Girl Scouts Of Amercia + Lds Church

mountainrider

I was a Girl Scout, and the thing I remember is that there was a lot of things about choosing a career path, but in the end, it's up to the individual to decide what to do with her life. If that meant that someone chooses to be a SAHM, that's perfectly fine. As far as I know, there's still the phrase of serving God and mankind in the Promise, even if troops aren't sponsored by churches. The majority of girls in my troop went to church as well as Scouts, and most of us quit when we were out of elementary school for various reasons, which was the norm in my area.

My brother was a Cub Scout in a den that was sponsored at the public elementary school, but he didn't enjoy it so he was allowed to quit after it was obvious he didn't enjoy it. He preferred the YMCA's Indian Guides organization to Boy Scouts, so he stayed in that until he was out of high school.

Mom,

Disney has the same program s and I won't support them either.............

I've been a proud member of the Mickey Mouse Club since I was a youngster.

Whose the leader of the Club that's made for you and me?

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

(For what it is worth, Mickey might frown on the sin, but does not cast out the sinner.)

I was just released as Scout Master and had a great experience my three and a half years. That being said, Scouts has sadly become dated in the eyes of much of the youth.....at least the older youth. I live in Florida and we competed with every sport imaginable..baseball, basketball, football, wrestling, soccer (is that a sport?) Oh and in the south, baseball is year round.

Little or no parental support and a general lack of interest after about 13 is a real struggle. Once a young man "earns" Eagle...he becomes rapidly disinterested. Then the two fumes take over...car fumes and perfume. I wish the Scout program would complete by 14 and a new program unrelated to Scouting would begin. I guess in theory that could be Duty to God and yeah, I know, some units have Venture Programs, which can be pretty cool because they are co-ed and involve more adventurous activities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Although I am not positive about this, my best guess from my research is that funding for the Girl Scouts comes mainly from corporations. I don't know that religious organizations are not allowed to charter GS troops, but they don't pursue it very actively. Boy Scouts, on the other hand, is mainly chartered by religious organizations. So, perhaps the reason the LDS Church has not historically chartered Girl Scouts is that GSUSA has never associated themselves strongly with any religious organization. Perhaps they have never desired such an association. This is not to say Girl Scouts is bad, just that there has never been a religious tie like there is in Boy Scouts. If anyone has better information, I will accept any corrections.