Living Scriptures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Outshined

Outshined

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 2383 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:50 AM

So this kid pulls up in my driveway Friday, calls me by name, and starts a sales pitch for Living Scriptures.

Now maybe in some areas you can pick a house and have a good chance of finding a member, but I live in Tennessee, where Latter-day Saints are pretty scarce. Plus he's from Utah, and is staying two hours away for the summer, but he knew how to find me?

I asked him how he got my name and address, and he sort of fumbled around about how they talk to relatives and get leads that way. My closest relative is two states away and my wife and I are the only members in our families. He was mentioning other members of our ward he was going to "visit" by name as well. My suspicion is that this guy has a ward list and is using it to peddle the videos, though he denied it.

So he's in his spiel and I tell him I won't buy anything with the Nest Entertainment name on it, because Ed Decker gets royalties from that company. He was at a total loss on that one, but I showed him the letter I got from Nest about that, as well as some other stuff I have. Fact is, Decker is on the "Board of Advisors" for Nest, to keep "Mormon influence" out of the Bible videos. Sad but true, and I'm not putting any money in his pocket. <_<

They have some very nice stuff, but the prices are astronomical. 13 videos for 400 bucks?!?
Anyway, that was my encounter with the Living Scriptures salesman.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

If carrots are so darn good for your eyes, why do I see so many dead rabbits on the side of the road?

#2 StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 7706 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

I bought these many years ago and if I remember right, they ask for referrals and give a gift with so many.
We are all being watched.... StrawberryFields

#3 Snow

Snow

Banned

• Banned
  • 10624 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Outshined@May 30 2005, 05:50 AM

So he's in his spiel and I tell him I won't buy anything with the Nest Entertainment name on it, because Ed Decker gets royalties from that company. He was at a total loss on that one, but I showed him the letter I got from Nest about that, as well as some other stuff I have. Fact is, Decker is on the "Board of Advisors" for Nest, to keep "Mormon influence" out of the Bible videos. Sad but true, and I'm not putting any money in his pocket. <_<

They have some very nice stuff, but the prices are astronomical. 13 videos for 400 bucks?!?
Anyway, that was my encounter with the Living Scriptures salesman.

That any company would choose to do business with the hate mongerer Decker is an indication of how few scrupples that company must have.

I got my living scriptures videos years ago when they were from a Mormon company and I still found the sales reps to be less than fully honest. Now that Decker is involved, I wouldn't touch them will an 57 foot pole.

LETTER
To: Chris Robinson

I'll try to be brief and to the point. Nest Family is not owned by the Mormon church, nor does it have any control
over its work. The Nest Family videos are fine, Biblically sound material, but they have some Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) roots. When FEN (the original company) began to sell the videos, it was a spin
off company of Living Scriptures Inc, which was owned by two LDS men in the Provo (Utah) area. Since they were
doing LDS videos, they ended up with some New Testament tapes that weren't selling as well to the LDS market
as they had hoped. They thought to enter the general “Christian” market. However, as much as the company
tried to present generic videos from the Bible, a little LDS theology always found its way into some of the works.

I was one of the very first ministries to point that out and warn Christians about the dangers. I am very opposed
to boycotting individuals who are Mormons. I am against false doctrine, not people who are its victims. I felt the
danger warranted extreme caution. In a series of follow-up meetings with the executives of FEN, I decided to be
part of the solution rather than the problem. It was obvious that I wasn't going to stop the sales of these
videos. They gave me the power to review every video, book and workbook they had produced. Any LDS doctrine
that I found present would be taken out, videos redone, reissued and all the booklets, etc., with such material
scrapped.

I did a thorough job and they were true to their word and commitment. They also removed all Mormons from
operating management, the owners became blind investors, and now are minority owners after outside financing
was negotiated several times. I was asked to join their Advisory Board which I did along with other men like Dr.
Reg Grant from Dallas Theological Seminary. The Board reviews “every” script and has full edit control, which we
do exercise to validate true Christian context. Remember that Nest is a business, just like Nelson or Word
Publishing, several Christian companies that I am told are not owned by Christians. Jewish people buy the Old
Testament tapes, which are reviewed by us and another member of the Board, Rabbi Yechiel Eckstiein, who
authenticates everything from costumes to Old Testament accuracy.

I do receive some fees for this work, just as the others do. My fees are paid directly to the ministry of Saints
Alive, by Nest Family. My daughters have used these tapes, along with their own presence and instruction to
help instill a love of the Bible in my granddaughters. The Management of Nest are men and women of the highest
integrity. To my knowledge, most (all with whom I deal) are Christian men and women who enjoy bringing these
videos to help Christian families. While these videos are Bible-based “stories”, the pure message of the Word of
God is present in these works. And to even have me on their Advisory Board is an interesting event, isn't it?

Warmest regards,
Your brother in Christ,

Ed Decker
Saints Alive in Jesus

There is nothing more pathetic than the anti anti-mormon Colonel Louis/Lewis Tucker

#4 Setheus

Setheus

Banned

• Inactive with Posts
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Snow@Jun 12 2005, 02:29 PM
Saints Alive

What a creepy name. :mellow:
I never lie. At least not to those I do not love.

#5 begood2

begood2

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 1142 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:54 PM

After reading about them, I don't want anything to do with them! :angry:
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.

BYU RADIO is AWESOME!

LDS Talk is Great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq