If I came into your home....

and looked around, would I know you were LDS???

I do homecare and I am in and out of homes for the past 20 years. When I enter a home, I look around and I can usually guess their religion by what is hanging up, what is laying around etc. I love that part of my job. I get to learn so much about people and cultures. Most times I can guess their religion from their clothing but that is a different post. ;) It's just so interesting how religion influences the way you decorate and keep your home.

Anyway,

I was thinking about it the other night and to my knowledge, I've never been in a LDS home. (This is not a large LDS area).

I was wondering, do you have things in your home that would let someone know what your faith is?

If you came in my home, you would immediately know that I'm Protestant. I have crosses (not crucifixes) hanging. I have a lot of Bible verses and little sayings up on the walls. There are Bibles everywhere. (I tend to misplace things so I have a lot of the same things, when I loose one, I find another). If you glanced at my bookshelf, you'd fine a lot of religious books.

What is in your home that reveals your faith?

Edited by Lilac

Lilac, if you entered my home and knew the things to look for it is very obvious this is an LDS home. There is the Proclamation on the Family near the entrance. A Christis over the fireplace. Pictures of temples on the wall. Lots of LDS books on the bookshelf.

I am in two or three different homes a day and it is easy to tell which ones are LDS. It is often easy to tell which other homes are Christian too.

Ben Raines

first thing you see when you walk through the door is a print titled 'be not afraid' (lol never considered the title before on that one) http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/images/be-not-afraid.jpg

you pass a bookshelf that is filled with very lds books on them, by or about various prophets and such. hubby's collection.... i might read some one day. lol

in the living room there are pictures of our family, a picture of the nauvoo temple, a picture of the sacred grove, over the mantel is a picture of christ titled fishers of men http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CzVTlrqIGIw/R59r3gD0DkI/AAAAAAAAAA8/jFZ2RnO1Jgk/S600/Fishers+of+Men.bmp , a christus statue above the fire place with some pics of the family and a couple of wedding pics. another wall has a pic of some elephants referenceing my husband's college football preference.

dining room has a pic of christ and another elephant pic. kitchen i guess is more 'mine' it's got some quotes and things i want to remember. some assorted pics with sayings on them that were given to me, i like them but not necessarily something i would have purchased myself.

i guess it would be pretty obvious we are lds.

Well, in my living room there is a distinct Asian theme, but the Proclamation on the Family and The Living Christ are hung in the dining area; there are pictures of Christ in the main bedroom; and there are framed Bible verses in my daughter's room, sooo there you go.

Of course, if you expect all Mormons to have a dozen kids, you probably would guess I'm from some weird off shoot sect, as we only have one.

Well, to tell you the truth if you walked into my house today you might think you had entered a war zone of sorts. My kids and their friends have been here and clearly their job charts don't mean as much to them as they do to me. (grumble grumble as I clean up yet again.):lol:

There are lots of people in the LDS church who tend to decorate their homes with lots of symbols or representations of their faith. Some look like the show room of Deseret Book. I am not necessarily one of them. I do have a large picture of Christ in my living room but other than that I prefer to decorate according to my taste and lots of cheesy mugs of my kids. I hope though that our home is a place that feels like the Spirit of the Lord dwells inside. I hope it feels safe and comfortable to friends and family. I want all of our guests, especially children to feel welcome, even if we do have gogurts stashed under and in interesting places. :)

Well, I don't think people would have a problem figuring out my family is LDS. We have pictures of the first presidency prominently diplayed in our entry way as well as the Proclamation on the Family. On the ceiling it says "families can be together forever." We also have pictures of various temples in almost every room of our house and pictures of Joseph Smith.

I try to only have LDS reading material on our coffee table. Usually the last 3 issues of the Ensign are right there too.

Lilac, if you entered my home and knew the things to look for it is very obvious this is an LDS home. There is the Proclamation on the Family near the entrance. A Christis over the fireplace. Pictures of temples on the wall. Lots of LDS books on the bookshelf.

I am in two or three different homes a day and it is easy to tell which ones are LDS. It is often easy to tell which other homes are Christian too.

Ben Raines

Ben, in my last calling, I had met a young man who manufactures the Christis [i also have version in my sitting room]. The amount of talent this family has and the work they do for the church is immense. He asked for a blessing and in his blessing, it was stated, he would be here to work on the statues for the 12-temples located in the New Jerusalem.

I am a new member but have tried to add things to my home to invite the spirit. I have the Family Proclamation and The Living Christ over my kitchen sink! I read them daily as i mindlessly scrub my dishes lol. I also have a picture of the Sacred Grove in my living room that says "What happened here changed the World, Let it chnage your life" That was a gift from a friend at my baptism I had seen the same one on her wall and admired it. Also there is alot of Catholicish stuff. I still have a crucifix over my bed and one over my front door. Those are family heirlooms and will be staying though!

Proclamation of the family, pictures of christ and the temple. Actually a piece of the temple stonework that was removed due to an imperfection also. Tennis shoes among the Nephities, Mormon bathroom reader, 600 copies of Ensign, Friend, New Era, 8 Books of Mormon, 50+ manuals, 30 or so other lds books, 15 church video, 8 movies like Single Ward, RM, Best 2 years etc. 1 or 2 per week 4 Missionaries in our yard. Someone leaving or returning from a church program, meeting, class, home or visit teaching, service project almost daily.

