• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Julie83402

Julie83402

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

One of my best friends is a single mom in her early 40's (as am I) and had a relationsip end with her boyfriend of 3 years. She is struggling and I'd like to be able to give her help and comfort. Does anyone have links to talks that deal with this? Or any suggestions in general? I'd really appreciate it.

#2 Hemidakota

Hemidakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 15447 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

Just be a listening ear...she needs some love for now.

#3 FairChild

FairChild

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Let her know it is OK for her to mourn her loss. Love her. Sneak in little kind acts of caring and love when you can. Listen.

#4 Julie83402

Julie83402

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Thank you for your replies, sometimes life can be so hard and I hate to see others hurting. This is something that will take time until it is bearable for her. I think the worst part of it is that she questions herself--asking what she did wrong and what is wrong with her....

#5 FairChild

FairChild

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Probably nothing is wrong with her. Nope, nothing at all. It isn't the right time nor was it the right person. That's all.

#6 MichaelCraig

MichaelCraig

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

I think the most valuable thing we can ever give another person, is our time. Just be there for her if or when she needs her spirits lifted up. Make it a point to check on her every now and then but not so much that it creates added stress. Just make sure she knows you are there for her if she needs to vent or talk. Time will take care of the rest. :)

#7 crazypotato

crazypotato

Banned

• Inactive with Posts
  • 439 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Maybe watch a chick flick together that is really sad and cry your eyes out together, and then go somewhere really fun where you can laugh like hyenas, like rollerskating or something ridiculous where you can laugh at yourselves falling all over.

#8 Guest_mirancs8_*

Guest_mirancs8_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

One of my best friends is a single mom in her early 40's (as am I) and had a relationsip end with her boyfriend of 3 years. She is struggling and I'd like to be able to give her help and comfort.

Does anyone have links to talks that deal with this? Or any suggestions in general?

I'd really appreciate it.

Nothing feels as bad at that moment when something like that happens in your life. Sometimes expected... sometimes not.

Lend her an ear like everyone else is saying. I'd say take her out of the house do something that you know she'll enjoy even if it's a few laps around the mall window shopping. Go have some ice cream and have a girly chit chat. Just be there for her.

#9 FairChild

FairChild

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

Getting lost in service can help. Serve others as well as providing good service for yourself. Eating healthy, sleeping as you should (getting enough, but not too much), exercise and just taking really good care of yourself. Also this is a time to let yourself have indulges that you normally wouldn't have. Go into a new (to you) restaurant and get a beverage, dessert or small item off of the menu, go to the park or walk in a different park that you might normally go to. Get some new hand lotion at the dollar store and enjoy the frangrance and the way your skin feels as you rub it in. While you are there, go look at the fun greeting cards. Slowly eat a really good piece of candy and let the flavor of it roll over your tounge. Take someone you wouldn't normally share time with and share these things with them. Spend extra time with your children. They are probably hurting too. I wish your friend the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq