Photo
- - - - -

Can you put your own name on the prayer roll?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MormonMama

MormonMama

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

The title says it all. We could use all the prayers we can get right now (our house is almost unlivable anymore and we have no money to fix it). I was wondering if it is considered appropriate for us to put our own names on the temple prayer roll?

And if anyone wouldn't mind doing so for us with their local temples, please PM me and I will give you our names. And if you'd like to say a prayer for us yourselves, we would definitely be grateful!

#2 Palerider

Palerider

I don\'t own a horse-Senior Member

• Members
  • 17380 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

I don't see why not....no one would know you did except for yourself...:)
As Long As I Am Here......It Doesn't Matter Where Here Is.....

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them....Ronald Reagan

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.......Will Rogers

#3 MormonMama

MormonMama

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

Good point, lol. I'd just never heard of anyone doing it, so I didn't know if it was considered inappropriate or not.

#4 WillowTheWhisp

WillowTheWhisp

• Registered Users
  • 2160 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I've known people do it. I can't see anything wrong with the idea.

What you think you heard me say may not necessarily be what I thought I meant.

;)

#5 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5700 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

Yes! I've done it. I usually include my name when I'm putting family names on. It is never inappropriate to ask for prayers, whether for ourselves or for others.

You can also put something like "John and Jane Johnson and family". They also allow you to call the temple and give the names to someone. The Salt Lake and Bountiful temples have an extention that takes the names. At the Ogden temple whoever is answering the phone takes the names. I'm not sure of the procedure at other temples.

#6 Iggy

Iggy

• Members
  • 2844 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

I've always done it.

Have you gone to your Bishop for help? A friend of mine needed the house repaired before she could sell it, after her divorce. Her Bishop and ward members helped her out. Bishop paid for the roof with ward funds, and members gave of their labor and some money for the other repairs.

Remember, when the Ward (Bishop) pays for mortgage, bills, etc. it is NOT a loan. You do not pay back with cash. My friend paid back with sweat equity aka labor. The whole thing really ended up strengthening her testimony too.

:angel: :coocoo: :scribe:

“To do well you must do good, and to do good you must first be good."

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience"

Stephen R. Covey

#7 Iggy

Iggy

• Members
  • 2844 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

The Salt Lake and Bountiful temples have an extension that takes the names. At the Ogden temple whoever is answering the phone takes the names. I'm not sure of the procedure at other temples.

YEP, the same all over. Either they have an extension or the operator takes the names.

:angel: :coocoo: :scribe:

“To do well you must do good, and to do good you must first be good."

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience"

Stephen R. Covey

#8 MormonMama

MormonMama

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thanks everybody. I will definitely do that today then.

We've told our Home Teachers about what is going on and they said they'd check around the ward and stake to see if there was anyone who could help us. A guy who helped us previously with our plumbing issues had his house broken into and most of his equipment stolen, so he's out of commission right now. We have gotten help with smaller projects in the past, but our house is really so far gone that it will take thousands of dollars worth of repairs. I can't expect the church or church members to take care of that. We're to the point where we'd just like to sell it cheap and get out of it with enough left over for first and last months' rent somewhere else. It's either pay our mortgage or pay for repairs. We can't do both.

ETA: One more question. Should I call multiple temples, or is calling just one sufficient. I don't want to go into overkill. I was just thinking about calling the two temples currently in my state.

Edited by MormonMama, 16 March 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#9 Candice

Candice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Mormon Mamma ,
I see no problem with you or anyone putting your own name on the prayer roll.. I put my name on the prayer roll all the time. They don't know who you are and they are only supposed to take names. I think it's a great thing to put yourself on the prayer roll and in doing so I believe that the prayers help in so many ways. I usally call several different Temples and sometimes I call other state temples and sometimes a few different times a day since they rotate people. I hope that what your going through becomes easier .I am sorry that you are going through this I hope that things are getting better :S I am praying for you guys

#10 Jennarator

Jennarator

• Members
  • 1848 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

I wish there was something I could do to help!! The prayer roll is a good idea. I will keep you in my prayers as well.
Also, it might be a good idea to let you bishop know what is going on. I don't know if the home teacher told him or not, but it wouldn't hurt to make sure he knows.

#11 sister_in_faith

sister_in_faith

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

When I was going thru the process to become endowed I called myself in to almost all the english speaking temples that were open at the time I was making calls... i think i was on close to 30 temple rolls... may have been overkill, but it worked! had to put international calling on my phone for the day, but it was a lot of fun knowing I was on a temple roll in Africa, for two weeks anyway.

Every time I go to the temple I put me, my honey, and 3 specific friends down.

"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

--Alma 37:37

#12 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6209 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

If they find out it's you, they increase your tithe to 12%. ;)

#13 Gargantuan

Gargantuan

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

Putting your name on the Temple prayer roll is a personal matter between you and God. He knows your needs and He expects you to exercise your faith in asking for a special blessing even by putting your own name on the Prayer Roll. It's good exercise of your faith to always maintain your name on the PR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq