Is it ok to write your prayer?

I find myself in a position where it's difficult to find sufficient time to kneel and say all the things I want to say during a prayer (mostly due to work schedules - I often fall asleep at night while praying!). I do have down time at one of my jobs each day where I spend some time writing between clients and I thought why not take some of that time to write a prayer letter? I would take a knee and pray during this time, but I'm in a office setting and a letter may also help me organize my thoughts better.

I don't know that there is any doctrine either way on this, but what are your thoughts? Is this simply silly or is it ok? One of the benefits is later on I'd have a record of my prayer to look back on.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself in a position where it's difficult to find sufficient time to kneel and say all the things I want to say during a prayer (mostly due to work schedules - I often fall asleep at night while praying!). I do have down time at one of my jobs each day where I spend some time writing between clients and I thought why not take some of that time to write a prayer letter? I would take a knee and pray during this time, but I'm in a office setting and a letter may also help me organize my thoughts better.

I don't know that there is any doctrine either way on this, but what are your thoughts? Is this simply silly or is it ok? One of the benefits is later on I'd have a record of my prayer to look back on.

Any thoughts?

I know some mormons who record their prayers in a prayer book that is kept like a diary.

i couldn't see myself writing my prayer in the manner of how i would say my prayers, like letter form.

i have in my journal written about things that were weighing on my mind, things i had been praying about, i've written inspiration i'd gotten in regards to those concerns, etc. in that since i guess i've written my prayers.

i read an article outlining a scripture study technique. it was suggested to get an inexpensive book of mormon, pick a couple things you really needed guidance about and a couple colors of scripture markers. use a different color for each concern. write them in the front of the book. each time you go to read start by re-reading your questions and praying for guidance and inspiration about those things. then as you read and find insight and inspiration you mark the scriptures and write the thoughts in the margins in the appropriate color. that way you can go back and read it, also keeps you focused on the issues most important to you. i guess in a way doing that might be seen as writing a prayer.

in all situations i would be very careful when and where i wrote such things and what i did with the writings later. don't want them getting lost or someone who would not understand reading them. prayers are a very personal thing. pearls before swine comes to mind as well.

all that being said i've noticed in the conference issue of the ensign they do not write the prayers given, just the talks.

I've never written a prayer, but I definitely find taking time to think about what I want to pray about results in 'better' prayers as I have that focus and organization. If I don't think about my prayers before hand something vain and repetitious tends to pop out (not good).

We're told that our church meetings are generally supposed to be led by the Spirit, and I wonder whether that's partly why (outside of temple dedications) we sort of frown on people who bring pre-packaged prayers to the pulpit.

But I should think, in a private context, it would be a very good way of getting one's thoughts organized.

Good afternoon InquisitiveSoul. Greetings from here in Michigan where it's finally starting to warm up! :)

Any thoughts?

I present my thoughts only as opinion since I am not aware of any doctrine addressing your specific question. It is an interesting question and a new idea to me that I find intriguing.

I think my only reservation about the idea is that if one were to write down a prescribed prayer that they use repititously. Jesus did warn against using "vain repetitions" when we pray (Matt. 6:7). However, I don't believe this is what you are meaning to do. Essentially our prayers should be prayers of the heart. Meaning, they should come from the part of us that is our core. If one were to write down their thoughts, concerns, questions, thanksgivings, etc. in a journal like entry, I see no reason why using those journal entries as the source of your prayers would be wrong. In fact if you are truly writing the things of your heart then I see no difference whatsoever between that and speaking from your heart at the time of prayer.

While thinking of your question I also thought that doing something like what you describe might even be a superior way of praying. It would seem to me that if I am taking the time to write down the thoughts of my heart I am taking more time also to consider the things I am praying about and for. In a sense I would think that this can help in making one's prayers less repetitous than if they were just saying things on the spot. Sometimes I find myself praying the same type of prayer each morning or evening, which isn't very useful, I don't think.

So, my conclusion is that I like the idea and will give it a try and see if it improves my prayers. Thanks for the idea!

Regards,

Finrock

We're told that our church meetings are generally supposed to be led by the Spirit, and I wonder whether that's partly why (outside of temple dedications) we sort of frown on people who bring pre-packaged prayers to the pulpit.

In the Catholic Church there are many set prayers, whether a prayer is said prememorised or not there is no difference in the Fathers response. Faith causes the Father to respond.

But I should think, in a private context, it would be a very good way of getting one's thoughts organized.

This is why they were written.

No? Really Maureen?

I think it's probably ok, but it may not be the most...I don't know the word I want, maybe humble? There is a certain humility to bowing down to pray.

I was trying to be facetious InquisitiveSoul. I mean, if you want to do it, then you should do it. I can't imagine thinking that writing prayers, like in a journal, is a bad thing. I'm amazed sometimes with questions that are asked, where the answer is obvious.

M.

In the Catholic Church there are many set prayers, whether a prayer is said prememorised or not there is no difference in the Fathers response. Faith causes the Father to respond.

The LDS Church has a couple of set prayers as well--the most prominent being the one that accompanies what we call the Sacrament (our equivalent to your Eucharist).

But LDS meetings will usually open and close with a prayer offered by one of the congregation; and those are almost always extemporaneous.

The LDS Church has a couple of set prayers as well--the most prominent being the one that accompanies what we call the Sacrament (our equivalent to your Eucharist).

But LDS meetings will usually open and close with a prayer offered by one of the congregation; and those are almost always extemporaneous.

So you have set prayers aswell.

What about the sign of the cross?

I understand that you also do not use crosses or crucifixes?

We don't do the sign of the cross, no.

Our meetinghouses don't have crosses; though I think frankly it's more of a cultural thing. Mormonism grew out of 1830s America, and at that point in time the crucifix unfortunately carried a lot of cultural/political baggage for a virulently Protestant nation.

I believe some LDS historians have pointed to a few limited instances of the cross in late-19th-century LDS architecture and clothing. But they're rare.

However, depending on which temple you're looking at and when it was built, you may see other symbols of Christ such as the angel Moroni, the star of David, the all-seeing eye, the so-called Seal of Melchizedek, and (in temples built before the symbol acquired its modern connotations) the pentagram.

We don't do the sign of the cross, no.

Our meetinghouses don't have crosses; though I think frankly it's more of a cultural thing. Mormonism grew out of 1830s America, and at that point in time the crucifix unfortunately carried a lot of cultural/political baggage for a virulently Protestant nation.

I believe some LDS historians have pointed to a few limited instances of the cross in late-19th-century LDS architecture and clothing. But they're rare.

However, depending on which temple you're looking at and when it was built, you may see other symbols of Christ such as the angel Moroni, the star of David, the all-seeing eye, the so-called Seal of Melchizedek, and (in temples built before the symbol acquired its modern connotations) the pentagram.

I also believe that your rejection of objects such as crucifixes is mostly down to the reformation. But you guys really like your paintings don't you? :D

I often write my prayers when my brain is wandering and my fibromyalgia is bad - the spirit is strong and I have managed a prayer, also gives me a chance to read back over them

As you can imagine I have little statues of Jesus christ and Mary at home, they are my prayer stations! :D Not to mention all of my countless rosaries.

I also believe that your rejection of objects such as crucifixes is mostly down to the reformation. But you guys really like your paintings don't you? :D

I would not say that our rejection of crucifixes is due to the reformation. We prefer to remember Christ as a living Christ and the cross represents the death of Christ. Nor would I say it's a total rejection.

I would not say that our rejection of crucifixes is due to the reformation. We prefer to remember Christ as a living Christ and the cross represents the death of Christ. Nor would I say it's a total rejection.

Here is a good explanation for why we don't use the cross: LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Cross

I quite like this forum site, you all seem to know your faith very well.

Any thoughts?

Hey, Inquisitive Soul~

I think it's a great idea for you to write out your prayers. It sounds like you have a buzy schedule and are really wanting to make an effort to reach out to God.

I know often times writing helps me to "unload" all my thoughts and emotions. It helps me to "gel" what I'm feeling and to think about it. If you're sincerely doing this as a form of prayer, I'm sure God will "read" you as you write :D....... He already knows you, your needs and condition. If writing is you best route for "pouring your heart" out to God, go for it!

The cross is used in many Christian churches as a symbol of the Savior’s death and Resurrection and as a sincere expression of faith. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we also remember with reverence the suffering of the Savior. But because the Savior lives, we do not use the symbol of His death as the symbol of our faith.

Your life must be the expression of your faith. Remember that when you were baptized and confirmed, you covenanted to take upon yourself the name of Jesus Christ. As your associates observe you, they should be able to sense your love for the Savior and His work.

The only members of the Church who wear the symbol of the cross are Latter-day Saint chaplains, who wear it on their military uniforms to show that they are Christian chaplains

Confused...

As you can imagine I have little statues of Jesus christ and Mary at home, they are my prayer stations! :D Not to mention all of my countless rosaries.

its not very LDS of me but I do have a prayer space, hoping to have one in the garden when I move - right now it has a green plant to remind me Heavenly Father and Jesus created the planet and its beautiful, a candle to remind me that Jesus is the light of the world and a picture of the San Diego Temple to remind me my main goal in life is to return myself and my family to Heavenly Father, that we want to go home. I also use an oil burner and have something nice and smelly in it. I have a red ribbon on it to remind me of the atonement and that the blood of Christ was shed for me and I want to add a Water feature to remind me Christ is the source of life and will sustain me through the day