Bishop calling you as ward executive secretary

EQ_Guy

In general, do you think a bishop would call someone as ward executive secretary and NOT like you?

And feel free to share anything about being ward exective secretary. :)

In general I have determined that no bishop can ever do anything to convince me that I should take his place. I do sustain and support my bishop. Also I have served in callings with others I did not really like all that much. I began to really understand this problem on my mission.

A bishop has enough to worry about - it is the executive secretary calling to insure that the bishop does not need to worry about the politics (if any) in the ward - even if they need to take the blame (because of politics).

The Traveler

Thanks for sharing that, but my question is do you think in general a bishop would call someone as ward executive secretary if he, bishop, didn't like the guy?

In general I have determined that no bishop can ever do anything to convince me that I should take his place. I do sustain and support my bishop. Also I have served in callings with others I did not really like all that much. I began to really understand this problem on my mission.

A bishop has enough to worry about - it is the executive secretary calling to insure that the bishop does not need to worry about the politics (if any) in the ward - even if they need to take the blame (because of politics).

The Traveler

Possibly, especially if he works on inspiration. I never really wondered if the Bishop like or dislikes me - he does his duty and I do mine, likes and dislikes don't really enter into it. My duty (as Ward Exec Sec) is to do whatever the Bishop needs me to do. In my case its; making his appointments and calling people to speak and pray in Sacrament meeting.

Every calling I have had has allowed me to grow, both temporally and spiritually.

In having a couple minutes to think about it, I neither really like nor really dislike my Bishop. He is a man trying to do the best he can in his calling but he is also human -- nevertheless I raised my hand to sustain him and I will. I also accepted his calling me to be W.E.S. and I will do the best I can at that.

What is W.E.S?

I make appointments and get people for opening and closing, but I'm also ordering things from LDSCatalog, updating the ward's website, etc. For me, it's easier to work with/for people that I get along with.

Thanks for your reply.

Possibly, especially if he works on inspiration. I never really wondered if the Bishop like or dislikes me - he does his duty and I do mine, likes and dislikes don't really enter into it. My duty (as Ward Exec Sec) is to do whatever the Bishop needs me to do. In my case its; making his appointments and calling people to speak and pray in Sacrament meeting.

Every calling I have had has allowed me to grow, both temporally and spiritually.

In having a couple minutes to think about it, I neither really like nor really dislike my Bishop. He is a man trying to do the best he can in his calling but he is also human -- nevertheless I raised my hand to sustain him and I will. I also accepted his calling me to be W.E.S. and I will do the best I can at that.

Good Bishops don't let personal feelings of disdain or "not liking" someone interfere with the Lord's work. Good Bishops may understand that they might have a personal issue with someone, but maturity demands they set it aside in order to forward the work of the kingdom.

In other words, the answer to your question is yes.

Maybe a good question back for you: Are you willing to serve, despite holding a perspective that someone you are working closely with might not like you?

LM

Back in the olden days when I served as Bishop, I had a WES that I didn't particularly care for, (I knew that he wasn't the best father and a poor excuse for a husband) but he was the one who the Lord wanted in that position and he served under three different Bishops. I never had to worry if folks would show for a meeting because he called every week to be certain they would be there.

Probably not the response you were looking for.

Thanks for sharing that, but my question is do you think in general a bishop would call someone as ward executive secretary if he, bishop, didn't like the guy?

A bishop is an officer within the Kingdom of G-d. The recommendation is that a bishop seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and not to just follow his personal opinion.

Just a personal note - you can learn to like any of G-d's children given the opportunity and insight from the Holy Ghost. I like the response of Apostle J. Golden Kimball when asked about a newly called Apostle that he did not like. He said something like, "The call must of have come from G-d himself - I do not know any man that would have done such a thing."

The Traveler

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the super-slow reply, I haven't logged onto this site in weeks. I'd work with someone that didn't like me. I wasn't saying my bishop doesn't though, it was just a question.

Good Bishops don't let personal feelings of disdain or "not liking" someone interfere with the Lord's work. Good Bishops may understand that they might have a personal issue with someone, but maturity demands they set it aside in order to forward the work of the kingdom.

In other words, the answer to your question is yes.

Maybe a good question back for you: Are you willing to serve, despite holding a perspective that someone you are working closely with might not like you?

LM