Performing a Blessing on a new home

NevadaGal1

My husband and I just purchased a new home and would like to have a blessing on the home prior to moving in. I have searched lds.org and the other sites looking for how to do this. Our Bishop told us that this is not done that often anymore, but it still happens at times. Does anyone know the protocol? I'm not sure what ordinance this falls under - Special Blessing of Comfort perhaps?

My husband and I just purchased a new home and would like to have a blessing on the home prior to moving in. I have searched lds.org and the other sites looking for how to do this. Our Bishop told us that this is not done that often anymore, but it still happens at times. Does anyone know the protocol? I'm not sure what ordinance this falls under - Special Blessing of Comfort perhaps?

Are you kidding???????? Please have another talk with you bishop and ask him why there are home teacher in you ward? Are they not instructed to "leave a blessing on the home" to anyone that will receive them?

You might also think about "dedicating" your home. The practice of dedication is done with every building the Church owns. Dedicating a home is done in much the same way a temple or ward meeting house is dedicated.

The Traveler

LDS.org - Family Chapter Detail - Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings

9. Dedicating or blessing the home

"Since the most important work we do is done at home, it seems appropriate for a father to invoke a blessing on the home. The First Presidency has advised that homes not be formally dedicated until they are free from debt. A rented home or apartment could have a blessing pronounced on it, though. Since our home is not yet paid for, we invoked, in the privacy of our family, the blessings of heaven on our home and on all that pertains to it."

Thanks Ben - this info is most helpful. At least I have somewhere to start.

Thanks to everyone else for their help as well. I had already looked at the "Priesthood Ordinances and Blessing" and as it mentions how to perform a blessing it isn't specific in Blessings on a new home. I will check our library at the Ward Building to see if they have the old manual to see what is there.

• 7 months later...

9. Dedicating or blessing the home

"The First Presidency has advised that homes not be formally dedicated until they are free from debt. A rented home or apartment could have a blessing pronounced on it, though. Since our home is not yet paid for, we invoked, in the privacy of our family, the blessings of heaven on our home and on all that pertains to it."

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Bless This House

As mentioned in the article that I am trying to link to (we'll see how it works) the counsel has changed; members are now told they may dedicate their homes whether or not they are fully debt-free on the house.

Dedicating or blessing your home is done through a simple prayer addressed to Heavenly Father. There is no protocol. It is not a priesthood ordinance. Any person can pray and ask Heavenly Father to bless/dedicate the home.

Regards,

Finrock

Good point. Also, years from now when sprucing up the woodwork, use lindseed rather than olive oil - works better and saves a bundle.

• 1 year later...

20.11 Dedicating Homes

Church members may dedicate their homes as sacred edifices where the Holy Spirit can reside and where family members can worship, find safety from the world, grow spiritually, and prepare for eternal family relationships. Homes need not be free of debt to be dedicated. Unlike Church buildings, homes are not consecrated to the Lord.

A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate a home by the power of the priesthood. If there is not a Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the home, a family might invite a close relative, a home teacher, or another Melchizedek Priesthood holder to dedicate the home. Or a family might gather and offer a prayer that includes the elements mentioned in the preceding paragraph and other words as the Spirit directs.

Another point, one need not be a priesthood holder to invite the spirit into their home. Anyone can ask, through prayer, for a blessing from Heavenly Father to rest upon their home.

This means kids going off to college, single mothers, etc. can perform this as an ordinary personal prayer.

I even prayed for a blessing on the truck I was driving as well as the trailer and contents I was hauling when I was an active truck driver. I always had good trips (with frustrating moments, to be sure) but I never felt in danger, nor did I even worry about it. I practiced good driving habits, and the Lord seemed to keep the accidents away from me. I went through several of them after the fact as it was.

• 8 months later...

See church handbook 2 for instructions, 20.11

20.11 Dedicating Homes

Church members may dedicate their homes as sacred edifices where the Holy Spirit can reside and where family members can worship, find safety from the world, grow spiritually, and prepare for eternal family relationships. Homes need not be free of debt to be dedicated. Unlike Church buildings, homes are not consecrated to the Lord.

A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate a home by the power of the priesthood. If there is not a Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the home, a family might invite a close relative, a home teacher, or another Melchizedek Priesthood holder to dedicate the home. Or a family might gather and offer a prayer that includes the elements mentioned in the preceding paragraph and other words as the Spirit directs. (Handbook 2: Administering the Church, 20. Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings)

Deuteronomy 6:1-25 

When you dwell within, embracing righteousness: your house IS a blessed house. Do not invite the spirit of contention, but rebuke it, not by your own power, but ask it of our Father, His Son, and the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 5:6 

Love your neighbor, even if your enemy; pray for them, not simply for your own wants and desires. The Father already knows and seeks to provide; for you to pursue.

Building Your Eternal Home - general-conference

Contradictions within shake foundations, even so much as to eventually break them. When we cast aside, we find our houses of flesh, spirit, and beams as they should be: A house of prayer; a house of fasting; a house of faith; a house of learning; a house of glory--a house of God.

Love,

T.J. Wood

“God does hear and answer prayers. I have never doubted that fact. From childhood, at my mother's knee where I first learned to pray; as a young man in my teens; as a missionary in foreign lands; as a father; as a Church leader; as a government official, I know without question that it is possible for men and women to reach out in humility and prayer and tap that Unseen Power; to have prayers answered. Man does not stand alone, or, at least, he need not stand alone. Prayer will open doors; prayer will remove barriers; prayer will ease pressures; prayer will give inner peace and comfort during times of strain and stress and difficult--Thank God for prayer.” - Ezra Taft Benson

• 5 months later...

I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the wording of the general handbook concerning dedicating of homes. It says that "A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate

a home by the power of the priesthood." In all other Priesthood blessings/dedications the handbook says that the person giving the blessing/dedication "States that he is acting by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood."

I was curios why this distinction was made in the general handbook. In Preach My Gospel chapter one it talks a lot about how it is your calling that gives you authority but keeping covenants is what gives you power.

I believe that using the term "authority" is in regards to ordinances.

The blessing and dedication of a home is not a priesthood ordinance, but is a prayer where one speaks "by the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood which I hold".

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings?lang=eng#2011

20.11 Dedicating Homes

A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate a home by the power of the priesthood. If there is not a Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the home, a family might invite a close relative, a home teacher, or another Melchizedek Priesthood holder to dedicate the home. Or a family might gather and offer a prayer that includes the elements mentioned in the preceding paragraph and other words as the Spirit directs.

Not done often any more? It was part of the quarterly challenge from our Stake President that everyone bless their home. It is not a priesthood ordinance however, anyone may do it.

• 10 years later...
On 4/5/2010 at 8:24 PM, Finrock said:

Dedicating or blessing your home is done through a simple prayer addressed to Heavenly Father. There is no protocol. It is not a priesthood ordinance. Any person can pray and ask Heavenly Father to bless/dedicate the home.

Regards,

Finrock

I’m amazed at all of these answers. The information for dedicating the home has always been in the handbook and is a priesthood ordinance, though if no priesthood holder is available you can pray as a family to dedicate the home. 

On 10/4/2012 at 11:18 AM, skippy740 said:

I believe that using the term "authority" is in regards to ordinances.

The blessing and dedication of a home is not a priesthood ordinance, but is a prayer where one speaks "by the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood which I hold".

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings?lang=eng#2011

As it says in the handbook, it is a priesthood ordinance but if no Melchizedek priesthood holder is present you can still dedicate the home, just not through the authority of the priesthood. It shouldn’t change the efficacy of the dedication. 

On 10/4/2012 at 11:10 AM, pdavis24 said:

I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the wording of the general handbook concerning dedicating of homes. It says that "A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate

a home by the power of the priesthood." In all other Priesthood blessings/dedications the handbook says that the person giving the blessing/dedication "States that he is acting by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood."

I was curios why this distinction was made in the general handbook. In Preach My Gospel chapter one it talks a lot about how it is your calling that gives you authority but keeping covenants is what gives you power.

Many scriptures talk about power and authority. Sometimes it is the same thing and many people use power and authority interchangeably. However, some people point out that all of these ordinances are done through the authority of the priesthood and the power comes from the faith of the individual and from God. 

On 3/14/2023 at 8:00 AM, superadamal said:

I’m amazed at all of these answers. The information for dedicating the home has always been in the handbook and is a priesthood ordinance, though if no priesthood holder is available you can pray as a family to dedicate the home. 

For context, previous versions of the Handbook omit the step that states the authority of the priesthood. Because of this it was assumed that it was not, strictly speaking, a priesthood ordinance. The current version of the Handbook includes this step and specifies that it is done by a Melchizedek priesthood holder.