LDS Scriptures for the Kindle

funkmasterjs

I can't give a suggestion, but just the other day I was thinking of purchasing a Kindle as a gift and was going to populate it with LDS scriptures. I looked around amazon, but all of the reviews were rather half-hearted; there seemed to be problems with all of them. You might look around the reviews and see if the issues are those you can live with. It's one thing to buy it for yourself, another to give as a gift.

I got a scriptures app for my iPad which works for my purposes, but I've seen better if one is willing to pay a lot of money for them (for an app). I wasn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for Kindle scriptures? Maybe there is not a lot of choice out there, but if I buy a set of scriptures, I want to get the best available. Thanks.

Looking at Amazon.com there are kindle versions of the Scriptures (and some additional works like Jesus the Christ). Can't vouch any for quality. Is Kindle limited to just PDF and Kindle?

Looking at Amazon.com there are kindle versions of the Scriptures (and some additional works like Jesus the Christ). Can't vouch any for quality. Is Kindle limited to just PDF and Kindle?

Yes. Do not get the pdf scriptures. I got this one: Amazon.com: LDS Scriptures eBook: Joseph Smith: Kindle Store

I also got the Hymns and Children's Songbook for $4.99.

I just got my Kindle and so far I have only downloaded the free books, and purchased these two items.

I have read three of my books, got 16 of them, and so far I am very happy with my Kindle. I really like the fact that I can toss it into my purse, and read a book anywhere- and I don't have to worry about smashing the pages, or losing my place or getting the book wet/smeared with stuff.

Edited by Iggy

I have the same one as Iggy, and it should have the Hymns and Children's Songbook right on it. Here is the list of the entire content.

Included Content:

Standard Works:

• Old Testament

• New Testament

• Book of Mormon

• Doctrine & Covenants

• Pearl of Great Price

Study Helps:

• Bible Dictionary

• Topical Guide

• Guide to the Scriptures

• Index to the Triple Combination

Songs:

• Hymns (includes optional verses)

• Children's Songbook (includes actions)

Resources:

• LDS Gems, Inspiration Quotes (over 150 topics)

• Faith in God (Girls & Boys)

• For the Strength of Youth

• True to the Faith

• Guidebook for Parents and Leaders of Youth

• Priesthood and Auxiliary Leaders' Guidebook

• Family Guidebook

• Addiction Recovery Program

• Strengthening Marriage

• Strengthening the Family

Misc.:

• Family Proclamation

• The Living Christ

• Lectures on Faith

So it's quite loaded with some great stuff. Really, the only thing it doesn't have is the footnotes. Regardless, i've been generally happy with it.

Thanks Connie.

I should have read the description better- The Lectures look interesting. Husband might be interested in those.

My only problem is navigating within the book- guess I should read the Kindle directions and probably download them to my computer so I can print them off and keep them with my kindle.

• 3 weeks later...

My hubby found a different edition and put it on his kindle. This edition has all the footnotes and the index and topical guides are hyperlinked (unlike the other edition). It also has more content (scroll down in the link to see a list of all content). And everything, so far as we have been able to tell, is hyperlinked with the scriptures. For example, in the Hymns you can scroll down to the scriptural references at the bottom of a hymn and be able to click on them to go to that scripture.

So anyway just wanted to throw that out there as a potentially better edition that is available for the exact same price as the other one. I have yet to put it on my kindle, but hubby is really loving it. Due to the size of the file it does take longer to download and index properly, but that's how the other one was too.

• 5 months later...

I've just been informed that the link on my previous post no longer works. So i am posting this update for anyone who may be interested.

It looks like Amazon is no longer selling that version but i did find it here: Mobipocket eBook: "LDS eLibrary for Blackberry, Cybook, ILiad, and other Dedicated Devices - LDS Standard Works, Commentary, Manuals, History, Biography, Reference, Music and More" by Various

It's more expensive than the other version at this site.

I have the whole standard works in .rtf format including the book Jesus The Christ. The files are not under any copyright to prevent copies from being distributed. If anyone wants the files just let me know by personal message or in any other way on the forums.

• 3 months later...

I've just been informed that the link on my previous post no longer works. So i am posting this update for anyone who may be interested.

It looks like Amazon is no longer selling that version but i did find it here: Mobipocket eBook: "LDS eLibrary for Blackberry, Cybook, ILiad, and other Dedicated Devices - LDS Standard Works, Commentary, Manuals, History, Biography, Reference, Music and More" by Various

It's more expensive than the other version at this site.

Thanks for posting this.

I have just ordered the new Amazon Kindle, basically for carrying my Scriptures around.

I note that it is also downloadable from that link for Windows PC too - which will be very usefuk, so thank you very much!

There are BoM ebooks on the Kindle store that are free, and it made a difference in how we read our scriptures since in one instance each passage is separated by a line.

Now we've all got tablets, but it helped when we were all using our Kindles. They can be amazing tools.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm looking for the scriptures for my new kindle touch ... scriptures with linked footnotes, the index, bible dictionary -- you know, the usual scriptures we all know and love ...

how come the church does not publish / sell (i'm willing to pay) any scriptures for the kindle ... i'm stymied ....

darlene

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a very readable version for Kindle. It's listed as "LDS TRIPLE COMBINATION (Premium Kindle Edition): Book of Mormon | Doctrine and Covenants | Pearl of Great Price - CONTAINS FULL CHAPTER HEADINGS (ILLUSTRATED) (Latter Day Saints LDS)." It was one of the only versions with very favorable reviews.