Question about male/female ratio in the LDS church

Hi,

I was wondering what the male/female ratio was in the LDS church. I have heard that the other mainline churches in the USA were having issues attracting and maintaining male churchgoers. I think there is even a book out now called Why Men Hate Church. I have noticed that the religious people I have known over the years tended to be women. (Not always, but more often than not) Why that is, I really have no idea. Only thing I could figure was maybe christian churches cater more to women than men. I remember having a discussion with a buddy of mine who had a pastor for a father. (Think it might have been episcopalian. No idea...) Anyway, it seemed like alot of the programs they offered mostly catered to women. Day care, education, etc...And the constant focus on forgiveness, humility, etc. Not trying to say those things are bad, alot of people could use a good dose of humility, but the constant focus on those values I would think would drive alot of the more masculine guys away. I remember reading the whole bible as a kid, and I have to admit, Jesus was a cool guy, but hearing about the warfare in the old testament and all the chaos and mayhem was way cooler to read about. I suggested to my buddy to tell his dad to have a service followed by either a call of duty or halo reach tournament, but he said no go. Anyway, I was curious if the LDS church has the same issue. Thanks!

DEMOGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTICS GENDER RATIOS. LDS gender ratios are similar to those of national populations, except they are also greatly influenced by the conversion process. In most populations, there are slightly more male than female births, but males experience a higher mortality rate, such that females predominate at older ages. It can be problematic within the Church if gender ratios in certain areas are substantially unequal, since Latter-day Saints are encouraged to marry within their own faith and because a majority of higher-level leadership positions are not available to women, who do not hold the priesthood required to fill these positions (see Men, Roles of; Single Adults; Women, Roles of: Gospel Principles and the Roles of Women). The ratio of males to females for geographic areas is shown in Figure 11. Africa is unusual because there are substantially more men than women who are members of the Church. This indicates that African men are more likely to be converted than are African women. Latter-day Saints in Utah, other western states, and the South Pacific have gender ratios of approximately 95 males per 100 females, which is the value for the total U.S. population. Ratios in the Church are somewhat below the U.S. average in the eastern United States, Canada, and Asia, and females outnumber males by a large margin in Latin America and Europe.

Information from the 1981 Church Membership Survey of the United States and Canada indicates that gender ratios become smaller for older age groups, for singles, and for those who attend church regularly (Goodman and Heaton). For example, among singles over age 30 who attend church weekly, there are only 19 men for every 100 women.

From http://www.lds.net/forums/learn-about-mormon-church/36594-question-about-male-female-ratio-lds-church.html

LDS is taught that man needs woman and woman needs man to gain celestial glory...