• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#221 RobertFSmith

RobertFSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

You are right, Mapman. Some of them do make a great deal of difference. Shilum, for example, means "payment, recompense," in Hebrew -- a reasonable term for a monetary or silver-weight designation in Alma 11:16 equivalent to a quarter-measure of barley.

#222 mapman

mapman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

I noticed that from reading Royal Skousen's The Book of Mormon: the Earliest Text that some of the names were different from the official edition. He explained that Joseph would spell out the name out the first time and then not the rest of the times. This meant that names were not always spelled consistently. The official edition has mostly the first spellings, but a few are not. I think this is a complete list of these names:

current spelling - original spelling

Amalekites - Amlicites
Angola - Angolah
Comnor - Comron
Ezias - Ezaias
Ezrom - Ezrum
Gadianton - Gaddianton
Jacobugath - Jacob-Ugath
Jeneum - Joneum
Kishkumen - Kishcumen
Midian - mistakenly put in place of Middoni
Mulek - Muloch
Pahoran - Parhoron
Shiblum - Shilum
Zenock - Zenoch

I don't know a lot about Hebrew, but I'd guess that these differences might make a difference in forming etymologies.

I missed these:

Giddonah - Gidanah
Onidah - Oneidah
Morianton - Morionton
Shiblom - Shiblon

#223 KerryShirts

KerryShirts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Eh, perhaps. But with most of the differences being vowels, it's not a big deal. There were no vowels in Semitic languages......

#224 Guest_rockmanlinux_*

Guest_rockmanlinux_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:04 AM

I haven't read this whole thread, perhaps someone already said this but its said Nephi used a reformed Egyptian (only his family new his language) for writing as its much easier than Hebrew. However, its not mentioned if he just used Egyptian to write it for the Hebrew words. I've been studying both and it seems thats exactly what was done let alone reading this forum thread.

#225 JanSan

JanSan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I guess this is the end.
Sad, I REALLY enjoyed most of these comments and wish that they had continued.
I had a friend who was raised in the Jewish faith, we served in the same mission field.
I was starting to read Jesus the Christ and we talked about it, I took a full sized paper full of notes and I write small, on just the first page!
I would love to be able to talk things through like this with someone who has this kind of knowledge, there is SOOOOOOOOOO much that we can learn from them.
Sorry that I came to late to get in on the action.. but still if anyone is reading this, thanks again for this thread.

#226 stevejames1012

stevejames1012

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

thekabalist I just wanted to reaffirm what many have said. Your service on this forum has not only vindicated (not that my belief and testimony relies on vindication, but it's still cool), but it has enlightened. IMHO, EVERY LDS person who wants to get good in-depth perspective into the BoM should learn of your transliterations.

#227 stevejames1012

stevejames1012

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I would be all about assembling a BoM name Hebrew dictionary.

#228 gmaxx0071

gmaxx0071

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

This is a really interesting topic. I had a German teacher in college who also taught Hebrew. He was looking into Hebrew influence in Europe, like from the scattering of Israel, but I bet he'd have input into this as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq