21 replies to this topic

#1 ChadTalbot

ChadTalbot

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

I know this is an oddball question, but would it be possible, or has anyone ever been married in the temple and sealed, but not been married civilly?

#2 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • 5483 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

the church requires you to be married according to the laws of the land before being sealed.

i don't have problems, i have issues
problems can be fixed, issues you just deal with

"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it.
The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be."
-Robert Fulghum

#3 confuzzled

confuzzled

• Registered Users
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Not sure if I understand the question but I was married in the temple....so I didn't have a "civil" marriage.

#4 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10211 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Do you mean sealed in the temple but not actually married, or do you mean married and sealed wat the same time without a civil marriage ceremony first?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#5 JThimm88

JThimm88

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Temple sealings are considered lawful marriages, as well as a sealing for all eternity, so basically it covers all bases here and in the afterlife. :) My husband and I were sealed and the officiator who sealed us not only has the authority to seal our marriage into eternity, but also has the right certifications/qualifications to also perform civil marriages outside of the temple if need be.

#6 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • 5483 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Not sure if I understand the question but I was married in the temple....so I didn't have a "civil" marriage.

but you were civilly married before the sealing ceremony so technically you were married before being sealed. to be civilly married all you need are the signatures of the ppl being married an a legally qualified witness on the marriage license. that marriage license is then sent back to the appropriate county officials and it's registered in their files with the date it was signed. you should have a marriage certificate from the county/state you were married in as well as a sealing certificate from the church.

when i married/sealed in the temple we went to the temple pres office, gave him the marriage license, living ordinance recommend, etc. he took a few min to review it all, called us back in and with the witnesses that were to attend the sealing present gave us the marriage license to sign. we did all the official legal stuff right there (he signed it after we did). looking back i really think it was all to casual in my opinion. once that was signed we went into the rest of the temple and did all the sealing stuff. so we were legally married before being sealed. it's really 2 different things if you break it down.

i don't have problems, i have issues
problems can be fixed, issues you just deal with

"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it.
The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be."
-Robert Fulghum

#7 JThimm88

JThimm88

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

but you were civilly married before the sealing ceremony so technically you were married before being sealed. to be civilly married all you need are the signatures of the ppl being married an a legally qualified witness on the marriage license. that marriage license is then sent back to the appropriate county officials and it's registered in their files with the date it was signed. you should have a marriage certificate from the county/state you were married in as well as a sealing certificate from the church.

when i married/sealed in the temple we went to the temple pres office, gave him the marriage license, living ordinance recommend, etc. he took a few min to review it all, called us back in and with the witnesses that were to attend the sealing present gave us the marriage license to sign. we did all the official legal stuff right there (he signed it after we did). looking back i really think it was all to casual in my opinion. once that was signed we went into the rest of the temple and did all the sealing stuff. so we were legally married before being sealed. it's really 2 different things if you break it down.

That is true -- I definitely forgot about the marriage license. Getting ours is an experience I'd like to keep out of my mind for a while -- we had to go to downtown Chicago with terrible traffic, and we almost couldn't find the office! ;)

#8 ChadTalbot

ChadTalbot

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

the church requires you to be married according to the laws of the land before being sealed.

That answers my question, which I apologize for because I really wasn't sure how to word it. I was wondering if you could be sealed by the church without being "married in the world."

I recently had a very big falling out with the bulk of my friends I had before joining the church, all over the wonderful prop 8. My personal view is that civil marriage is a joke. I can go pick up some stranger I've never met and hit a drive thru window in Vegas and drive away married. That doesn't constitute a sacred institution to me. So I started to wonder if you could be sealed by the church without having a civil marriage.

#9 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9648 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

It seems to me that back in the old days, people were getting sealed to people they weren't married to a lot. I have heard of stories of multiple people, both men and women, being sealed to Joseph Smith. I don't have references to that though, and don't feel the need to expend the energy to research it either. That practice has since gone away.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#10 ChadTalbot

ChadTalbot

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

and don't feel the need to expend the energy to research it either.

Didn't mean to disturbed you.

#11 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8336 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

It's ok, john doe is already disturbed.
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#12 Wingnut

Wingnut

• Members
  • 10211 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

It's ok, john doe is already disturbed.

This much is true.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#13 Guest_mormonmusic_*

Guest_mormonmusic_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I could see this happening this way. A man decides to get remarried, having split up with his wife a decade previously. He has a temple ceremony to the new wife that is both legal and recognized by the Church.

Later, the wife learns the man didn't divorce his previous wife. Therefore, the legality his new marriage is invalid. The Church doesn't know about this, and the man goes down in history on the records of the Church as having a temple marriage, when in fact his marriage isn't legal. He's married in the temple, but not civilly.

Edited by mormonmusic, 30 August 2010 - 03:24 PM.

#14 ChadTalbot

ChadTalbot

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

This isn't at all where I was going with this.

#15 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Registered Users
  • 2292 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Eternal marriage in Nauvoo temple is the only marriage I have. The officiator in the temple has all the legal authority to perform the ceremony according to the laws of the land(America). No other ceremony was performed.

#16 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9648 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

Didn't mean to disturbed you.

If it's something you wish to pursue, you could do a search on it, all by yourself.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#17 ChadTalbot

ChadTalbot

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:50 AM

If it's something you wish to pursue, you could do a search on it, all by yourself.

I will give you some insight into your wonderfully redneck signature that paints a less than flattering picture of the kind of person you are ...

Fascism and Nazism were both products of the economic destruction of Europe following the First World War and the power void caused by the same. While war was required to end them, it also brought them about. ...Not a big win.

I fail to see where communism has ever been ended by war. Despite 80 odd years of tension. The end of the Soviet Union was brought about through diplomacy and the failure of the communist system to keep up with the economic demands of the Capitalist systems. Moreover, the only time the US and Russia ever came to blows over the Communism was immediately following WWI and we failed to prevent the Bolsheviks from taking power. Also, Communism as a system continues to exist in varying degrees throughout the world.

Slavery was for the most part ended through acts of law. While the US did fight a Civil War, there were many contributing factors of which Slavery was only the lynch pin. The Emancipation Proclamation was not issued until 1863, two years after the beginning of the Civil War, and ended Slavery only in the states which had seceded. A means of Galvanizing the North which had become wary of fighting and as an attempt to undermine the South's economic system. Maryland, West Virginia and Delaware were permitted to keep their Slaves until the ratification of the 13th Amendment in 1865.

But, war HAS the solved the problem of too many people on the planet, too many stable families, too many dreams of better futures, too many natural resources and too many big huge weapons that we just have laying about. Though, I suppose that wouldn't make a very good bumper sticker.

But this is high school stuff. I went to college for aviation maintenance.

#18 MarginOfError

MarginOfError

Lord of the Gummi Snacks

• Members
  • 5828 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

I will give you some insight into your wonderfully redneck signature that paints a less than flattering picture of the kind of person you are ...

Fascism and Nazism were both products of the economic destruction of Europe following the First World War and the power void caused by the same. While war was required to end them, it also brought them about. ...Not a big win.

I fail to see where communism has ever been ended by war. Despite 80 odd years of tension. The end of the Soviet Union was brought about through diplomacy and the failure of the communist system to keep up with the economic demands of the Capitalist systems. Moreover, the only time the US and Russia ever came to blows over the Communism was immediately following WWI and we failed to prevent the Bolsheviks from taking power. Also, Communism as a system continues to exist in varying degrees throughout the world.

Slavery was for the most part ended through acts of law. While the US did fight a Civil War, there were many contributing factors of which Slavery was only the lynch pin. The Emancipation Proclamation was not issued until 1863, two years after the beginning of the Civil War, and ended Slavery only in the states which had seceded. A means of Galvanizing the North which had become wary of fighting and as an attempt to undermine the South's economic system. Maryland, West Virginia and Delaware were permitted to keep their Slaves until the ratification of the 13th Amendment in 1865.

But, war HAS the solved the problem of too many people on the planet, too many stable families, too many dreams of better futures, too many natural resources and too many big huge weapons that we just have laying about. Though, I suppose that wouldn't make a very good bumper sticker.

Yup, you're right...we've really strayed from the topic you originally presented. :)

Dude. When both Vort and MOE are in agreement, the thinking has been done. :D

Uncommon Dissent

#19 Wingnut

Wingnut

• Members
  • 10211 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:28 AM

Our bad. I guess you're much better than us, then.

#20 ChadTalbot

ChadTalbot

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

Our bad. I guess you're much better than us, then.

No I just don't like people going out of their way to be condescending to new members and converts who ask simple questions. Then the local groupies like yourself who rally behind him, yeah I'm the one whose wrong here.

I mean if a new convert raised their hand in Gospel Principles and asked the same question I did and the teacher gave the response that your redneck moderator did, would you sit there and be all "oh that's old whats-his-face, he's disturbed, yuck yuck" But whatever.

Hey Cletus you can go ahead and delete my account. I've gotten all I want to from this place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq