Elders Quorum Activities? anyone

I serve as an elders quorum president for almost a year now but I am struggling in my Home Teaching reports, and gathering my quorum members because they have their own reasons not to do home teachings and don't want to attend activities that will not involve FOOD and they don't want to spare from their own money for a little to add up the budget.

I had read a lot of information like how to "UP the Home Teaching" and I was truly inspired by those ideas. But right now I wanted to do something different that would make the quorum more united and have a meaningful activity. I feel there is something for me in this calling that would change the lives of people, and GOD see that I have not done anything yet. :(

Can you please help me or give me an idea of activities you do in your ward or stake, I am limited of ideas.

Thank you in advance

Guest mormonmusic

I serve as an elders quorum president for almost a year now but I am struggling in my Home Teaching reports, and gathering my quorum members because they have their own reasons not to do home teachings and don't want to attend activities that will not involve FOOD and they don't want to spare from their own money for a little to add up the budget.

I had read a lot of information like how to "UP the Home Teaching" and I was truly inspired by those ideas. But right now I wanted to do something different that would make the quorum more united and have a meaningful activity. I feel there is something for me in this calling that would change the lives of people, and GOD see that I have not done anything yet. :(

Can you please help me or give me an idea of activities you do in your ward or stake, I am limited of ideas.

Thank you in advance

You have to figure out what the guys like to do, and do that. I suggest the following:

a) In your quorum meeting, discuss the purpose of the social. In many Wards, the quorum members seem to ask "What's the purpose of the meeting" so you have to be ready with a good answer. For me, it was to build quorum opportunity, provide an opportunity for new and returning members to feel fellowshipped.

b) Ask everyone to fill out a piece of paper that has a question "what are some suggestions you have for a social in our Ward"? Let everyone brainstorm a few ideas.

c) Compile the list of ideas and shoot it back to the quorum members to check off the activities they would be interested in.

d) Compile the answers and pick the top 2, and then share them with the quorum.

Make the whole thing a democratic effort and you'll find your ideas go further.

Regarding their unwillingness to give money or attend activities which have no food, ask everyone to bring something and make it pot luck.

Some things we have done:

a) A social with icebreaker games.

b) A social where we invite someone from the community to teach us something, like personal safety (had the Sherriff's office come in and teach us about how to do this)

c) A plain old barbque coupled with the social in (B)\

d) Our HP Group put on a Social for the whole ward with a simple hamburger, chips and soda shindig after Church, after getting permission from the social activities person.

The bottom line was that these were suggested by the quorum members; get their involvement and input, and listen to it, and you'll probably get more out of it.

Edited by mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

I serve as an elders quorum president for almost a year now but I am struggling in my Home Teaching reports, and gathering my quorum members because they have their own reasons not to do home teachings and don't want to attend activities that will not involve FOOD and they don't want to spare

This is an ongoing struggle. You can try to inspire them in your Sunday quorum meetings with the Spirit. Some will respond, some will not. I once had a panel of single sisters come into our meeting and share experiences about home teachers who blessed them. That relieved me of being the home teaching thumper and created some spirituality.

Try the PPI's with some brethren. Let your councilors do them, and if they get no results, you do them, and if that doesn't work, ask your HIgh Councilor to be join you with the same brethren again, escalating the interviews upward (kindly, politely, etcetera, with love). If the brethren still won't do hometeaching, then let the Bishop know and leave it in his hands to do as he sees fit. I've never had a Bishop willing to talk to brethren, even temple recommend holders about their non-home teaching, but yours might.

Plan quarterly (best) or semi-annual blitzes to people who haven't been seen to improve your home teaching efforts. Certain committed brethren will agree to be blitz hometeachers , so rally them to the extent they are willing.

Also, I plan to do this next time - -stop expecting to change people's lives. It's definitely a righteous desire, but look at it as a bi-product of your efforts, not as a fixated goal -- the changers will probably be more likely to come that way.

Just keep building a good relationship with the reluctant brethren. Don't get frustrated with it like I did. YOu can only do so much, and focus your energies with the people who want to be helped, and with programs that have an impact. If the STake or anyone gets on you about hometeaching (unduly) assert your efforts, the escalated interviews, and your blitz's.

I like ONE PERSON in charge of collecting home teaching reports to ease administration. Only problem is that if that person falls down, then the report fails spectacularly. Try to have a backup person in the wings in case that one person doesn't follow through on their calling.

Also, consider putting reluctant families who need to be hometaught on a mailing list and either reporting the letters as a visit or report them separately as contacts -- whatever feels right to you and your Bishop.

Edited by mormonmusic

Nor should they contribute their own funds to add up the budget...doing so is strictly against Church policy. Members may, however, be asked to contribute food or supplies en masse (think potlucks, or bringing their own paper plates) so long as they do not cause any significant difficulty to the member. And no one should ever be excluded due to an inability to pay/provide.

My favorite activity of the year is the quorum's daddy/daughter campout. We've also done barbecue's before conference, video game nights, etc.

I've had some experience struggling with the same things. But I don't think you are going to get the answers you need here. I am sure that everyone here will have good ideas, but it doesn't matter what good ideas we have, you need to go to the Lord and find out what He wants you to do.

With that said, I will give you some things that help.

Meet one on one with the Elders. Talk to them and try to understand where they are and what problems they may be having. They may be completely disconnected with the rest of the quorum, but if you are showing interest in them, they might respond better. But make sure you aren't just dismissing their concerns, but actually empathize with them. (It's something I struggle with sometimes myself).

Counsel with your counselors. Listen to their idea. You need to be united as a Presidency or you won't have any success uniting the rest of the quorum. Get them on board and hear them out and you will be able to feed off each other.

Have each of your Presidency focus on an Elder that you feel needs help. Prayfully try to get them reengerized in the work.

Be bold and have faith.

I don't mean to sound like I'm telling you what to do. But I've found many of those things work good.

Maybe you just need to focus on basic activity so people get to know each other and provide service. If only some of them show up you can at least start building a core group.

No matter how good or bad any of my ideas say, turn to the Lord and rely on Him. It's His work. And He will provide what you need to accomplish it. And study and master D&C 121.

Didn't read the whole thread... sorry.

I just wanted to tell you realy quick how much of a great time I had in our last EQ activity. By the way, I'm a woman.

The EQ held a baseball game for everyone in the ward. They had burgers and hotdogs and some ward members brought chicken to grill. Some ward members brought bubble-makers for the kids and horse shoes and such...

I played my very first baseball game. I've never played it in my life! I watch it on TV and my kid was in tee-ball so I kinda get the rules. I had 3 hits, 1 run to home base, and one forced out at home base (I was the catcher behind the batter for our team)! We had sooooo much fun. Everybody has so much fun that the activity was planned from 9AM - 12:00 noon but we didn't end until about 3 in the afternoon.

I got to know some guys in the ward that are just passing acquaintances. Most of them are the quiet ones or ones that don't really extend beyond their own little group. They were all pretty vocal and active in the baseball game and brought about a team spirit and even had fun banter with the opposing team. I have to say, that was one EQ activity I will remember for a long time.

Last year, the EQ held date night - they invited all adults to a restaurant. From what I heard, it was a success. I wasn't able to go because I didn't have any babysitter.