What's wrong with people??

bytor2112

mmmmmm. Twice in my lifetime I have personally been in the middle of an "international" news event that was filmed and covered extensively in the media (several so called independent sources). In both cases by time the media put it up on the 5 o’clock news not only was the coverage inaccurate and misleading; it was absolutely wrong. In one case the hero that saved lives was edited to appear to be a cruel, violent and evil instigator of it all while the real instigator was made out to be the innocent victim

The Traveler

Not in this case.

mmmmmm. Twice in my lifetime I have personally been in the middle of an "international" news event that was filmed and covered extensively in the media (several so called independent sources). In both cases by time the media put it up on the 5 o’clock news not only was the coverage inaccurate and misleading; it was absolutely wrong. In one case the hero that saved lives was edited to appear to be a cruel, violent and evil instigator of it all while the real instigator was made out to be the innocent victim

The Traveler

You saw spider-man?!?!?!?!

Not in this case.

I think so....especially since the police believed he jumped the gun on calling this race related. I watched the video personally two or three times. The first was what was shown through a lot of media....which was the grainier version that's shown in still shot on the front page of this photo of the event. It looked like a bunch of black kids circling around and getting a good cheer at the white kid's expense. In the clearer version the kid's reactions (and interractions), could be seen far better and this is so not a racial thing. Here are my reasons why:

1. The kids are intermixed from the back to the front of the bus. There's no clear seperation of a black side or white side of the bus expected in an environment that's supposedly racially tense

2. The fight started over a backpack the one kid placed to the floor so that he could sit down. Unless that backpack had some racist words against white people, I really doubt that was a motivator. The other kid litterally did just want to fight. The one kid got to be the center of attention, why couldn't he? sort of attitude

3. The audience watching and cheering was racially intermixed. There are around 3-5 white kids watching and enjoying the fight. One moved closer when he felt the fight coming on to get a ring side seat. 2 were sitting right behind and to the opposite side of the victim. One was in the back nonchalantly watching. None of them step in to break up the fight or help their comrad in supposed racial arms (very common reaction if this was actually racially motivated). And one that can be seen clearly throughout the tape is grinning ear to ear.

4. When the fight is broken up, it is by other black bus riders. One at the end, pushes the one fighter away when the fighter goes for his praising high-fives and then stands protectively in front of the victim to make sure it doesn't happen again.

This isn't race related. This isn't even close to race related. This is another petty teen fight that broke out over another petty teen issue. They happen all the time. When I was in junior high and high school, I saw plenty of them, in schools of various credentials and standings. Some were over relationships, some as dumb as this or crossing some macho territorial line in behavior, a couple were even in part staged. One specifically I remember, was just a staged fight at the end of the year by two boys, just because they really wanted to do the fight thing once. They're not animals. They're teens....which does place them in the mildly crazy category.

I don't think they should be punished to the fullest (or even semi-fullest) extent of the law, because I've never seen that actually work to fix a kid. Community service isn't a bad idea, though. As is suspensions...not expulsions so much.

I do think the bus driver needs a serious repremending and possible suspension. If there's something that serious going on on the bus, you stop. Stopping in and of itself will usually shut the kids up and stop any action. The kids aren't looking for trouble in the authoritative sense. If there's a possible action actually hanging over their immediate heads, they'll stop.

With luv,

BD

I think so....especially since the police believed he jumped the gun on calling this race related. I watched the video personally two or three times. The first was what was shown through a lot of media....which was the grainier version that's shown in still shot on the front page of this photo of the event. It looked like a bunch of black kids circling around and getting a good cheer at the white kid's expense. In the clearer version the kid's reactions (and interractions), could be seen far better and this is so not a racial thing. Here are my reasons why:

I was talking about a different situation. :)

Not in this case.