#21 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 12976 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Lets see...

Tortilla chips w/ salsa, pop tarts, snicker doodles and candy corn.

You work with what you've got on hand, we went to my Sisters to watch it. If we'd stayed home I may have been tempted to make lemon squares.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#22 changed

changed

• Members
  • 2447 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

Now I have a stomach ache – too much junk food!!!! Next conference, carrot sticks and fresh fruit for me ;).
1 Cor 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, ...we shall be changed.

#23 sixpacktr

sixpacktr

• Registered Users
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

Why would you eat during conference sessions? I know that you are at home, but would you have snack foods if it was held at the chapel instead of on tv?

Wait, don't answer that....
That would not be difficult to express. I found most helpful to me was going to my knees thanking my HF for life, for experience, for my family, and then directly asking him to go before my face, to be on my right hand, to be on my left hand, and his spirit in my heart, and his angels round about me to bear me up. --Thomas S. Monson, Feb 4 2008 News conference upon becoming President of the LDS church.

Hard work won’t kill you, but why take the chance??
---Motto of the Democrat Party

#24 Jenamarie

Jenamarie

I am glad for many things.

• Members
  • 2205 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

Why would you eat during conference sessions? I know that you are at home, but would you have snack foods if it was held at the chapel instead of on tv?

Wait, don't answer that....

Our snacks are mostly eaten inbetween sessions. 2 hours may seem like plenty of time to prepare a meal, but when you have several people to feed (as we often try to get together with friends to watch) by the time you're done with the prep work and served it out, you only have a few minutes to eat before the next session starts, so there's a little (reverent ;) ) overlap, since we try to finish our food as quietly as possible.

In my family growing up, General Conference was almost a mini-Thanksgiving (or Easter for April ^_^ ). Deviled eggs, cresent rolls, deli platters, etc.

One of my favorite Conference memories from my childhood is being in my grandma's kitchen, helping her and my aunt clean up from the luncheon, when the next session started (we hadn't heard it start over the sound of the running faucet) and someone called out "Prayer!" The water went off, my aunt froze where she was putting leftovers in the fridge, and all the smaller kids in the playroom dropped their toys and folded their arms. The house went from a loud din of activity, to complete silence in a matter of seconds. When the prayer was done we all quickly finished what we were doing and gathered around the big screen in the living room. The small children might still be playing with smaller toys, but when one of the adults said "The Prophet is speaking now, kids" the toys all went away.

THAT is General Conference for me.
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

#25 Guest_Alana_*

Guest_Alana_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

I had some awesome chicken enchiladas and some banana rice pudding.... then I go to sit down and watch and my husband decides no watching conference for me. So I ate my food by myself crying while he played video games.

Not the best story, I know.

#26 sixpacktr

sixpacktr

• Registered Users
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

I had some awesome chicken enchiladas and some banana rice pudding.... then I go to sit down and watch and my husband decides no watching conference for me. So I ate my food by myself crying while he played video games.

Not the best story, I know.

Yikes, how sad is that!

Next time, watch on the internet. It is fed live by BYUTV online. We have resorted to that from time to time when the weather doesn't cooperate and makes our satellite go awry.
That would not be difficult to express. I found most helpful to me was going to my knees thanking my HF for life, for experience, for my family, and then directly asking him to go before my face, to be on my right hand, to be on my left hand, and his spirit in my heart, and his angels round about me to bear me up. --Thomas S. Monson, Feb 4 2008 News conference upon becoming President of the LDS church.

#27 Guest_Alana_*

Guest_Alana_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

Yikes, how sad is that!

Next time, watch on the internet. It is fed live by BYUTV online. We have resorted to that from time to time when the weather doesn't cooperate and makes our satellite go awry.

It was internet, we don't have cable tv. We talked about it later, he apologized. He said he doesn't like it when I try to push church stuff on him. I told him to stop trying to read my mind because he was doing a horrible job at it. It had nothing to do with him, it had to do with me. It was a dumb situation all around.

#28 sixpacktr

sixpacktr

• Registered Users
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:14 AM

If you have time, go to BYUTV. You can watch conference in its entirety even now (BYUTV lets you watch the shows up to 2 weeks later).

8 hours may be hard now, but the opening session on Saturday is a MUST see for everyone. EVERY talk was great (not that the others on the other days weren't, but I was so impressed with the talks in Sat morn's session).

#29 Bini

Bini

xoxo

• Members
  • 5580 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

I didn't watch it. But when I have I don't recall snacking on stuff. That doesn't mean it didn't happen though. :D

No more dancing candy cane - hurrah!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq