• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 MuggleMormon

MuggleMormon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

I can't seem to find this online and only heard a blurb on the morning news.

What's going on? Does anyone know The Church's Official stance on this Shroud?

I've been watching too much HGTV lately and need something new. Thought this special on TV tonight might be worth watching but didn't know what it actually was all about.

Anyone know off the top of their heads?

#2 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 49861 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Seeing how I come up completely empty when searching lds.org for "Shroud of Turin" I would say they've made no comments or stance on this shroud.

#3 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 8596 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Last I heard the shroud was debunked and proven to be a fraud.

The Traveler

#4 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9646 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yes, I saw a program a couple years ago that said the shroud is not old enough to have been Christ's.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#5 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10203 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Here's an article about it on MSBC just last week.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#6 ADoyle90815

ADoyle90815

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

I remember hearing that it was determined to be from the 14th century, not from the time of Christ.
"He who takes offense when it's not intended is a fool, he who takes offense when it IS intended is a greater fool." Brigham Young
:rainbow:

#7 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 12974 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Last I heard the shroud was debunked and proven to be a fraud.

The Traveler

This, IIRC Carbon-14 Radiometric dating returned a date of the 13th or 14th centuries, Wikipedia puts it as somewhere between 1260 and 1390. I note that the article Wingnut linked to states the same dates.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#8 MuggleMormon

MuggleMormon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hey - thanks for all the replies.

They will all help if I do end up watching this show. I'll take it with a grain of salt. I finally found some info on the documentary and since I'm in graphic design and photography, it will be interesting to see the process.

Ciao for now :rainfro:

Edited by MuggleMormon, 30 March 2010 - 03:15 PM.
typo

#9 Snow

Snow

Banned

• Banned
  • 10624 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

What's going on? Does anyone know The Church's Official stance on this Shroud?

I am also interested to know what the Church's official stance is on the Loch Ness monster.

For that matter... I'd like to know what their unofficial stance is on cold fusion.
There is nothing more pathetic than the anti anti-mormon Colonel Louis/Lewis Tucker

#10 myway

myway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

Weel the newest controversy surrounding the carbon 14 test revolve around the argument that the sample taken from the shroud for testing was a "patch" that was placed on the shroud to repair it. The patch is stated to have been placed on the shroud much later, thereby nullifying the original carbon 14 results. My opinion....only he knows for sure.

#11 Wingnut

Wingnut

• Members
  • 10203 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:44 PM

My opinion....only he knows for sure.

My opinion...why does it matter and who really cares?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#12 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9646 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

I am also interested to know what the Church's official stance is on the Loch Ness monster.

For that matter... I'd like to know what their unofficial stance is on cold fusion.

Both ideas, while interesting, have been shown to be without merit so far. If you have proof of either, especially the Loch Ness monster, please forward this information to your bishop. Alternatively, you could post your evidence here where our resident experts could analyze it impartially.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#13 Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy

Semi-Senior Moderator, and Repentant Sea-Lawyer

• Senior Moderators
  • 8081 posts
  • LocationUtah County, Utah, USA

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

In point of fact, some scientists seem to be coming back to the whole cold fusion idea. See, e.g., here and here.
This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed.

--Roland Young ("Uncle Willie"), The Philadelphia Story

#14 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9646 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, Fleischmann and Pons thought they were onto something too. While the idea is interesting, so far it is unproven and unreliable. I still think the Loch Ness Monster holds more promise of coming true in the near future.
-from despair.com

From protestwarrior.com

#15 deseretgov

deseretgov

Banned

• Banned
  • 699 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

I've heard that the Shroud was in a fire and that could upset carbon dating.

#16 dazed-and-confused

dazed-and-confused

• Members
  • 1804 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

i have heard the same thing.
wouldn't it be interesting (to say the least) if it was, in fact, real?

#17 FlaviusHambonius

FlaviusHambonius

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:56 AM

From what I saw on the History Channel last night they basically said the carbon 14 data doesn't apply like they thought it once did. Many parts of the surrounding edges has been repaired and replaced with material from the 14 century time period, and also given the fact that it was always handled from the outside edges also would have affected it to a certain degree.
There is absolutley no evidence of any pigment of any type on the shroud itself in the image. They can tell you everything that it does not contain -- they just cant tell you what it is that caused the image.
It seems that some have come to the conclusion that whatever light or heat force that came through the supernatural event called the Resurection must have caused it.
The Shroud went to many different places over the years with many different people in control over it.
It was interesting to note that they discovered pollen from a flower that grows in a 50 mile radius around the Jerusalem area and only in that area.
There is also another large piece of cloth that they put over the head of Jesus immediatley after removing him from the cross that had larger spots of blood on it ( I don't recall the name of the cloth but has been well documented since the 7th century) that when put over the image of the Shroud -- matched up perfectly -- in effect the caretakers of Jesus immediatley put this piece of cloth over his face, much the same way as we would cover the face when someone passes -- and then later put the Shroud over his face.

One of the comments from one of the scientist was that this man (Jesus) was literally beaten to hell.
So I'm sure the movie 'The Passion' probably depicted the flogging event quite acuratley (IMO)
With the age of computers and all of the other procedures that went with the process it was amazing at what they did.
I was facinated the whole 2 hours that this program was on. I for whatever reason from years ago when I stumbled onto information about the Shroud always thought there was something to it -- now I am a firm believer in my heart.
If anyone can watch this on the History Channel or buy the video --I highly recomend it, because I have done no justice to the documentary -- it is simply amazing the things they bring out in it.

#18 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3337 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

it's non-issue. WHeether it exists or not will not affect one's relationship with God and CHrist, and so is left up to the member to decide for themselves.

#19 Snow

Snow

Banned

• Banned
  • 10624 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

it's non-issue. WHeether it exists or not will not affect one's relationship with God and CHrist, and so is left up to the member to decide for themselves.

What about linoleum? What is the Church's official stance on linoleum?
There is nothing more pathetic than the anti anti-mormon Colonel Louis/Lewis Tucker

#20 Wingnut

Wingnut

• Members
  • 10203 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I'd like to make some snarky comment about how Pergo flooring is far superior to linoleum, but knowing Snow, he'd probably be able to come up with some reference or doctrinal reasoning as to why linoleum is, in fact, more doctrinally true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq