Why do LDS have large food storage/supply in their home?

We prepare for disasters, unemployment, illness and general state of well being knowing that if some disaster happens we are prepared to sustain ourselves with the food we have stored.

I am always reminded of the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. I think they even made a movie of it in "It's a Bug's life". Ant was very industrious and worked and saved while the grasshopper ate and played.

Today there are those who eat and play, big houses beyond their needs, fancy cars and boats, extreme vacations, etc. Perhaps some have their food storage. I know that there are many who do not. They are focused on the living of today and no care for tomorrow. The last 18 months has made a few more care for tomorrow.

I store because I have been counseled to and because I know that this is one way to "Be Prepared". I have always liked Scouting. :)

Ben Raines

Thanks for the replies.

I have about three weeks of food stored up but nothing more than that. I don't think I did that on purpose though...probably just food that was on sale and I bought. :D

That is the best way to get started ;)

I have bought most of our food storage on sale

We prepare for short term emergencies, but also for the end times.

Many LDS believe that in the last days of wickedness, there will be destructions and dangers. Some believe that a great famine could occur, as in the days of Joseph and the Pharaoh - where Joseph had them store up 7 years food storage.

Others also think the day will come when the righteous will have to gather together for safety, and will need to food storage to live on until the danger passes. This occurred in the Book of Mormon (3 Nephi 3) under governor Lachoneus. There is a belief that the Zion that the righteous will one day build will be a refuge from the storms (D&C 45:65-75).

We have been counseled to 'be prepared' 12 years ago (then) President Hinckley counseld us to get out of debt and stay out of debt(we have been counseled like that for years but he really pushed it) and save up for a 'rainy day'

In these days of bad economic times anyone who followed his counsel is blessed.

I store food for 'hard times' no matter what they are, a few years ago I was unemployed for just over a year -- we ate quite well out of our food storage and since we were out of debt except for the mortgage (having followed President Hinckleys counsel) we were in good shape.

We're not looking for some kind of end of the workd scenario (at least most aren't) but we all have our own crises's that make it important to be self-sufficent.

• 1 month later...

I think it started right after the Great Depression. There have been lots of reasons given over the last 80 years or so, but I've never heard anything real concrete from any one, you know, like there will be a famine in 2011 or whatever. The reasons have changed somewhat over the years. I think originally they said 2 year food supply. Now I'm not sure if there is anything specific. It is just be prepared for whatever. It is pretty much common sense.