, but I believe that the rules are that you must not have been subject to Church discipline within the past five years. If that's so, then it's definitely a possibility for you.

Cool. Well it looks like ive got something else to add to the list of stuff I need to talk to the Bishop about, once im back to full membership.:)

To become a temple worker, you need to be recommended by your bishop and your stake president. These recommendations are not supposed to be known to the person because a recommendation from these people does not guarantee a calling.

When I was serving as an ordinance worker (from 2003 to 2007), you could not be a member of a bishopric or stake presidency; you could not be a woman with children at home; you could not be a single man over the age of thirty. I'm not sure if these restrictions were specific to the temple or if they are established by the Temple Department.

As far as I know, a person whose membership has been reinstated may serve as an ordinance worker.

If you would like to be an ordinance worker, there are some ways you can inspire someone at the temple to suggest to your bishop that perhaps you should be recommended. I was called to be an ordinance worker after I began regularly attending the temple 1 to 2 times a month (it was a two hour drive) on the same day for the same shift. The ordinance workers who were on that shift came to know me, recognize me, and noticed my regular attendance, so they enlisted my help. If you want to become an ordinance worker, that would be the route I would take to get yourself recommended.

If you would like to be an ordinance worker, there are some ways you can inspire someone at the temple to suggest to your bishop that perhaps you should be recommended. I was called to be an ordinance worker after I began regularly attending the temple 1 to 2 times a month (it was a two hour drive) on the same day for the same shift. The ordinance workers who were on that shift came to know me, recognize me, and noticed my regular attendance, so they enlisted my help. If you want to become an ordinance worker, that would be the route I would take to get yourself recommended.

Im about 3 hours from the Temple. I could quite easily do that. Thank you.

To become a temple worker, you need to be recommended by your bishop and your stake president. These recommendations are not supposed to be known to the person because a recommendation from these people does not guarantee a calling.

You do not have to be recommended to be a temple worker. It is one of the ways to be called as one but it is not the only way. If you hold a temple recommend worthily and wish to be a temple worker then you can speak to your bishop about it and he will talk to the temple president about it.

Different temples have different rules when it comes to certain things but I think the requirements for being a temple worker is much like MOE stated. You must be an endowed member of the church of course. If you are a man you must have a spouse, unless you are under 30 years old. If you are a woman you must not have children at home. Also there are certain callings you can not hold while being a temple worker. This is because being a temple worker is a calling of its own, so much so that as a temple worker if your bishop wants to call you to a calling in the ward he must first call the Temple President and make sure it would not conflict with your temple calling.

My parent's have both been temple workers, both of them in the position of shift coordinators, my husband and I have both been temple workers, and my brother (who is in his early 20's and currently unmarried) was a temple worker for a time. Working in the temple really is a special thing.

You do not have to be recommended to be a temple worker. It is one of the ways to be called as one but it is not the only way. If you hold a temple recommend worthily and wish to be a temple worker then you can speak to your bishop about it and he will talk to the temple president about it.

That is true, but it does not always result in the calling being extended.

Work on getting your endowment back. Then talk to your bishop about volunteering. To be a Temple Worker (veil worker) requires a calling. So that is something else to talk to your Bishop about.

Volunteering is a bit different. You can say you want to do it. At the Ogden temple where I volunteer, its a calling. But only AFTER you say you'd like to do it. Paperwork is filled out, your bishop is asked for permission, then we are set apart. I'm not sure if this is the same procedure at all temples. It didn't used to become a calling at Ogden. But I like that it is now. It became a slightly different experience after being set apart.

I love the 4 hours in the temple. When its not busy at the clothing desk I can sit and read the scriptures. The quiet times are extraordinary.

I second everything my wife said.

In theory, you are supposed to be recommended by your bishop without your knowledge, but the reality is that it depends upon the temple district. Ours is the Chicago Temple and there is often a shortage of temple workers. Other temple districts do not have any shortage of temple workers. They might have 10 people willing to be a temple worker for every 1 slot available, as an example. In the second case, they have no choice. They can be a lot more selective about who is called and they absolutely must narrow it down somehow. In our temple district, it is often assumed that people don't actually want to be temple workers unless and until they tell their bishop directly that they're interested.

If you want to work in the temple, the best way to make it happen is to attend at least weekly. We did not ask to be temple workers, but we were attending on the same day every week with my wife's parents (and they were/are temple workers.) With that frequency of attendance, it didn't take long at all. We were both called because we have no children (not for lack of trying) and we fit all other qualifications. We're both pretty young and we both have full-time jobs.

Both my wife and I presently work in the St. Louis Temple. You must be worthy as evidenced by a current Temple Recommend. In your case, once you fulfilled the requirements of reinstatement back in the church and obtain a Temple Recommend, you are eligible. Once you have your recommend, let your Bishop know that you desire to work in the Temple. He can then discuss this with both the Stake President and the Temple President. I can tell you it is a wonderful expierence and calling.