The Sealed Portion of The Book of Mormon

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 InquisitiveSoul

InquisitiveSoul

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Is the sealed portion of The Book of Mormon supposed to come forth before the 2nd coming? Did Joseph give a sneak preview as to what may be contained?

#2 mliff

mliff

Banned

• Banned
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have wondered this myself, actually still am lol. (sorry im no help though)

#3 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5883 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

What a minute.... last time I checked my BoM there weren't any sealed portions. We do know that there were sealed portions of the Gold Plates. However, we don't know who wrote on those plates. It might not have been Mormon. :) Edit: We know from Joseph Smith and the witnesses about the sealed portion. I doubt Joseph would have tried to peek.

Edited by applepansy, 01 July 2010 - 07:06 PM.

#4 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10410 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

I'm not sure Joseph Smith could have given a sneak peek, becuase I'm not sure that even he was privy to that section of the plates.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#5 Justice

Justice

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 3584 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

This is something I've thought about and, with some thought, it becomes obvious what the sealed portion was.

Mormon buried ALL the records that had been passed into his hands, except for a few that he gave his son Moroni. Mormon abridged the Large Plates onto a separate set of plates which he made, called the Plates of Mormon. After he abridged the Large Plates he found the Small Plates and included those in what he gave to Moroni. We know this because we have them in our Book of Mormon today.

Also, Moroni abridged the Plates of Ether, so we know he had those.

Other than Mormon's and Moroni's own personal writings, that all that wasn't buried by Moroni.

So, Moroni buried:

Plates of Mormon, which included Mormon's abridgement of the Large Plates of Nephi, the Small Plates of Nephi and Moroni's and Mormon's personal writings.
Plates of Ether and Moroni's abridgement of those plates.

We have ALL of what Moroni and Joseph Smith had in our current Book of Mormon, except the Plates of Ether (aside from the lost Book of Lehi). The Plates of Ether were obviously the sealed portion of the Gold Plates.

But, when Amaleki gave the Small Plates of Nephi to King Benjamin, they were no longer written in. From that point on, the Large Plates contained the secular record AND the spiritual record. Mormon said, when he abridged 3rd Nephi, that he could only write a hundreth of the words Christ spoke to the people...

Mormon was not there when Christ spoke to the people, so that means he could only write a hundreth part of the words of Christ that were written on the Large Plates of Nephi. THEY ARE WRITTEN DOWN!!

The sealed portion of the Gold Plates (The Plates of Ether) intrige me, but not NEAR as much as the words of Christ that we don't have that are written on the Large Paltes of Nephi. Mormon said Christ expounded all scriptures, and all things from before the beginning to the end of time to them.

Now THAT'S what I'm hoping will be revealed, and not so much the sealed portion of Ether.

Joseph Smith never had the Large Plates of Nephi.

Edited by Justice, 01 July 2010 - 08:06 PM.

#6 Tarnished

Tarnished

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 934 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

Is the sealed portion of The Book of Mormon supposed to come forth before the 2nd coming? Did Joseph give a sneak preview as to what may be contained?

I am kind of doubting that he would have given a "sneak preview" as it was "sealed". Thus unable to open. If you can't open a box can you give other people a sneak preview of what was in the box? Probably not.

#7 InquisitiveSoul

InquisitiveSoul

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

The other portion was sealed, but don't you think Moroni gave Joseph some idea of what was on the plates? I'd be surprised if Joseph didn't know. Justice, you give a great explanation, but do you know if the sealed portion will come forward before the 2nd coming? Do you know if any of the prophets have talked about the sealed portion or how the members will react to these works coming forward? Maybe Thomas Monson is in Salt Lake right now translating with other members of the 1st Presidency, probably not, but it's fun to picture.

#8 JessicaHarper

JessicaHarper

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I have learned something today. I never knew there was an alleged sealed portion of the BOM. Interesting.

#9 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

Joseph stated, when the New Zion is built is when they will unburied the plates. Both Joseph and Sidney saw the past, present, and future of creation and this earth. This is how we received D&C 76. I do not think it was necessary after that to see the contents. Would you?

#10 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

This is something I've thought about and, with some thought, it becomes obvious what the sealed portion was.

Mormon buried ALL the records that had been passed into his hands, except for a few that he gave his son Moroni. Mormon abridged the Large Plates onto a separate set of plates which he made, called the Plates of Mormon. After he abridged the Large Plates he found the Small Plates and included those in what he gave to Moroni. We know this because we have them in our Book of Mormon today.

Also, Moroni abridged the Plates of Ether, so we know he had those.

Other than Mormon's and Moroni's own personal writings, that all that wasn't buried by Moroni.

So, Moroni buried:

Plates of Mormon, which included Mormon's abridgement of the Large Plates of Nephi, the Small Plates of Nephi and Moroni's and Mormon's personal writings.
Plates of Ether and Moroni's abridgement of those plates.

We have ALL of what Moroni and Joseph Smith had in our current Book of Mormon, except the Plates of Ether (aside from the lost Book of Lehi). The Plates of Ether were obviously the sealed portion of the Gold Plates.

But, when Amaleki gave the Small Plates of Nephi to King Benjamin, they were no longer written in. From that point on, the Large Plates contained the secular record AND the spiritual record. Mormon said, when he abridged 3rd Nephi, that he could only write a hundreth of the words Christ spoke to the people...

Mormon was not there when Christ spoke to the people, so that means he could only write a hundreth part of the words of Christ that were written on the Large Plates of Nephi. THEY ARE WRITTEN DOWN!!

The sealed portion of the Gold Plates (The Plates of Ether) intrige me, but not NEAR as much as the words of Christ that we don't have that are written on the Large Paltes of Nephi. Mormon said Christ expounded all scriptures, and all things from before the beginning to the end of time to them.

Now THAT'S what I'm hoping will be revealed, and not so much the sealed portion of Ether.

Joseph Smith never had the Large Plates of Nephi.

To add...if I am correct, including names of important players in the world from the beginning to the end.

#11 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

Charles Tate stated:

"When space was no longer a problem, Moroni abridged the record of the Jaredites, which he took from the twenty-four gold plates found by the people of Limhi in the days of King Mosiah. He started his abridgment by saying,

And now I, Moroni, proceed to give an account of those ancient inhabitants who were destroyed by the hand of the Lord upon the face of this north country.

And I take mine account from the twenty and four plates which were found by the people of Limhi, which is called the Book of Ether. (Ether 1:1-2.)

The Jaredites were a separate people from the family of Lehi. They came to this land many hundreds of years before Lehi, at the time the languages were confounded at the Tower of Babel. Their records were translated with the help of "interpreters" prepared by the Lord for that very purpose.

Ether was the last prophet of the Jaredites. He was rejected, and hid himself in caves, and recorded the complete destruction of his people (Ether 13:13-14)."

#12 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

Continuing with the same article, separating them for ease of reading:

Moroni wrote in great detail the visions and teachings of the brother of Jared. He said,

Behold, I have written upon these plates [plates of Mormon] the very things which the brother of Jared saw; and there never were greater things made manifest than those which were made manifest unto the brother of Jared.

Wherefore the Lord hath commanded me to write them; and I have written them. And he commanded me that I should seal them up. (Ether 4:4-5; see 2 Nephi 27:7.)

Moroni sealed up this portion of his record with instructions to the future translator, "And I have told you the things which I have sealed up; therefore touch them not in order that ye may translate; for that thing is forbidden you, except by and by it shall be wisdom in God" (Ether 5:1).

We do not know exactly how large a portion of the plates of Mormon is sealed. Estimates range from one-third to two-thirds. Joseph Smith simply recorded: "a part of which was sealed." 4 Whatever the portion, Moroni's sealed writings were extensive and very important and will yet be brought forth.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie, commenting on the contents of the sealed plates, said,

When, during the Millennium, the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon is translated, it will give an account of life in the premortal existence; of the creation of all things; of the Fall and the Atonement and the Second Coming; of temple ordinances, in their fulness; of the ministry and mission of translated beings; of life in the spirit world, in both paradise and hell; of the kingdoms of glory to be inhabited by resurrected beings; and many such like things.

As of now, the world is not ready to receive these truths.

In A.D. 421, Moroni finished his record and buried the plates of Mormon, along with other sacred treasures, where they remained until he personally delivered them to Joseph Smith in 1827. ('First Nephi: The Doctrinal Foundation' by Charles D. Tate, Monte S. Nyman, p.110)

Either Moroni witness the same vision given to the Brother of Jared or he sealed the record containing the vision.

Edited by Hemidakota, 03 July 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#13 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Now, looking from Apostle Bruce R. McConkie viewpoint concerning the sealed records, here is his statement (New Witness for the Articles of Faith by Bruce R. McConkie, p443-444):

"But sadly, the book is sealed; its contents are being kept from men in this day. Indeed, it is not even now in the possession of mortals; it was returned by Joseph Smith to Moroni, its divinely appointed custodian. Nor did even Joseph Smith either read or translate it. We know of no one among mortals since Mormon and Moroni who have known its contents. It was known among the Nephites during the nearly two hundred years of their Golden Era. But for the present, the book is kept from us; only the portion upon which no seal was placed has been translated.

Why are these plates of Mormon sealed? The answer is obvious. They contain spiritual truths beyond our present ability to receive. Milk must precede meat, and whenever men are offered more of the mysteries of the kingdom than they are prepared to receive, it affects them adversely. In instructing his Jewish disciples, for instance, Jesus said: "Go ye into the world, saying unto all, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come nigh unto you. And the mysteries of the kingdom ye shall keep within yourselves; for it is not meet to give that which is holy unto the dogs; neither cast ye your pearls unto swine, lest they trample them under their feet. For the world cannot receive that which ye, yourselves, are not able to bear; wherefore ye shall not give your pearls unto them, lest they turn again and rend you." (JST, Matthew 7:9-11.) Thus also Alma said: "It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict commandment that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him." (Alma 12:9.)

The sealed portion of the Book of Mormon contains an account of what the brother of Jared saw. Of this account Moroni said:

"I have written upon these plates the very things which the brother of Jared saw; and there never were greater things made manifest than those which were made manifest unto the brother of Jared. Wherefore the Lord hath commanded me to write them; and I have written them. And he commanded me that I should seal them up; and he also hath commanded that I should seal up the interpretation thereof; wherefore I have sealed up the interpreters, according to the commandment of the Lord. For the Lord said unto me: They shall not go forth unto the Gentiles until the day that they shall repent of their iniquity, and become clean before the Lord.

"And in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are. And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ."
(Ether 4:4-8.)"

#14 spamlds

spamlds

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

It is a wonderful, hopeful thing to contemplate what the sealed portion of the record might contain. I would expect that it would contain the gospels of the Nephite twelve. Wouldn't it be amazing to read the Gospel of Mathonihah, or Kumenonhi, or Shemnon, or Jonas. We really don't give a great deal of thought to the Nephite apostles, save for the three we know to still be among mortals. What an exciting day it will be when it will be announced in a general conference that the President of the Church has received the plates once again and the Urim and Thummim. Perhaps they will publish and set forth the sustaining of new revelations to be added to the scriptures, as was done when Section 137 and 138 were added to the D&C. I just hope that the members in that day won't be foolish enough to say "A Book of Mormon, a Book of Mormon, we have a Book of Mormon and we don't need any more Book of Mormon!" History shows us that new revelation always seems to be a challenge to those who rely on a book for their knowledge of God, to accept new scripture when it comes.

#15 Justice

Justice

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 3584 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

Wherefore the Lord hath commanded me to write them; and I have written them. And he commanded me that I should seal them up. (Ether 4:4-5; see 2 Nephi 27:7.)
[/INDENT]Moroni sealed up this portion of his record with instructions to the future translator, [COLOR=Blue]"And I have told you the things which I have sealed up; therefore touch them not in order that ye may translate; for that thing is forbidden you, except by and by it shall be wisdom in God" (Ether 5:1)..

Hmmm. I had always understood it as he sealed up the 24 Jaredite plates after he wrote what he was commanded to write.

Why would he write a portion of them down and then seal what he wrote? The Plates of Ether already contained anything he could have written and sealed. Why not just write what you're commanded then seal the original?

More pondering...

#16 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

It didn't contained it all probably due to space and time Ether had and noting the civic unrest in that land...this is why Moroni was able to have the same vision that was given to the Brother of Jared and write it. I still credit the Brother of Jared in any case since it was given to him that we are aware of. It is always possible any member in good standing to obtain this if they are worthy. But, would like to see every aspect of history from the beginning to the end? I don't...I had my fill of the end of time that wets my pillow at night. It is better left to those who can handle it and build the kingdom for the Savior instead.

#17 Justice

Justice

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 3584 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:19 AM

Justice, you give a great explanation, but do you know if the sealed portion will come forward before the 2nd coming? Do you know if any of the prophets have talked about the sealed portion or how the members will react to these works coming forward?

It sounds like Elder McConkie believes they will come forth during the Millennium.

It talks a little about how it has to happen:

Ether 4:
13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.
14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.
15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.
16 And then shall my revelations which I have caused to be written by my servant John be unfolded in the eyes of all the people. Remember, when ye see these things, ye shall know that the time is at hand that they shall be made manifest in very deed.

Parts of this make it sound as if it might be talking about a person by person basis. That these revelations may be given to man as each man comes forward and believes.

Yet, other parts make it sound as if there will be a revealing of these things to the people, or to the Church.

Maybe it's talking about both. Which, to me, means we don't have to wait until it's revealed to all... we can gain this knowledge for ourselves.

#18 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3731 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

The other portion was sealed, but don't you think Moroni gave Joseph some idea of what was on the plates? I'd be surprised if Joseph didn't know.

my wager is that the best insight we have on the sealed portion is Revelations in the bible.

Justice, you give a great explanation, but do you know if the sealed portion will come forward before the 2nd coming? Do you know if any of the prophets have talked about the sealed portion or how the members will react to these works coming forward?

If so that would depend on the rightiousness of the saints.

Maybe Thomas Monson is in Salt Lake right now translating with other members of the 1st Presidency, probably not, but it's fun to picture.

Hehe probably not but it would be fun to imagine ;)

#19 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 9149 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

These things are not sealed in the manner many think they are. Consider carefully the words of scripture posted by Hemidakota (post 13) from the Book of Mormon in Ether 4:

And in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are. And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ.

Note the part I underlined. It is not a matter of someone else being pure before the L-rd. The reason some thing is not known to you is because you are not sanctified before the L-rd. I do not say these things because I am more righteous than you but because those that do not know these things it is because they are not whole.

Let us all seek to strengthen one another by example.

The Traveler

#20 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm. I had always understood it as he sealed up the 24 Jaredite plates after he wrote what he was commanded to write.

Why would he write a portion of them down and then seal what he wrote? The Plates of Ether already contained anything he could have written and sealed. Why not just write what you're commanded then seal the original?

More pondering...

I went back to check my own posting for accuracy with Moroni's own statement. Here is what happened (See Ether 4:1-5):

1. And the Lord commanded the brother of Jared to go down out of the mount from the presence of the Lord, and write the things which he had seen; and they were forbidden to come unto the children of men until after that he should be lifted up upon the cross; and for this cause did King Mosiah keep them, that they should not come unto the world until after Christ should show himself unto his people.
2. And after Christ truly had showed himself unto his people he commanded that they should be made manifest.
3. And now, after that, they have all dwindled in unbelief; and there is none save it be the Lamanites, and they have rejected the gospel of Christ; therefore I am commanded that I should hide them up again in the earth.
4. Behold, I have written upon these plates the very things which the brother of Jared saw; and there never were greater things made manifest than those which were made manifest unto the brother of Jared
5. Wherefore the Lord hath commanded me to write them; and I have written them. And he commanded me that I should seal them up; and he also hath commanded that I should seal up the interpretation thereof; wherefore I have sealed up the interpreters, according to the commandment of the Lord.

We clearly see after brother of Jared left the mount, the Lord commanded him to write everything and was told not to reveal them until His resurrection and appearance in the Land of Bountiful (Temple Sermon – see 3rd Nephi). The records found were kept by King Mosiah as we already know.

The records did come forth and again were taken away when the Nephites dwindle in unbelief. Moroni hid the records as indicated by this action of the people and the fear of loosing them to the Lamanites.

Now, for the answer, verse 4 and 5 (bolded) states the obvious, it was Moroni who wrote of the things that Jared saw. Did he translated the brother of Jared writings to his own short-hand Egyptians language and thus, sealed the records, or through the Urim and Thummim, Moroni witnessed the same vision shown? This is based on using Joseph Smith’s example of receiving revelations with the Book of Moses via the UT (seer stones) type device. This is why I suspect the technique of seeing the vision was done using the UT vice translating.

This is also found in Ether 3:25-28 in commanding the brother of Jared to seal the records:

25 And when the Lord had said these words, he showed unto the brother of Jared all the inhabitants of the earth which had been, and also all that would be; and he withheld them not from his sight, even unto the ends of the earth.
26 For he had said unto him in times before, that if he would believe in him that he could show unto him all things—it should be shown unto him; therefore the Lord could not withhold anything from him, for he knew that the Lord could show him all things.
27 And the Lord said unto him: Write these things and seal them up; and I will show them in mine own due time unto the children of men.
28 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded him that he should seal up the two stones which he had received, and show them not, until the Lord should show them unto the children of men.

The connection between Nephi, Moroni, and Joseph is seen in See 2 Nephi 27:7, 11, 21-22 with the sealed portion of the plates.

If my postulation is correct, there is a set of records that were primarily written by this great prophet. What is in the sealed portion is nothing more than Moroni's writings.

Edited by Hemidakota, 06 July 2010 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq