• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 mom m

mom m

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:01 PM

We have been married 28 years, my husband is a High Priest, we have raised a beautiful family and I would never have imagined this could have happened to us. I am disabled and use several prescription drugs to manage pain and other conditions. My husband has been stealing my pain medicines. When I caught him and confronted him and asked him to get help he went to the doctor and got his own prescription for Vicodin, he said his back hurt. He will take a 30 day supply in just a few days then go right back to searching the house for my medicine to steal. He lies to me about how much Vicodin he takes, he makes promises that he will never take my medicine again. He sees what happens to me when I run out of medicine early because he took so much and I am in agony for days until I can refill my medicine again, and yet he is right back to taking my medicine again. I am sick of constantly hiding my medicine so he can not find it and then I get up to go to the bathroom and come back and find him going through my medicine trying to find the morphine. I love and respect my husband. He is the head of our household and my priesthood leader, but I am also so disappointed in him and I feel betrayed by the lack of compassion he has for me that he would see me suffer so much and still steal the medicine I need. I feel betrayed by his lack of honesty and I don't know what to do. He refuses to go to counseling. I need your advice.

#2 Dr T

Dr T

• Members
  • 17522 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

I know he does not want to but I would still recommend going to see a Drug and Alcohol Counselor for an assessment. I would be firm in seeking an assessment that delineates between abuse and dependence. This will assist in understanding what treatment modality is needed at this time. Those medications are very addictive and withdrawal is very difficult (as you probably experienced). He may need a medical detoxification (in a hospital or at least a medically supervised detox center). Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Here is a link http://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/ that helps you locate a treatment facility. Just input the city and then check the necessary fields.

Hope that helps (some)

Dr. T
To base thought only on speech is to try nailing whispers to the wall. Writing freezes thought and offers it up for inspection Jack Rosenthal

#3 Guest_MrsS_*

Guest_MrsS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

I would tell my Dr. what is happening. Let him confront your husband. That just may jolt him into getting the help that he needs. IF your husband confronts you about it, then tell him you are going to the Bishop to get the help you need to help him. It is called Tough Love. If you don't do something now, he could become worse and start stealing to get the drugs. He is disobeying the Word of Wisdom you know. He is abusing drugs. Follow through too. If you don't, then he will continue to steal and lie. Good luck to you and to him.

#4 mom_of_jcchlsm

mom_of_jcchlsm

• Inactive with Posts
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

Do you have a trusted friend or neighbor who could keep your meds for you? Could they bring over just one day's dose at a time for you when your husband is out of the house? That way, even if he finds and takes what's in the house, it's not more than a day before you get more. Yes, he needs help, but in the first place, you need your meds and you need to find a way to keep them safely out of his hands.
Happy & Busy Mom of one basketball player, one artist, one soccer player, one ballerina, one horse lover, one sweet toddler & one handsome baby

#5 Guest_funkyfool_*

Guest_funkyfool_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:50 PM

drug addiction is a bad thing. perscription or not. 'cept sometimes it makes you feel good..then its not a bad thing. I think taht it is ok to do drugs if you dont need them as long as you dont get addicted. They really can help you out if you arent dependent upon them

#6 Laureltree

Laureltree

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • 3201 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

Mom, There are allot of good people, and good advice....I would contact the Dr, your bishop ( who can help get free thearpy) Try putting them under your dresser in the corner, they are harder to see..... LaurelTree
Look at what you have today, dont seek after tomorrow. :)

www.YouGotChemistry.com

#7 Palerider

Palerider

I don\'t own a horse-Senior Member

• Members
  • 18287 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

Mom,
There are allot of good people, and good advice....I would contact the Dr, your bishop ( who can help get free thearpy) Try putting them under your dresser in the corner, they are harder to see.....
LaurelTree
[/b]

I second what LT just said......get to your Bishop.....he can help.....trust me!!!
As Long As I Am Here......It Doesn't Matter Where Here Is.....

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them....Ronald Reagan

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.......Will Rogers

#8 mom m

mom m

• Inactive with Posts
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Thank you all so much for your advice, it was just what I needed to hear to get me off the fence and into action. My waiting was not doing him any favors. I understand now what I think I knew all along, it is time to get us the help we need weather he wants it or not. Thank you all again for the dose of courage.

#9 thebomb7652000

thebomb7652000

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:03 AM

If you have to get you a safe and store your pills in it that will keep him out of your pills. :twocents:
Dont die till you have had the chance to live.

It is only funny till someone gets hurt, then it is hilarious

#10 StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 7706 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

I just read this for the first time today. I know people who become addicted to these pain killers and will do almost anything to get them including stealing. I am happy that you have decided to get him the help he needs. I wish you the best of luck and my prayers are with you both.
We are all being watched.... StrawberryFields

#11 lisajo

lisajo

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:01 PM

Please get help for him now! i lost my brother from this, he was living with my parents and going threw a nasty devorce ..... had surgery for a tummor and the doc just kept perscribing do to migrains etc. then he started taking them from my mom ..........dad locked them up but it did no good he just went to the web and other places, it caught up with him he became sick and the doc. perscribed cough med. with codine and he mixed it with oxycotton (sorry bad spelling) and it killed him, ( he over dosed on both) Please please do something NOW! everyone in my family kept saying it was something he would get threw, and he didn't Much love Lisa Jo
Well Sinead O' Rebellion. Shock me shock me shock me with that deviant behavior!

(Empire Records)

#12 jackbeckman

jackbeckman

• Inactive with Posts
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

We have been married 28 years, my husband is a High Priest, we have raised a beautiful family and I would never have imagined this could have happened to us. I am disabled and use several prescription drugs to manage pain and other conditions. My husband has been stealing my pain medicines.
When I caught him and confronted him and asked him to get help he went to the doctor and got his own prescription for Vicodin, he said his back hurt. He will take a 30 day supply in just a few days then go right back to searching the house for my medicine to steal. He lies to me about how much Vicodin he takes, he makes promises that he will never take my medicine again. He sees what happens to me when I run out of medicine early because he took so much and I am in agony for days until I can refill my medicine again, and yet he is right back to taking my medicine again.
I am sick of constantly hiding my medicine so he can not find it and then I get up to go to the bathroom and come back and find him going through my medicine trying to find the morphine.
I love and respect my husband. He is the head of our household and my priesthood leader, but I am also so disappointed in him and I feel betrayed by the lack of compassion he has for me that he would see me suffer so much and still steal the medicine I need. I feel betrayed by his lack of honesty and I don't know what to do. He refuses to go to counseling.

I need your advice.
[/b]

If he is addicted, then the drug is doing his thinking for him. You cite a lack of compassion, but if he is addicted, then compassion is the farthest thing from his drug-addled mind. You must get him help!!! He can't buck this gorilla off, it will stay on his back until it kills him. Tell your Bishop, your doctor, your children, whoever you can get to help you get this taken care of. He will lose this battle without help. Your lives will be so much better when this is taken care of.

#13 Guest_Monica_*

Guest_Monica_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

You need to call his doctor asap and discuss this with him/her. Some medications can not be stopped cold turkey, because the results can be life threatening. If he is still having back problems, there may be a worse physical problem that have not been diagnosed. If he is addicted, then he will need to be detoxed under a doctors advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq