Help! Need Ward Activity Ideas

Guest luv9kids

Guest luv9kids

Hi, this is my first time in this chat room. I was just put in as ward activities chairman and l need some some new ideas. I am looking for the best ward activities that you have ever been to in your ward. (Or heard about). I am desperate for anything. I am looking currently for Christmas ideas but would love any information for any time of the year. Thanks so much.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by luv9kids@Oct 3 2005, 07:55 PM

Hi, this is my first time in this chat room.  I was just put in as ward activities chairman and l need some some new ideas.  I am looking for the best ward activities that you have ever been to in your ward. (Or heard about).  I am desperate for anything.  I am looking currently for Christmas ideas but would love any information for any time of the year.  Thanks so much.

Dinner and movie combo... is fun... put the kids in one area and parents in another with appropiate supervision on the youth...

like a date night with baby sitters... at every level and age... it doesn't cost a lot... but you need to have co-operation with all the youth and leaders...

We did a "Night at Bethlehem" themed Christmas party in our ward a couple of years ago. Everyone dressed up and we decorated the cultural hall like Bethlehem and acted out the Nativity. For the kids, we had the bishopric dressed like the 3 wisemen to give out gifts since we didn't feel like it would be in keeping with the tone we wanted to set to have Santa Claus show up. It was a lot of work, but turned out wonderfully and everybody had a great time. I think I still have Nativity scripts and all the decoration ideas saved somewhere....if you're interested, I'll dig them up!

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 09:58 PM

We did a "Night at Bethlehem" themed Christmas party in our ward a couple of years ago.  Everyone dressed up and we decorated the cultural hall like Bethlehem and acted out the Nativity.  For the kids, we had the bishopric dressed like the 3 wisemen to give out gifts since we didn't feel like it would be in keeping with the tone we wanted to set to have Santa Claus show up.  It was a lot of work, but turned out wonderfully and everybody had a great time.  I think I still have Nativity scripts and all the decoration ideas saved somewhere....if you're interested, I'll dig them up!

daizymae,

I'm intersted! :D

TXRed

The Amazing Race

Families do a cross between a scavenger hunt with the Amazing race.

Clues as to the next country with challenges though out.

Like making a salad that is from the country they are in. Greek = Greece and so on, others make other dishes all to be eaten at the end of the Race. (Refreshments)

I have done this with the Base Families were I live. We also had a med tent so teddy bears and other stuffed Animals could receive medical treatment for small tares; they go home in field dressing. The kids love that.

I use to do special events on the base.

Halloween can be a family dance using Halloween music like the monster mash and so on.

Families can also do an emergency properness (sp) (Sorry head cold)

They can learn how to make a 72 hour kit with a list provided before the activity. They can then make it that night.

Hygiene kits and so on all of these lists can be found on the church web site.

Asking families to save their news papers, not colored flyers new print.

From that they can learn to roll an emergency fuel supplely by making news print logs and then dipping them in a tub filled with dish soap and water then setting them on end against the curb parking lot to dry. This is a none combustible fuel that is safer to store then others.

Families can also make those soup mixes in jars (there are 100’s of those) check out the internet for ideas.

I have done swine Olympics.

Dividing in to groups and hold a swine based Olympics. Each group must come up with a name of their country like (Swinenova) their are given a time limit for name and making of a flag (old sheets work good) the opening ceremonies can be fun by giving them a instruments made out of things around the house. They have to sing and display there flag and introduces their country’s name. All countries must sing their own version of the song “Be king to your fathered friends a duck maybe somebody’s mother” adding their name.

The games include mud rolling, that is rolling a marshmallow down a table though plates chocolate pudding and back again, using only your nose. (Timed race)

Trough eating is hands behind your back sucking Jell-O off paper plats (Timed race)

That is safer then cereal that can be sucked up your noise. (Don’t use that)

Hot piggy is a game were you use a large plastic piggy bank (dollar store) fill it with something to make it some what heavy (I used pennies tap in closed) the weight needs to shift around, members of the teams wear oven mitts and play hot potato with the piggy to music.

Slippery pig contest can be done by groups chasing down primary children and putting them in a peg (roped off chairs) this is a lot of fun for the younger children they always slip under the ropes and the chance is on again. Each country is given a point for each piglet placed in the pen. (Timed race)

The cercal of swine each group has a person sit in the cercal each person puts on a rubber pig nose (Costume supply store) and turns to the person next to them and makes pig sounds. If that person laughs or giggles there out.

The harvest game Using a broom sticks groups must retrieve plastic food like fake fruit out of a basket and like floor hockey get it across the gym floor and into another basket.

I first used large candy bars and the group had to unwrap it with the sticks but enthusiasm got the better of them and candy was every were!

Finley Hog calling, have a microphone for this. I found out a group of young women go all out for this and always win. Young men have a un-cool attitude and can’t seem to call loud enough to win.

All games are judged by appointed by the bishop.

Mind you can lose points for members not participating, such a youth who see this as un-cool. Does not happen much,

Older ward members have fun just watching and cheering them on.

I used this as a young women’s president for a mutual activity and made a trophy out of a wooden cutting board with a large piggy bank glued to it. A row of engraved plats named the winning team every year. It was awarded by the bishop the next sacrament meeting.

If this was done on a fast Sunday the youth were among the members with testimonies of the youth programs. By the 2nd year we set up bleachers for the families and older member to watch from. It turned it to an on going activity and they loved it.

I have since then moved away but hear it is still on going.

I am not myself today but those are a few ideas. :hmmm:

Guest luv9kids

Originally posted by daizymae@Oct 3 2005, 08:58 PM

We did a "Night at Bethlehem" themed Christmas party in our ward a couple of years ago.  Everyone dressed up and we decorated the cultural hall like Bethlehem and acted out the Nativity.  For the kids, we had the bishopric dressed like the 3 wisemen to give out gifts since we didn't feel like it would be in keeping with the tone we wanted to set to have Santa Claus show up.  It was a lot of work, but turned out wonderfully and everybody had a great time.  I think I still have Nativity scripts and all the decoration ideas saved somewhere....if you're interested, I'll dig them up!

That would be so great. I already have my sister sending something like that but I wanted the 3 wisemen and they didn't have that. I don't know how to do this since this is actually my first posting in a chat room...ever. Please let me know. I would love to have the information if it is not too much trouble. Thanks so much!!!

Guest luv9kids

Originally posted by Winnie G@Oct 4 2005, 09:39 AM

The Amazing Race

Families do a cross between a scavenger hunt with the Amazing race.

Clues as to the next country with challenges though out.

Like making a salad that is from the country they are in. Greek = Greece and so on, others make other dishes all to be eaten at the end of the Race. (Refreshments)

I have done this with the Base Families were I live. We also had a med tent so teddy bears and other stuffed Animals could receive medical treatment for small tares; they go home in field dressing. The kids love that.

I use to do special events on the base.

Halloween can be a family dance using Halloween music like the monster mash and so on.

Families can also do an emergency properness (sp) (Sorry head cold)

They can learn how to make a 72 hour kit with a list provided before the activity. They can then make it that night.

Hygiene kits and so on all of these lists can be found on the church web site.

Asking families to save their news papers, not colored flyers new print.

From that they can learn to roll an emergency fuel supplely by making news print logs and then dipping them in a tub filled with dish soap and water then setting them on end against the curb parking lot to dry. This is a none combustible fuel that is safer to store then others.

Families can also make those soup mixes in jars (there are 100’s of those) check out the internet for ideas.

I have done swine Olympics.

Dividing in to groups and hold a swine based Olympics. Each group must come up with a name of their country like (Swinenova) their are given a time limit for name and making of a flag (old sheets work good) the opening ceremonies can be fun by giving them a instruments made out of things around the house. They have to sing and display there flag and introduces their country’s name. All countries must sing their own version of the song “Be king to your fathered friends a duck maybe somebody’s mother” adding their name.

The games include mud rolling, that is rolling a marshmallow down a table though plates chocolate pudding and back again, using only your nose. (Timed race)

Trough eating is hands behind your back sucking Jell-O off paper plats (Timed race)

That is safer then cereal that can be sucked up your noise. (Don’t use that)

Hot piggy is a game were you use a large plastic piggy bank (dollar store) fill it with something to make it some what heavy (I used pennies tap in closed) the weight needs to shift around, members of the teams wear oven mitts and play hot potato with the piggy to music.

Slippery pig contest can be done by groups chasing down primary children and putting them in a peg (roped off chairs) this is a lot of fun for the younger children they always slip under the ropes and the chance is on again. Each country is given a point for each piglet placed in the pen. (Timed race)

The cercal of swine each group has a person sit in the cercal each person puts on a rubber pig nose (Costume supply store) and turns to the person next to them and makes pig sounds. If that person laughs or giggles there out.

The harvest game Using a broom sticks groups must retrieve plastic food like fake fruit out of a basket and like floor hockey get it across the gym floor and into another basket.

I first used large candy bars and the group had to unwrap it with the sticks but enthusiasm got the better of them and candy was every were!

Finley Hog calling, have a microphone for this. I found out a group of young women go all out for this and always win. Young men have a un-cool attitude and can’t seem to call loud enough to win.

All games are judged by appointed by the bishop.

Mind you can lose points for members not participating, such a youth who see this as un-cool. Does not happen much,

Older ward members have fun just watching and cheering them on.

I used this as a young women’s president for a mutual activity and made a trophy out of a wooden cutting board with a large piggy bank glued to it. A row of engraved plats named the winning team every year. It was awarded by the bishop the next sacrament meeting.

If this was done on a fast Sunday the youth were among the members with testimonies of the youth programs. By the 2nd year we set up bleachers for the families and older member to watch from. It turned it to an on going activity and they loved it.

I have since then moved away but hear it is still on going.

I am not myself today but those are a few ideas. :hmmm:

Wow! What great ideas. I see some of them working much better for the youth but I think I can make a lot of these work. Thanks so much.

We did the nativity one too. They set up different areas all around the gym and we had to go to each one for different things, such as getting authentic food to eat. We were all dressed in that time period as well. (robes and towels.) Fun idea. I remember the food was terrible. :)

• 3 years later...

I also am doing the Journey to Bethlehem for our ward. I contacted another ward to share the actors/decorations, nativity scene, set-up, etc. We are meeting separately - the other ward is doing their JTB Friday night and we are doing ours Saturday night. We are leaving all the rooms decorated and the nativity scene left in place. Our journey consists of walking to various rooms that have been decorated to represent the innkeeper, 3 wise men, king Herod, angels, shepherds, etc. A little token was passed out at each room i.e. a piece of bread (innkeeper), chocolate coin (king herod) candy cane (shepherds), etc. If you can share this with another ward, it will save you quite a bit of time and money -something most the wards/committees are a little short of:) An artist in our ward will paint a simple Bethlehem city skyline on a large painters drop cloth (purchase at home depot or lowes). This will be the backdrop for the nativity scene.

We are serving a dinner afterwards, we are using foods from that time period. Make your own pita sandwich - chicken, etc. We will also have some sides- hummus, olives, grape juice, nuts etc. Pita sandwiches can be really good - your ward members can serve themselves and make their own pita.

I did this same activity years ago for the primary - they loved it. Everyone came dressed for that era. We had many comments that this should be a ward activity. I'm in another ward and now am the activities chairperson. I have the script if you need it. As far as forums go - can I leave my email address???

Good luck:):o:lol:

Activities are always best that can involve all age groups. I always like the pot lucks. :D

Here is one I wish they would do in my ward: Give each of us a list numbered 1-10. Then have everybody talk to 10 people they do no know very well. They would have to write everyone's name they talked to down on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

My committee is also thinking about doing the Journey through Bethlehem. My bishop is worried that we will overdo things and our efforts will be meaningless. Those that have done this activity before, what things have seemed to work well and what has not? Also, what sorts of things have been used as food? I don't want to go completely Middle Eastern, but I wouldn't mind a pita sandwich and fruit as has been mentioned.

Activities are always best that can involve all age groups. I always like the pot lucks. :D

Here is one I wish they would do in my ward: Give each of us a list numbered 1-10. Then have everybody talk to 10 people they do no know very well. They would have to write everyone's name they talked to down on the list.

I had a ward activity once in which there was a list of things that were true or could be true about several members of the ward. Everyone was given a list of questions such as "Find someone who has traveled to Africa" or "Find someone that was an only child" or "Find someone that served in the military and name the branch". Then we all had to go around and actually TALK to people and find their name to write down (or have them sign the paper so no cheating). It was a lot easier to remember names of new families or people when we knew something about them other than a name. Then, of course, a prize could be awarded for the person or team that was able to find an answer to all the questions.

This questioning activity was combined with a luau and it was an excellent way for everyone to mingle. Even though I was a teenager at the time, I loved it - well maybe that was because a lot of people were asking for my signature because one of the questions was "Find someone with 10 children in their family". Not everyone can claim that one. LOL

• 11 months later...

We did a "Night at Bethlehem" themed Christmas party in our ward a couple of years ago. Everyone dressed up and we decorated the cultural hall like Bethlehem and acted out the Nativity. For the kids, we had the bishopric dressed like the 3 wisemen to give out gifts since we didn't feel like it would be in keeping with the tone we wanted to set to have Santa Claus show up. It was a lot of work, but turned out wonderfully and everybody had a great time. I think I still have Nativity scripts and all the decoration ideas saved somewhere....if you're interested, I'll dig them up!

Can you send my your notes from your activity "Night in Bethlehem"? I see you post was from 2005, so hopefully you still have it saved.

sue

[email protected]

Hi Sue,

I usually only come to the forum when I receive an email. I did not write the script I purchased it in a book for about $8. Last year this link worked- www.brightimpressions.com/product_info.php?products_id=68 But now it doesn't. The script for the Journey to Bethlehem is found in the Primary Activity Days volume 1 by Bright Impressions.

Maybe the company Bright Impressions will let you purchase just the Journey to Bethlehem and download it to you. I'm not sure you are interested in our details but I copied/pasted the email I sent last year to the cast - here it is.

Thank you to everyone for helping with our ward Christmas party. For those who can make it, we are meeting at the church for a quick 30-40 minute run through this Thursday, December 4th at 8:00 p.m.

Everyone is responsible for their own costumes except the 3 wise men (we are borrowing the stake costumes). For those who are singing, please provide your own accompanist or cd music and player. It will probably be best if you only sing one verse of your song. There will be no piano available for the shepherds (we are moving the primary piano to the cultural hall). The rooms/areas where you will be performing -

Mary/Joseph - cultural hall

King Herod - west entrance

Innkeeper - east entrance

Shepherds - primary room

Angels - young womens room

3 wise men - relief society room

You will perform after dinner on Saturday evening (probably around 7:00). The ward members/guests will be divided into 6 groups and each group will journey to see all of you. So you will perform 6 times - bring a water bottle! If you have any questions, please let me know. Please email me to let me know you received this.

Thanks to all of you for helping out. I'm excited to join you on our Journey to Bethlehem....

Suggestions -

Do this with another ward. We shared decorations and the other ward met Friday night and we left everything up and we met Saturday night. It worked great.

We strung white christmas lights across the cultural hall to represent the night sky. Ward members brought blankets to sit on and canned food to pay their taxes. We donated the food to the food bank. Our decorations were very nice with 2 wards helping.

Do you have any questions I could help you with? I'm willing to answer any questions or help in any way. Good luck to you:)

Toni