My home is very simple. My livingroom has an "antique" theme to it. Kind of centered around a picture of my great great grandfather (in the original frame). I do have a beautiful picture of Christ on my livingroom wall by Liz Lemon Swindle. There are a couple of items of art by Walter Rane I am just dying to have.

Plus my favorite poem is "The Touch of the Master's Hand." I have this professionally mounted and framed with a small violin in it on my livingroom wall as well as a book of it as well on my "hot chocolate" table. I also have a book on my table with the artwork by Mark Mabry.

I also have a framed picture of the San Diego Temple. Other then the usual LDS related books on my bookshelf..that's pretty much it.

Edited by pam
Noticed a misspelled word

You could not tell that we are LDS by the inside of our home.

Having said this. My husband has been inactive for over 25 years and doesn't consider himself a member of the Church. And I've been inactive for about 10 years and up until recently, I hadn't considered myself a member either. So our home definitely lacks in that perspective. But our fridge is decorated with Christmas cards and such from family and friends, which I would think, gives away that we are at least "Christian".

Doubt you could tell in my living room unless you really looked. I have a bunch of LDS book on the book case. The kids room though has three shelves of pictures, family pics (mostly my hubby and the kids... hint hint hubby) and Jesus and temples and the first presidency. There are lots of quads around the house, about 5... so I don't loose them (I pick them up at flea markets). My house isn't very nicely decorated though. I'm not very good at that kind of stuff. I'd love to do a Moroccan theme, with less clutter (my hubby is a collector) and lots of bright colors. Maybe someday?

If you came in my home, you would immediately know that I'm Protestant.

I was going to say that I probably wouldn't, not being overly familiar with just what a Protestant decorates their house with compared to a Catholic (Bible quotes, paintings of the Savior and the like) but then I thought back to some of the very Catholic homes I encountered on my mission, if nothing else statues of the Virgin Mary would be one difference. I tend to associate the paintings with halos as Catholic (don't know if Protestant art trends do that).

I was wondering, do you have things in your home that would let someone know what your faith is?

Well, I don't have my own home, but the pictures of Temples would probably give it away that it was LDS, heck considering we have some of our own artists and some iconic peices you might be able to know I was an LDS home based on just what particular paintings of Christ were on the walls absent any temples. I also have a portrait of Joseph Smith that if you were familiar with would be a dead giveaway. I could just see it now, "Is that your great grandpa's portrait?"* Also, some days scriptures get left on the end tables or coffee table and that would probably be a give away. Oh and before I forget is the Christus from the Visitor Center in Temple Square iconic enough to be a give away? Or is it not distinct enough or to esoteric for that?

Once upon a time I would have said you'd know because of the presence of the Spirit, but my mission opened my eyes in that regard, we don't have a monopoly on that.

*Well, you'd know it wasn't because its a print not an actual painting but its a funny thought.

Edited by Dravin

As soon as you walked into our home you would see a picture of Christ. Then on the wall at top of stairs is a scripture from Old Testament, found in Joshua 24:15....choose ye this day whom ye will serve...as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

Then you would see proclamation on the family and other pictures and all the Books.

and looked around, would I know you were LDS???

I do homecare and I am in and out of homes for the past 20 years. When I enter a home, I look around and I can usually guess their religion by what is hanging up, what is laying around etc. I love that part of my job. I get to learn so much about people and cultures. Most times I can guess their religion from their clothing but that is a different post. ;) It's just so interesting how religion influences the way you decorate and keep your home.

Anyway,

I was thinking about it the other night and to my knowledge, I've never been in a LDS home. (This is not a large LDS area).

If you came in my home, you would immediately know that I'm Protestant. I have crosses (not crucifixes) hanging. I have a lot of Bible verses and little sayings up on the walls. There are Bibles everywhere. (I tend to misplace things so I have a lot of the same things, when I loose one, I find another). If you glanced at my bookshelf, you'd fine a lot of religious books.

What is in your home that reveals your faith?

Well after seeing the picture of the first presidency on the wall one can see nothing else but good clean moral pics and all else; the entire environment in our home is driven by the spirit.:)

So, what do you think if they have no religious symbols whatsoever?

Elphaba, the atheist :P

Honestly I probably wouldn't assume atheist. I don't really see an atheist going through the trouble of 'religioning up' their house (though a theme of differing religious buildings or symbols could be a cool one), so if I saw them I'd probably assume belief of one kind or another. The reverse however, some people just don't decorate or they don't use a religious theme, other than my scriptures and a few books I don't think I've ever bought anything that would make any house I own scream religion, the prints of Joseph Smith and O' Jerusalem were gifts.

Honestly I don't think I pay much attention, unless its reaching out and smacking me upside the head or I spend a lot of time there I'll probably not notice either way. I'm sure I've seen plenty of houses lacking religious symbols or with a paucity (compared to some homes I've seen) and not taken note of it. Weird how the mind works.