The law of the gospel

joheri

On 9/8/2009 at 4:08 PM, joheri said:

When talking about the gospel one cannot escape talking about God's laws. For instance, we have the law of sacrifice, the law of obedience and the law of consecration. There are other laws as well, but one in particullar has caught my mind lately. The law of the gospel.

Can anyone explain to me what that is? Remeber, it is not the lawS of the gospel but the LAW of the gospel (singular).

We covenant to live the law of the gospel. The law of the gospel embraces all laws, principles, and ordinances necessary for our exaltation. We agree to exercise faith in Jesus Christ and sincere repentance borne out of a broken heart and a contrite spirit. As we comply with the ordinances of baptism and confirmation, and continue in faith and prayer, the power of the Savior's atoning sacrifice covers our sins and we are cleansed from all unrighteousness.

Now, this is the commandment: "Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day. Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel." (3 Nephi 27:20-21.)

The law of the gospel is more than understanding the plan of salvation. It consists of partaking of the ordinances and the sealing powers culminating in a man being sealed up unto eternal life. "Being born again," said the Prophet Joseph Smith, "comes by the spirit of God through ordinances" (Teachings, p. 162). [Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.337]