Photo
- - - - -

What Are The Rules God Wants Us To Follow?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lines

lines

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

There are certain behaviors God wants us to avoid and there are certain behaviors God wants us to engage in. What are the fundamental rules God wants us to follow?

#2 slamjet

slamjet

Señor Grumpy

• Members
  • 3978 posts
  • LocationTHE City of Angels

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

Love God. Love our neighbors. Everything else is an appendage to that.
SLAMJET HAS A BLOG!!!
www.reconverted.org

416570_399063776775877_852125432_o_zpsfc

#3 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 9100 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

There are certain behaviors God wants us to avoid and there are certain behaviors God wants us to engage in. What are the fundamental rules God wants us to follow?

I will attempt to respond to your question in a manner a 4 year old (according to your personal profile) might understand. G-d is our Father in heaven and he would teach us to be like him.

The Traveler

#4 LDSChristian

LDSChristian

• Inactive 3+ Years
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

Rule 1: "If ye love me, keep my commandments." Enough said.

#5 spamlds

spamlds

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

Read the scriptures. They answer your question more completely than anything else. Then do what the scripture tell you to do. Live your life the way they teach you to. If you are faithful in doing that, you won't need to worry!

#6 lines

lines

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

I will attempt to respond to your question in a manner a 4 year old (according to your personal profile) might understand. G-d is our Father in heaven and he would teach us to be like him.

The Traveler

When I signed up I didnt pay attention to what birth-date I put because I felt that question was somewhat invasive but I just altered it to my real date year. I am not 4 years old.

#7 lines

lines

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Rule 1: "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
Enough said.

What are the commandments? I can think of the ten commandments, I can think of the word of wisdom, and I can think of the law of chastity. I can also think of the prohibition against homosexuality and the prohibition against blasphemy.

Are there any others?

Does anyone disagree with any of these?

#8 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 13092 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

What are the commandments? I can think of the ten commandments, I can think of the word of wisdom, and I can think of the law of chastity. I can also think of the prohibition against homosexuality and the prohibition against blasphemy.

Are there any others?

I'm sure someone somewhere does. Are you saying then that you are looking for a comprehensive listing of every known commandment without any broad groupings (I'm thinking Love thy Neighbour and Love the Lord thy God).
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#9 LDSChristian

LDSChristian

• Inactive 3+ Years
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Are there any others?

The ones we've been given and the ones to come. Seeing how this doesn't seem to be the last day on earth, it's safe to guess we'll have at least one more commandment before Christ comes back. And obviously the list is longer than what you put since He also said to not swear and you didn't mention that. If you want to list every single individual commandment please feel free to do so although I read the scriptures, therefore, I know what needs to be done. That's why we have the scriptures so we know how to come unto Christ and what He's commanded us to do. Besides, in case you forgot there was a whole other portion of the golden plates that wasn't translated. I have a strong feeling the golden plates will make their presence known once again one day so that sealed portion can be translated and reveal other commandments the Lord has given.

Edited by LDSChristian, 24 January 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#10 lines

lines

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

I'm sure someone somewhere does. Are you saying then that you are looking for a comprehensive listing of every known commandment without any broad groupings (I'm thinking Love thy Neighbour and Love the Lord thy God).

The love thy neighbor is a wonderful and very good commandment.

I am not looking for a comprehensive list of every known commandment but if someone wants to provide that then I think that is good.

What I am asking for is a set of guidelines of specific behaviors which help a person behave in a moral way.

Love thy neighbor is a very important commandment and it is an example of a specific one.

If any other commandment comes to mind or if someone can think of a number of commandments they feel are worth bringing up then I think we would all be happy to see that posted.

Another thing that would be helpful if someone wanted to list any ethical guidelines they have arrived at that was either independent of scripture or inspired by scripture, any ethical guidelines that aren't specifically commandments are welcome to be mentioned too.

#11 NeuroTypical

NeuroTypical

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 7454 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Love God.
Love our neighbors.

Everything else is an appendage to that.

Slamjet pretty much nailed it. The only thing I can add, is that it's important to know what love is and what it isn't.

But yeah, he nailed it.
If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack, to sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

Ohhh....
If I were a rich man...

#12 lines

lines

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

Slamjet pretty much nailed it. The only thing I can add, is that it's important to know what love is and what it isn't.

What is love and what is not love?

I can provide a scripture that says what love is... does anyone else have any ideas about this or answers to this?

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 Corinthians 13 - Passage Lookup - New International Version, ©2010 - BibleGateway.com

#13 bytebear

bytebear

• Members
  • 2351 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

The only thing I can add is that once you are ready to keep God's commandments, he invites you to covenant with him via baptism. I suppose you can research the baptismal interview. But it's not really a list of commandments, but rather a guide to make sure you understand the expectations, and to show to the church that you have repented of your sins and are ready to make the covenant. Same thing with the temple interview.

#14 Nathan6329

Nathan6329

Banned

• Banned
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

not to spit on the sidewalk

#15 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3659 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

The love thy neighbor is a wonderful and very good commandment.

I am not looking for a comprehensive list of every known commandment but if someone wants to provide that then I think that is good.

What I am asking for is a set of guidelines of specific behaviors which help a person behave in a moral way.

Love thy neighbor is a very important commandment and it is an example of a specific one.

If any other commandment comes to mind or if someone can think of a number of commandments they feel are worth bringing up then I think we would all be happy to see that posted.

Another thing that would be helpful if someone wanted to list any ethical guidelines they have arrived at that was either independent of scripture or inspired by scripture, any ethical guidelines that aren't specifically commandments are welcome to be mentioned too.

I find exodus, leviticus, deuteronomy, and numbers to have really specific cut and dry guidelines, if you want to focus on specific behaviours.

to paraphrase CHrist, there are numberless ways to sin so if one wanted a specific do this/don't do this list it would be the worlds biggest book...
Ultimately this became a stumbling block for many of the jews; they got caught so much up in the minute things that they missed the bigger things.

Edited by Blackmarch, 27 January 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#16 slamjet

slamjet

Señor Grumpy

• Members
  • 3978 posts
  • LocationTHE City of Angels

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm not 100% sure what you are driving at, but it seems that you want something highly specific and complicated because God's commandments can't be that simple; there has to be more. I thought that way and I found I was wrong. It is simple.

Luke 6:27 - 38
27. But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28. Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

30. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

31. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

32. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

33. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

34. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

35. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and blend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

36. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

37. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

38. Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

There really isn't much more than this. Understand and learn to live this will be more well with us than any other commandment we could come up with.
SLAMJET HAS A BLOG!!!
www.reconverted.org

416570_399063776775877_852125432_o_zpsfc

#17 Copperboat

Copperboat

• Inactive 3+ Years
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

My favourite commandment is - Be good! I suspect most people have a pretty clear idea of what is right or wrong. Unfortunately we often chose to ignore the good when it is inconvenient. The Scriptures are packed with advice but even the Lord Himself saw fit to simplify things and cut straight to the point - Love God (ie do what God wants you to do), and Love thy neighbour (be nice to other people and look out for them).

#18 Guest_LDS_Guy_1986_*

Guest_LDS_Guy_1986_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

Slam Jet hit the nail on the head. "And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth:" (Mark 12:28-32) All other commandments are contained in this simple teaching of Jesus Christ! This is one of my favorite Bible scriptures!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq