• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Over43

Over43

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

I was thinking of Pero, not Postum.
Hypochondriacs are their own terrorists.- From "More Die of Heartbreak" by Saul Bellow

#22 lizrenowden

lizrenowden

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

I did some research, and must apologize, it has been discontinued.

$50-$80 on Ebay, that is an addiction.

What's the other "coffee replacement" drink out there?

I have a small carton of Caro in my cupboard and my mother drinks Barleycup. I think there is another called Bambu (couldn't get the link to work on my computer so don't know if these maybe mentioned on there apologies if they are) Get mine from a national chain of health food shops. They seem to be the hot drinks of choice for LDS over here.:D

#23 jayanna

jayanna

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 1062 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

Well, if you are asking for opinions, is it addictive? Can you fast from it? Is it harmful to you? If you were asked by the Lord to give it up, would you?

That would be a good guide for the WoW question

...you might consider whether it looks like you are drinking coffee...milk at dinner parties?

Though that is a different issue, the appearance of sin.

Would others think badly of you if they saw you drinking it? Not if they have the spirit of charity and give you the benefit of the doubt.

#24 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3548 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Not to start a debate or anything, but I do have a question for church members out there. I used to drink coffee before joining the church because I loved the taste of it. Up until now, I didn't know that there was such a thing as a "coffee substitute," which literally contains no coffee and no caffeine. If I drank this, I don't believe I'd be breaking the Word of Wisdom, as I've said before, no coffee beans -- think rye, barley, and chicory! But what do you think?

And please refrain from responses such as, "Well, if you're questioning whether or not it'd be breaking the Word of Wisdom, then you probably have your answer," because it's not really that sort of question. I want to know if members would somehow be offended if I drank something that contains the word "coffee," in it ... I know people who get offended because converts drink NON-ALCOHOLIC "beer" because they like the taste, when there isn't any alcohol in it and the only real offense is that the word "beer" is stamped on the label.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

One of the brands I saw at Broulims today was called "Pero." The website states this about their product:

"Looking for a natural alternative to caffeinated coffee or tea?

Your search is over. PERO is a 100% natural beverage with a coffee-like taste. It’s 100% naturally caffeine free and blended from select all natural ingredients --- malted barley, barley, chicory and rye. And because PERO contains no stimulants it will not elevate heart rate or blood pressure, cause sleeplessness or create any adverse physical ailments typically associated with caffeine consumption. Plus, the low acidity of this natural beverage makes it easy to enjoy morning, noon or night without fear of stomach upset.

PERO can be mixed with your favorite ingredients to create your own hot drink specialties to relax and enjoy.

So, take a break -- and make PERO the beverage of choice for you and your family."

dunno. seems ok.

#25 Guest_gwgliss_*

Guest_gwgliss_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm just old enough to remember, as a teenager, when the ENSIGN was called the Improvement Era ... and therein, were small ads scattered throughout the magazine, among our church articles, for Postum, and another hot drink. Pero, today, would be no different. Church approved. Yes, there are some over-the-top (??) members who won't even drink a "hot drink"... nor even sip a dark soda. But in our Denver temple, there was a soft drink dispenser in the cafeteria, and among the 7 Up, Orange and other soft drinks, was Diet Coke.

#26 jerome1232

jerome1232

Little Penguin

• Members
  • 1088 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

FYI, Postum.com | Postum

Postum is coming back this winter.

#27 Guest_gwgliss_*

Guest_gwgliss_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

We'll watch for it. Much appreciated.

#28 prisonchaplain

prisonchaplain

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 12261 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I've gotten to the place where I consider Folgers/Yuban/Maxwell House etc. to be coffee substitutes...though you might not want to quote a Java's Witness minister like me when explaining yourself to the bishop.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

#29 prisonchaplain

prisonchaplain

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 12261 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

FYI, Postum.com | Postum

Postum is coming back this winter.

To quote the circa 1980s Valley Girl faux accented colloquilism, "Gag me with a spoon!" :eek:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq