Joseph Smith and New York Destruction prophecy

LDSChristian

I remember my Mom saying something about it after reading a book ..... was it or a book written during the late 70's there were lots of books written

Yea I think that's what I was talking about. The persecutors. Not the city.

He was literally eaten alive by wo rms. H is eye balls had fallen ou t, the flesh on his cheeks and

neck had fall en o ff, and though he could breathe he could take nourishment only throu gh an

opening in his throat.

Pieces of flesh as large as two hands had reputedly fallen from different parts of his body. 7

http://www.mormonismi.net/pdf/kosto1poulsen.pdf

You should read this. How some of the persecutors died is crazy.

D&c 84:114-115

Ahh. Thanks. I knew I saw it somewhere although it wasn't in D&C where I found it.

114 Nevertheless, let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things.

115 For if they do reject these things the hour of their judgment is nigh, and their house shall be left unto them desolate.

While you stand in the towers of the Temple and your eyes survey this glorious valley filled with cities and villages, occupied by tens and thousands of Latter-day Saints, you will then call to mind this visitation of President Young and his company. You will say: That was in the days when Presidents Benson and Maughan presided over us; that was before New York was destroyed by an earthquake. It was before Boston was swept into the sea, by the sea heaving itself beyond its bounds; it was before Albany was destroyed by fire; yea at that time you will remember the scenes of this day. Treasure them up and forget them not. President Young followed and said: 'What Brother Woodruff has said is revelation and will be fulfilled'. -Wilford Woodruff

He was literally eaten alive by wo rms. H is eye balls had fallen ou t, the flesh on his cheeks and

neck had fall en o ff, and though he could breathe he could take nourishment only throu gh an

opening in his throat.

Pieces of flesh as large as two hands had reputedly fallen from different parts of his body. 7

http://www.mormonismi.net/pdf/kosto1poulsen.pdf

You should read this. How some of the persecutors died is crazy.

You should listen to some experts on the topic of mormon myths. http://radio.lds.org/eng/programs/legacy-episode-39

Ahh. Thanks. I knew I saw it somewhere although it wasn't in D&C where I found it.

114 Nevertheless, let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things.

115 For if they do reject these things the hour of their judgment is nigh, and their house shall be left unto them desolate.

luckily all of them have not rejected the gospel.

So did Jerusalem...

The gathering is still going on, and we shouldn't look forward to the destruction of these cities. I'm sure there will be a quiet call to those that are willing to listen to get out before it hits, much as the Lord warned the inhabitants thru Noah of what was to come unless they repented. And who knows? Perhaps a Jonah will rise up (or be upchucked up) and call them to repentance and they'll listen. Fortunately, NYC, Albany and Boston have NOTHING on Ninevah and the brutality of those folks.

Although my taxes support the cesspool that is Albany and NYC...so maybe they ARE as brutal as this Ninevites!

I think I read somewhere that the "prophecy" Wilford Woodruff wrote down in his journal was just something that was being passed around (kind of like chain e-mails). I'll see if I can find a reference.

OK, I found the reference. From here: 11. “John the Revelatorâ€: The Written Revelations of John Taylor | Religious Studies Center

In addition to these purported visions and alleged revelation [of John Taylor], there are at least two documents attributed to John Taylor that are most certainly not genuine, one dated December 16, 1877, and another that surfaced in 1951. [footnote: The first contested document is an apocalyptic vision, dated December 16, 1877, that reads like a biblical apocalyptic prophecy. A copy is found in Wilford Woodruff’s journal, recorded on June 15, 1878. It predicts the destruction of many major U.S. cities and includes a reference to plural marriage, explaining that after the destruction of those cities and the establishment of the kingdom of God, Isaiah’s prophecy that “seven women shall take hold of one man” would be fulfilled (see Wilford Woodruff Journal, June 15, 1878; as cited in Kenney, Wilford Woodruff’s Journals, 7:419–23). The second alleged vision is another apocalyptic vision attributed to John Taylor circulated widely in the 1950s and 1960s among Church members in the United States and Canada, commonly known as the “Horseshoe Prophecy” (not to be confused with the equally famous “White Horse Prophecy”). Edward Lunt, a lay member of the Church, originated this particular report in 1951 from information he claimed his mother shared with him nearly fifty years earlier. According to this late recollection, President Taylor stayed with the Lunt family during a weekend trip to Cedar City, Utah. One afternoon, according to Lunt, John Taylor retired to his room to rest but soon after returned to the kitchen and related to Lunt’s mother a vision he had just experienced (Edward Lunt, “A Remarkable Prophecy by President John Taylor,” June 29, 1951, L. Tom Perry Special Collections).

Joseph Smith prophesied New York would be destroyed. Did anyone think about that considering the World Trade Center, a central focus of New York, was destroyed?

The World Trade Center is DEFINITELY not what is being referenced here. When it is said that New York will be destroyed it is going to be far worse than 9/11. By the way, 9/11 was not God's doing if some here think it was or possibly could have been.

The World Trade Center is DEFINITELY not what is being referenced here. When it is said that New York will be destroyed it is going to be far worse than 9/11. By the way, 9/11 was not God's doing if some here think it was or possibly could have been.

I'm pretty sure it means more than just one building, or even three.

It was no more God's doing than it was God's doing that the lamanites would persecute the nephites.

Did God inspire someone to go blow themselves up? no. Did God remove his protection to some extent? Quite a bit more likely.

However for us it is to acknowledge God's hands in all things... somehow, someway.