What does being "Sealed" mean?

One example would be marriage. As you know, civil marriages are considered "till death do us part." Marriages or sealings performed in an LDS temple are considered for time and all eternity. You are "sealing" that couple for eternity.

This would also pertain to any children. Those children born to a couple who have already been sealed to each other are considered to be sealed or as we call it "Born in the covenant (BIC). But for those parents who were sealed after their civil marriage, children can be taken to the temple to be sealed to their parents. This makes their family (if they live worthily) to also be sealed for all eternity.

In answer to your question as to whether you must be of the Mormon faith. Yes. Only those who are worthy and hold a temple recommend (adults) can have these sacred ordinances done in one of our temples.

I will admit Michael, I don't have all the answers as to how everything will work in our next life; but my understanding is we will not be together united as a family if we do not have these sealings or ordinances done.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer their understandings.

Also let me add one thing. We believe one of the requirements to receive the "highest glory" in the celestial kingdom is to be sealed to our spouse. To enter into that sacred covenant.

In answer to your question as to whether you must be of the Mormon faith. Yes. Only those who are worthy and hold a temple recommend (adults) can have these sacred ordinances done in one of our temples.

Should add on this side. There are plenty, of people who have been sealed after death who have never been Mormon.

In fact non Mormons will out number Members because of the ordinances done for the dead.

That's true hordak. I just didn't want to try to explain too much more until we got some of the basics down as he was asking.

But thanks for clarifying that. It's important to know.

Thanks Pam, and if we are not sealed does that mean we will not be together in Heaven?

Personally, I don't think so. We talk about the sealing enabling families to be "together forever", but I think that's a little bit simplistic and, therefore (unintentionally) misleading. The "sealing" means that I continue to be my father's son, and my sister's brother, and my children's father; with all the rights and privileges that those roles would entail.

In this life I interact daily with people who are not part of my family unit; and I've seen no compelling argument--even within Mormonism--that things would be any different in the eternities. Indeed, Joseph Smith himself taught (before the restoration of the sealing ordinance, it is true) that the same sociality that exists here, will exist in the eternities.

In this life I interact daily with people who are not part of my family unit; and I've seen no compelling argument--even within Mormonism--that things would be any different in the eternities. Indeed, Joseph Smith himself taught (before the restoration of the sealing ordinance, it is true) that the same sociality that exists here, will exist in the eternities.

Thanks for bringing this up. I need to research it more, but I was thinking as I read this thread that possibly we would not be able to continue progressing together if we are not sealed, but from what I know of our Heavenly Father, I believe it's not likely that relationships and associations formed here would be completely dissolved. But of course, this is just my own logic/faith based speculation. I'd be interested to know what others have found regarding this topic.

Honor, a start might be D&C 130:1-2. It seems to me that I've read that the section header may not be accurate there, and that some of the teachings in that section actually originate from the 1830s.

Also, there's the Joseph Smith (via Orson F. Whitney) quote that "the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save [not "exalt", necessarily, but "save"--JAG] not only themselves, but likewise their posterity."

It should be pointed out that temple sealings can be performed by proxy to ancestors who have died. so you at any age can be sealed to deceased parents. The idea of genealogy is to find our ancestors, and perform the sealings for them in hopes that as they learn of the gospel in the after life, they can accept the sealings and be part of one eternal family that may potentially include everyone who wants it.

• 2 weeks later...

If children are born to a couple who was "sealed" in the Temple, but the child subsequently left the Mormon faith, what is the fate? Do the parents get to live with that child in one of the three levels of Heaven? Do they still have the parent/child relationship?

Additionally, someone said that sealing is required for the highest kingdom. Where does that leave Jesus? Do Mormons believe He was married?

If children are born to a couple who was "sealed" in the Temple, but the child subsequently left the Mormon faith, what is the fate? Do the parents get to live with that child in one of the three levels of Heaven? Do they still have the parent/child relationship?

Additionally, someone said that sealing is required for the highest kingdom. Where does that leave Jesus? Do Mormons believe He was married?

We don;t know what happens specifically to children who have been sealed to parents and then fall away, but there is comfort from the leaders of the church that righteous parents who raised their children in righteousness will not lose them, but how that is accomplished and what that specifically entails is unknown.

There is no doctrine on the marital status of Jesus, but there is enough evidence that if it were revealed to be true, few Mormons would have an issue with it. Most tend to believe that he was married, and some even believe he may have had plural wives (at least there was strong speculation to that effect by the religious leaders of the 1800s who were promoting polygamy).

• 4 weeks later...

Please explain what being "sealed" means. Is it something that just pertains to blood family members and if so do all members have to be of Mormom faith in order to be sealed? Thanks in advance for any and all guidance and replies.

It means to be bound to something, or somrehting to be made permanent in an eternal manner. Mainly this refers to families so that they can remain families in the eternities.

The Prophet Joseph Smith declared—and he never taught a more comforting doctrine—that the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save not only themselves, but likewise their posterity. Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return.

Joseph Smith

Let the father and mother, who are members of this Church and Kingdom, take a righteous course, and strive with all their might never to do a wrong, but to do good all their lives; if they have one child or one hundred children, if they conduct themselves towards them as they should, binding them to the Lord by their faith and prayers, I care not where those children go, they are bound up to their parents by an everlasting tie, and no power of earth or hell can separate them from their parents in eternity; they will return again to the fountain from whence they sprang

Brigham Young

“If you succeed in passing through these trials and afflictions and receive a resurrection, you will, by the power of the Priesthood, work and labor, as the Son of God has, until you get all your sons and daughters in the path of exaltation and glory. This is just as sure as that the sun rose this morning over yonder mountains. Therefore, mourn not because all your sons and daughters do not follow in the path that you have marked out to them, or give heed to your counsels. Inasmuch as we succeed in securing eternal glory, and stand as saviors, and as kings and priests to our God, we will save our posterity”

Lorenzo Snow

“We cannot overemphasize the value of temple marriage, the binding ties of the sealing ordinance, and the standards of worthiness required of them. When parents keep the covenants they have made at the altar of the temple, their children will be forever bound to them”

Boyd K. Packer

Guest Kamperfoelie

But wont the faithful be rewarded according to their worthiness and appointed a place in the various kingdoms? I dont know but isnt sealing meant to make sure you and the other stay together in case you qualify for different level or kingdom?

But wont the faithful be rewarded according to their worthiness and appointed a place in the various kingdoms? I dont know but isnt sealing meant to make sure you and the other stay together in case you qualify for different level or kingdom?

The sealing is contingent on the people being worthy of celestial glory.

It comes down to the sealing power. Elijah seems to have had this power, commanded that there should be a famine (sealed the heavens that there should be no rain, essentially) and it was done.

This power is described in Matthew 16:19 "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Without this sealing power the most important union in life -- marriage -- cannot be sealed in the heavens and remain in force before God after this life is over. So without the same authority that was held by Peter and the apostles anciently, the best any couple could hope for was, "till death due you part."