Joseph Smith and New York Destruction prophecy

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 sixpacktr

sixpacktr

• Members
  • 1416 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:47 AM

So did Jerusalem... The gathering is still going on, and we shouldn't look forward to the destruction of these cities. I'm sure there will be a quiet call to those that are willing to listen to get out before it hits, much as the Lord warned the inhabitants thru Noah of what was to come unless they repented. And who knows? Perhaps a Jonah will rise up (or be upchucked up) and call them to repentance and they'll listen. Fortunately, NYC, Albany and Boston have NOTHING on Ninevah and the brutality of those folks. Although my taxes support the cesspool that is Albany and NYC...so maybe they ARE as brutal as this Ninevites!

That would not be difficult to express. I found most helpful to me was going to my knees thanking my HF for life, for experience, for my family, and then directly asking him to go before my face, to be on my right hand, to be on my left hand, and his spirit in my heart, and his angels round about me to bear me up. --Thomas S. Monson, Feb 4 2008 News conference upon becoming President of the LDS church.

The Two Enemies Of The People Are Criminals And Government, So Let Us Tie The Second Down With The Chains Of The Constitution, So The Second Will Not Become The Legalized Version Of The First
Thomas Jefferson

#22 mapman

mapman

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

I think I read somewhere that the "prophecy" Wilford Woodruff wrote down in his journal was just something that was being passed around (kind of like chain e-mails). I'll see if I can find a reference.

OK, I found the reference. From here: 11. “John the Revelator”: The Written Revelations of John Taylor | Religious Studies Center

In addition to these purported visions and alleged revelation [of John Taylor], there are at least two documents attributed to John Taylor that are most certainly not genuine, one dated December 16, 1877, and another that surfaced in 1951. [footnote: The first contested document is an apocalyptic vision, dated December 16, 1877, that reads like a biblical apocalyptic prophecy. A copy is found in Wilford Woodruff’s journal, recorded on June 15, 1878. It predicts the destruction of many major U.S. cities and includes a reference to plural marriage, explaining that after the destruction of those cities and the establishment of the kingdom of God, Isaiah’s prophecy that “seven women shall take hold of one man” would be fulfilled (see Wilford Woodruff Journal, June 15, 1878; as cited in Kenney, Wilford Woodruff’s Journals, 7:419–23). The second alleged vision is another apocalyptic vision attributed to John Taylor circulated widely in the 1950s and 1960s among Church members in the United States and Canada, commonly known as the “Horseshoe Prophecy” (not to be confused with the equally famous “White Horse Prophecy”). Edward Lunt, a lay member of the Church, originated this particular report in 1951 from information he claimed his mother shared with him nearly fifty years earlier. According to this late recollection, President Taylor stayed with the Lunt family during a weekend trip to Cedar City, Utah. One afternoon, according to Lunt, John Taylor retired to his room to rest but soon after returned to the kitchen and related to Lunt’s mother a vision he had just experienced (Edward Lunt, “A Remarkable Prophecy by President John Taylor,” June 29, 1951, L. Tom Perry Special Collections).

#23 AGStacker

AGStacker

Banned

• Banned
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Joseph Smith prophesied New York would be destroyed. Did anyone think about that considering the World Trade Center, a central focus of New York, was destroyed?

The World Trade Center is DEFINITELY not what is being referenced here. When it is said that New York will be destroyed it is going to be far worse than 9/11. By the way, 9/11 was not God's doing if some here think it was or possibly could have been.

#24 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3788 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on the edge of the Milky Way.
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

The World Trade Center is DEFINITELY not what is being referenced here. When it is said that New York will be destroyed it is going to be far worse than 9/11. By the way, 9/11 was not God's doing if some here think it was or possibly could have been.

I'm pretty sure it means more than just one building, or even three.

It was no more God's doing than it was God's doing that the lamanites would persecute the nephites.

Did God inspire someone to go blow themselves up? no. Did God remove his protection to some extent? Quite a bit more likely.
However for us it is to acknowledge God's hands in all things... somehow, someway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq